Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Karn's Feud  (Read 12094 times)

FOXSportsFan

Karn's Feud
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2005, 03:14:49 PM »
I comprende, say no more...consider the argument a foot in mouth on my part.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 03:15:04 PM by FOXSportsFan »

uncamark

Karn's Feud
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2005, 04:21:03 PM »
Seems to me that they got a new Ferranti-Packer for the '88 version, or at least an upgrade--since the readouts appeared faster and they could do the split where two lines could change at the same time.  Unlike the Dawson days, the board tended to completely reset by the time Combs was finished saying, "Let's show everyone [name]'s answers--and let's put 20 seconds on the clock..."

And "...five more seconds, because it's harder" or something like it has been standard host verbiage on "Feud" from the beginning.  Even when Dawson or Combs didn't go through the rules at the top of Fast Money, they seemed to almost always mention not repeating answers and the extra time.  Maybe Karn could find different ways to say it, but perhaps Gaby Johnston's just relieved that he can keep on track.

Casey

Karn's Feud
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2005, 10:44:19 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 8 2005, 03:21 PM\']Seems to me that they got a new Ferranti-Packer for the '88 version, or at least an upgrade--since the readouts appeared faster and they could do the split where two lines could change at the same time.  Unlike the Dawson days, the board tended to completely reset by the time Combs was finished saying, "Let's show everyone [name]'s answers--and let's put 20 seconds on the clock..."
[snapback]93643[/snapback]
[/quote]
It could also be (and maybe you are in fact saying this) that the computer that controls the board was upgraded to something a little more sophisticated.  I've got to think the 1976 computer had all the power of a Commodore VIC-20.

I seem to remember on the Combs version, when Combs would do the intro and the board would quickly reverse itself that during a special week they had some sort of a graphic on the board in it's reversed mode.  Just a faint memory in a far recessed brain cell, but I thought they had it showing something other than just "Family Feud" from time to time.

TheInquisitiveOne

Karn's Feud
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2005, 01:05:18 AM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' date=\'Aug 9 2005, 09:44 PM\']I seem to remember on the Combs version, when Combs would do the intro and the board would quickly reverse itself that during a special week they had some sort of a graphic on the board in it's reversed mode.  Just a faint memory in a far recessed brain cell, but I thought they had it showing something other than just "Family Feud" from time to time.
[snapback]93734[/snapback]
[/quote]

There was a time in 1990 (correct me if I am wrong) when the reversed mode actually said "Merry Xmas." Said week of episodes aired on GSN about a year or so ago.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

FOXSportsFan

Karn's Feud
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2005, 10:55:20 AM »
I'm almost certain that they aired the 1988 Xmas eps which had said effect to the big board.

TimK2003

Karn's Feud
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2005, 12:03:58 PM »
The only thing about the Karn Feud I'd like to see different are all the caffeinated camera zoom-ins from practically every corner of the studio.

An occasional "flying camera" shot is OK, perhaps at the beginning or end of the show, but some of those shots look like Fremantle put a mini-camera on the top of a paper airplane and threw it from the top of the audience bleachers just to see what it looks like on TV.

TPIR does a few flying camera shots -- but only on the Million Dollar Specials, and they use it conservatively.  And by not using the flying camera at all on the daytime version makes the effect even better on primetime.  I think if they used that technique on the daytime show on the same frequency as Feud, it would get old and irritating very quickly.

sshuffield70

Karn's Feud
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2005, 02:18:53 PM »
The worst use of flying cameras has to be "Tonight Show".  As much as love the show and Jay, those flying shots, especially the camera that flies around and then focuses and "bounces" off Kevin, can make anyone puke.

musicman

Karn's Feud
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2005, 10:52:03 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Aug 10 2005, 01:18 PM\']The worst use of flying cameras has to be "Tonight Show".  As much as love the show and Jay, those flying shots, especially the camera that flies around and then focuses and "bounces" off Kevin, can make anyone puke.
[snapback]93805[/snapback]
[/quote]

FYI: That "flying camera" is called a jib. ;)

BTW, the "bouning" shot of Kevin Eubanks is actually done by a camera on a regular studio pedestal.

musicman

Karn's Feud
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2005, 10:59:33 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Aug 10 2005, 11:03 AM\']The only thing about the Karn Feud I'd like to see different are all the caffeinated camera zoom-ins from practically every corner of the studio.

An occasional "flying camera" shot is OK, perhaps at the beginning or end of the show, but some of those shots look like Fremantle put a mini-camera on the top of a paper airplane and threw it from the top of the audience bleachers just to see what it looks like on TV.
[snapback]93784[/snapback]
[/quote]

Are you saying you want MORE of these "caffeinated" camera shots?

I have some issues with those "flying" shots.  Why is there only one jib on one side of the studio, and why is there a jib in the first place?!

BrandonFG

Karn's Feud
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2005, 12:15:01 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Aug 10 2005, 01:18 PM\']The worst use of flying cameras has to be "Tonight Show".  As much as love the show and Jay, those flying shots, especially the camera that flies around and then focuses and "bounces" off Kevin, can make anyone puke.
[snapback]93805[/snapback]
[/quote]

I agree, it's more irritating than anything. HSq did something similar during the first few seasons, and I was kinda glad that they at least toned it down during the H2 era.

The one Feud shot I can't stand is when they have the long credits, and at the very end, the "jib" gets a shot of the set, then does a 45 degree tilt. Don't know why, but they only started doing this during the Karn era. (save the fancy camerawork for MTV, guys. :-P)

Slightly related to the FF cameras, I actually liked how during Louie's intros, they'd start with a swooping shot of the set, and how right before Fast Money, the boom (?) cam would zoom down toward Louie and one of the contestants.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 12:18:20 AM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Brandon Brooks

Karn's Feud
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2005, 09:13:58 AM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Aug 10 2005, 09:59 PM\']    Are you saying you want MORE of these "caffeinated" camera shots?
[snapback]93853[/snapback]
[/quote]
You TOTALLY misread his statement.  At any rate, the occasional jib shot is a nice touch.

Brandon Brooks