Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Clock will start as soon as I..."  (Read 5600 times)

Mr. Matté

"Clock will start as soon as I..."
« on: August 07, 2005, 11:33:44 AM »
Shows with timed bonus rounds (or main games) and questions usually have the host stating whether the clock starts when (s)he starts reading the first question or when (s)he finishes reading the first question.

I have two things to ask:

1. Does anyone know the reasoning behind whether the clock starts when the question is first read or when it finished being read on some shows? (ie: Russian Roulette [1st Season], clock starts before question; Family Feud, Blockbusters '87, clock starts after question)

2. Which do you prefer on a show, the clock starting before or after the first question?

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 01:46:39 PM »
#2) Depends on the show, but overall, I prefer the idea of the time starting after the first sentence/clue is given. Even an experienced host can stumble reading a clue, so why penalize the contestant? And, a contestant can get his/her mind into thinking gear during the first question read, hopefully getting the bonus off to a smooth start.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 02:39:51 PM »
The clock timing was likely changed on BB 87 because of the computer system's not-so-timely nature of providing Bill with the clues. By spotting them the first one without the clock ticking, it kind of made up for that.

Similarly, it can change to perhaps "accelerate" a loss, but eating up valuable seconds with some reading. Was this the case in RR's second season or "Friend or Foe?" It's been a bit since I saw either show...

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 03:03:04 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Aug 7 2005, 01:39 PM\']Similarly, it can change to perhaps "accelerate" a loss, but eating up valuable seconds with some reading. Was this the case in RR's second season or "Friend or Foe?" It's been a bit since I saw either show...
[snapback]93545[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't know about FoF, but I do remember the RR clock starting when Mark started the question, not after.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvmitch

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 03:33:37 PM »
My favorite way to start the clock is the way that I see a lot on British and Australian shows (especially $ale and Temptation) where the host says:

"60 seconds on the clock, and the time starts...now What is your favorite color?"

With almost no break between "now" and the first word of the question. These instances are usually when more than one contestant is playing, however, and I think it's better when the contestant is playing against the house to give them more advantage.
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 03:39:09 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Aug 7 2005, 12:33 PM\']"60 seconds on the clock, and the time starts...now What is your favorite color?"
[/quote]
"Blue! No, wait! <BZZZZZZT!!!>"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

daveromanjr

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 04:47:28 PM »
I liked it when they started the clock after the host read the first question becaused it seemed like they put the longest-worded question first so that it wouldn't eat up any seconds off the clock versus shorter ones.

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 05:02:37 PM »
[quote name=\'daveromanjr\' date=\'Aug 7 2005, 01:47 PM\']I liked it when they started the clock after the host read the first question becaused it seemed like they put the longest-worded question first so that it wouldn't eat up any seconds off the clock versus shorter ones.
[/quote]
When I have hosted Feud in the past, if I'm using a Fast Money question that takes some time to read, I put it first in the list for exactly that reason...that way I don't feel the need to rush through it and potentially stumble.

MCArroyo1

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 05:21:29 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 7 2005, 02:03 PM\'][quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Aug 7 2005, 01:39 PM\']Similarly, it can change to perhaps "accelerate" a loss, but eating up valuable seconds with some reading. Was this the case in RR's second season or "Friend or Foe?" It's been a bit since I saw either show...
[snapback]93545[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't know about FoF, but I do remember the RR clock starting when Mark started the question, not after.
[snapback]93549[/snapback]
[/quote]
...during Season One, but that changed for Season Two.  Probably because there would be no way in hell a contestant could otherwise hear all ten questions in the 60 seconds.

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 03:28:49 PM »
"Your time starts NOW!"  seems to be a British-inspired wording.  The first time I heard it used was the first time "Just a Minute!", where Nicholas Parsons says it innumerable times per episode.  "Your subject is 'My Pussy'--Paul Merton, could you please tell us about 'My Pussy' in Just a Minute, starting NOW?"  (Yes, they do get a little racy sometimes.)

sshuffield70

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 11:35:58 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 8 2005, 02:28 PM\']"Your time starts NOW!"  seems to be a British-inspired wording.  The first time I heard it used was the first time "Just a Minute!", where Nicholas Parsons says it innumerable times per episode.  "Your subject is 'My Pussy'--Paul Merton, could you please tell us about 'My Pussy' in Just a Minute, starting NOW?"  (Yes, they do get a little racy sometimes.)
[snapback]93638[/snapback]
[/quote]

I didn't know Nicholas had a pussy. ;D

Mr. Matté

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 04:13:03 PM »
Now that I think about it, I think most cable shows like to use the British format for clocks. (Clock starts now)  

I was flipping through channels last night and came upon On the Cover.  The clock on the show started similar to these British shows you're talking about.  I also remember WinTuition using that format too.  I don't remember any network or syndie shows using that format.  Maybe it's a way producers help the budget.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 04:20:39 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Aug 7 2005, 03:33 PM\']My favorite way to start the clock is the way that I see a lot on British and Australian shows (especially $ale and Temptation) where the host says:

"60 seconds on the clock, and the time starts...now What is your favorite color?"

With almost no break between "now" and the first word of the question. These instances are usually when more than one contestant is playing, however, and I think it's better when the contestant is playing against the house to give them more advantage.[/quote]
That's precisely how we do our timed round on QuizBusters -- but I'm also on record as saying that I stole it from $ale.  We have a slightly longer pause between NOW! and the first question because I have to wait for the shot to change, but the clock doesn't start until the shot changes either.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 05:11:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 9 2005, 01:20 PM\']We have a slightly longer pause between NOW! and the first question because I have to wait for the shot to change, but the clock doesn't start until the shot changes either.
[/quote]
Is there a compelling reason why you couldn't do the shot change right before the NOW? You might be able to get it a little tighter if you did it like this: "The Lightning Round starts..." <take shot change, standby CG> "NOW!" <cue CG clock start>

Yeah, I know, fifteen years, don't screw with what works, but it's the little bit of TV guy in me left talking. :)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 08:11:22 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 9 2005, 05:11 PM\']Is there a compelling reason why you couldn't do the shot change right before the NOW? You might be able to get it a little tighter if you did it like this: "The Lightning Round starts..." <take shot change, standby CG> "NOW!" <cue CG clock start>[/quote]
Ask my director, he's the one who wanted it that way.  I think the idea was that if disaster struck, it would be an easy edit if we needed to replace a lightnng round.  This has never happened.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.