Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two Guilty Pleasures  (Read 7593 times)

gwarman2005

Two Guilty Pleasures
« on: August 03, 2005, 08:42:39 PM »
Hey guys, I just completed a great trade with a friend of mine and I picked up a few shows that I hate to admit I like, but screw it, I'm coming out of the closet and I figured this is the best forum to do so....

First, I love Chuck Barris' version of Camouflage.  There.... I said it.  Sure it sounded like an X rated episode of Mr. Roger's Neighborhood (Don't stop now... just a little more), but it's vintage Barris at his best.  If the questions were just a little bit tougher then it might have had a better run.  The pictures were tough, which kind of helps.  I mean, I'm a great puzzle solver, but damn, even I had a rough time with the bonus pictures.

The other.... getting ready to duck... is Jackpot Bowling.  Now before I get banned for saying that..... it's like a blue collar Home Run Derby.  Milton Berle warming up the crowd helps, and only scoring with strikes is cool too.  Besides, anyone who's spent anytime in bowling alleys know how much personality bowlers have.  No MLB stars doing a job for charity, this was all for them, and you could tell they were taking themselves way too seriously.  Comedy gold.  The working man's show.

Ok, now that I've admited my odd loves, I'm just curious what other shows you guys like and you hate to admit you do.  Just the one oddball that sticks out and you don't have any idea why you like but you do.

Thanks in advance for being kind on my first post.  (sorry if this has been discussed before)

MikeK

• Martha!
Two Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 08:53:20 PM »
[quote name=\'gwarman2005\' date=\'Aug 3 2005, 08:42 PM\']Hey guys, I just completed a great trade with a friend of mine and I picked up a few shows that I hate to admit I like, but screw it, I'm coming out of the closet and I figured this is the best forum to do so....

First, I love Chuck Barris' version of Camouflage.  There.... I said it.[/quote]
We have a 12-step program for people like you.  You take the first step.  Then I'll push you down the remaining 11. :-P

Everybody has their own likes and dislikes.  I'm sure there are certain shows I like which many people might think is horrible and vice versa.  You're just the first person I've heard admit to liking Camouflage.  You're a very brave person for admitting it.

BrandonFG

Two Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 10:18:12 PM »
Camouflage=funnier than 90% of most current sitcoms. Give that show 23 episodes for 2005-06! :-P
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

SamJ93

Two Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 11:42:08 PM »
Camouflage does have a bit of a so-bad-it's-good feel, in its defense.  The way it just goes completely over-the-top in every aspect, from the cheesy "suspense" music, to the hyper contestants...almost made you wish Chuck Barris tried a "serious" game show more often. :-)

As for my guilty pleasures...wow, where to begin?  I was a loyal Shop 'til You Drop viewer for 5 years, until the show moved to PAX (no affiliate in my area).  Heck, Quicksilver wasn't all that bad, either.  Oh, and for some reason, Patrick Wayne and his "YOU'RRRRRRE RIGHT!!!!!"s seem to have completely escaped my memory when I watched the USA reruns at the tender age of 9...I remember actually liking the show.

And finally, in case you still don't want to shoot me yet...I never really found MG7x all that funny.  It had its moments, and it's an OK way to kill a half-hour, but I never go out of my way to watch it.  May God have mercy on my soul.

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Two Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 11:57:42 PM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'Aug 3 2005, 10:42 PM\']Oh, and for some reason, Patrick Wayne and his "YOU'RRRRRRE RIGHT!!!!!"s seem to have completely escaped my memory when I watched the USA reruns at the tender age of 9...I remember actually liking the show.
[snapback]93232[/snapback]
[/quote]
No comment, but that does remind me that Patrick Wayne's 1985 SP week is now airing through next Tuesday, only on the network for games.

Doug -- and the countdown to 1400 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

beatlefreak84

Two Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 12:20:31 AM »
Ok, now that I've admited my odd loves, I'm just curious what other shows you guys like and you hate to admit you do. Just the one oddball that sticks out and you don't have any idea why you like but you do.

Mine definitely has to be the dating game show "BZZZ!"  I usually hate dating game shows, but this one really intrigued me.  I liked the whole table-turning "Final BZZZ!" and the interview portions just to give a nice change of pace to the overall dating game atmosphere.  Plus, I was always interested to hear what the interviewers were looking for in their potential dates (I distinctly remember one saying that she just wanted a guy who didn't feel it right to talk about exes.  This was the only question she asked the three guys, and the one who agreed with her got it; no other questions asked!).

Oh, and I have to agree with you on liking "Camouflage."  I've seen only a couple episodes of the show, but I found the game really interesting.  Yes, the questions were easy, but I didn't care so much about that as I did about finding those darn objects in the pictures.  I was so bad at that that it would be until almost the entire picture was removed for me to get the object.  I'm glad Chuck Barris tried a "serious" game show, and I kinda liked Tom Campbell.  He wasn't great, but he wasn't bad, either.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Two Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 02:31:39 AM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Aug 3 2005, 11:20 PM\']
Ok, now that I've admited my odd loves, I'm just curious what other shows you guys like and you hate to admit you do. Just the one oddball that sticks out and you don't have any idea why you like but you do.

Mine definitely has to be the dating game show "BZZZ!"  I usually hate dating game shows, but this one really intrigued me.  I liked the whole table-turning "Final BZZZ!" and the interview portions just to give a nice change of pace to the overall dating game atmosphere.  Plus, I was always interested to hear what the interviewers were looking for in their potential dates (I distinctly remember one saying that she just wanted a guy who didn't feel it right to talk about exes.  This was the only question she asked the three guys, and the one who agreed with her got it; no other questions asked!).
[snapback]93235[/snapback]
[/quote]

BZZZZ!, hard to admit it, was pretty well planned out, and despite it being a dating show, it did have some weird game show elements into it (gaining cash for the team, etc.). The Final BZZZZ! was the best part of the show though, entertaining for a 10 year old.

I'll probably get shot (or banned) for this, but they should replace one of those stupid talk shows for a renewal of this, since the syndicators refuse to put on another game show (prepares for firing range).

-Dave

BrandonFG

Two Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 02:47:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 01:31 AM\']BZZZZ!, hard to admit it, was pretty well planned out, and despite it being a dating show, it did have some weird game show elements into it (gaining cash for the team, etc.). The Final BZZZZ! was the best part of the show though, entertaining for a 10 year old.

I'll probably get shot (or banned) for this, but they should replace one of those stupid talk shows for a renewal of this, since the syndicators refuse to put on another game show (prepares for firing range).
[snapback]93244[/snapback]
[/quote]

Man, I loved watching Bzzz! after school, even with hyper Annie Wood. It was a guilty pleasure for me, even at 14. :-)

I think if it had premiered about 5 years later, it would have a better chance of being on now. Hell, Elimidate's going into its 5th season, Blind Date's getting it's 7th.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Craig Karlberg

Two Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 04:21:32 AM »
I have 2 guilty pleasures.  One from the 70's. the other from a few years ago.

From the past, I certainly can't help watching players trying their darndest to control those darn flippers on that gigantic pinball machine on The Magnificant Marble Machine.  What better way to satisfy my addiction to pinball(& I STILL do to this day).

The other one is Click.  That game was unique in terms of its format.  Who'd thought that game would eventually helped shape the Internet age as we know it now.

BrandonFG

Two Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 07:44:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 03:21 AM\']The other one is Click.  That game was unique in terms of its format.  Who'd thought that game would eventually helped shape the Internet age as we know it now.
[snapback]93248[/snapback]
[/quote]

I agree it was unique and I enjoyed the show. As for it helping shape the Internet, I strongly doubt that a two-season wonder was responsible for making Internet so popular.

Besides, it's a well-known fact Al Gore did that!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 09:27:41 AM by fostergray82 »

Steve Gavazzi

Two Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 09:17:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 04:21 AM\']The other one is Click.  That game was unique in terms of its format.  Who'd thought that game would eventually helped shape the Internet age as we know it now.
[/quote]

Probably you.

sshuffield70

Two Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 09:20:04 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 06:44 AM\'][quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 03:21 AM\']The other one is Click.  That game was unique in terms of its format.  Who'd thought that game would eventually helped shape the Internet age as we know it now.
[/quote]

I agree it was unique and I enjoyed the show. As for it helping shape the Internet, I strongly a two-season wonder was responsible for making Internet so popular.

Besides, it's a well-known fact Al Gore did that!
[snapback]93253[/snapback]
[/quote]

Seacrest......OUT!

DjohnsonCB

Two Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 01:25:09 PM »
"Jackpot Bowling Starring Milton Berle", you may be interested to know, was one of the entries in the 1980 book "The Worst TV Shows Ever" by Bart Andrews and Brad Dunnning.  Two other GS's that made it in were "The Newlywed Game" and the original "Supermarket Sweep".  (Good Grief...doesn't ANYBODY in this world have any respect for anything Talent Associates Ltd. ever produced in the '60s that had nothing to do with secret agents who talk into a shoe or young married couples who live next door to a firehouse?)
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Two Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 02:54:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 01:21 AM\']The other one is Click.  That game was unique in terms of its format.  Who'd thought that game would eventually helped shape the Internet age as we know it now.
[/quote]
Ya know, Karlberg, everytime I think you COULDN'T POSSIBLY say something more idiotic...

...let's just say you are a truly remarkable man.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

Two Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 03:15:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 03:21 AM\']The other one is Click.  That game was unique in terms of its format.  Who'd thought that game would eventually helped shape the Internet age as we know it now.
[/quote]
My curiosity has gotten the better of me. Here's your big chance, Craig. How did it do this?