Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Distraction Renewed  (Read 6044 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Distraction Renewed
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2005, 09:40:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Aug 7 2005, 05:36 PM\']Kinda dry show to be honest.  Britain's The Enemy Within is a better executed concept with better production values.
[/quote]
See, I HATED Enemy Within, where I merely tolerated DRC. Enemy just bored me to tears. I dunno, your mileage may vary.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DrJWJustice

Distraction Renewed
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2005, 11:47:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Aug 7 2005, 07:36 PM\'][quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 10:58 PM\']Speaking of cable game shows, I'd kinda like to see Dirty Rotten Cheater return.  It's getting harder and harder to come up with new ideas in the genre (thank God no show has been introduced where the losers get the death penalty!), but I really liked the twist where one player secretly had all the answers.  I thought it deserved a longer life, but that's my $0.02.
[snapback]93338[/snapback]
[/quote]

Kinda dry show to be honest.  Britain's The Enemy Within is a better executed concept with better production values.

Brandon Brooks
[snapback]93571[/snapback]
[/quote]
I haven't seen that show, so I can't comment one way or another.  True, DRC could stand a bit of excitement.  Chris L, excuse me, but this is one instance when bumping the prize budget WAY up might do it.  But, I concede that even if it were in prime time on a major network, it might not be a feasible thing to do in terms of available budget.  A second possibility might involve setting up the possibility that no one wins the prize money at the end.  Any other bright ideers?

BrandonFG

Distraction Renewed
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2005, 12:38:24 AM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Aug 7 2005, 10:47 PM\']I haven't seen that show, so I can't comment one way or another.  True, DRC could stand a bit of excitement.  Chris L, excuse me, but this is one instance when bumping the prize budget WAY up might do it.  But, I concede that even if it were in prime time on a major network, it might not be a feasible thing to do in terms of available budget.  A second possibility might involve setting up the possibility that no one wins the prize money at the end.  Any other bright ideers?
[snapback]93574[/snapback]
[/quote]

Make it a 30-minute show, and maybe just reduce the number of contestants. It seemed to drag on and on as an hour-long show.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Brandon Brooks

Distraction Renewed
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2005, 11:01:28 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 7 2005, 11:38 PM\']Make it a 30-minute show, and maybe just reduce the number of contestants. It seemed to drag on and on as an hour-long show.
[snapback]93584[/snapback]
[/quote]
While I ashamedly do like doctor's the idea of upping the stakes, I think the other Brandon's idea would make a much better show.  I think I thought it was so dry because it just lasted so long.

Brandon Brooks

uncamark

Distraction Renewed
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2005, 03:00:39 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 01:14 PM\']I liked "Distraction", and think Jimmy Carr is a great host. His stand up is even better....

I wonder why CCentral wouldn't want to bring over the UK version as well, just to keep the 'season' going longer?
[snapback]93275[/snapback]
[/quote]

Probably the problem of having edit out five minutes of program to fit a U.S. cable half-hour--especially when some of Carr's contestant interviews are the funniest things on some episodes.  ("Enemy Within" ran edited with minimal damage, but they had the home viewer game mentions as obvious places to edit.)  Granted, they could run it over a half-hour to not edit it, like they did with "AbFab," but what could they use to fill out the rest of the hour?  Gags Americans could get from Carr's other UK show, "Eight Out of Ten Cats" (which is a sort of panel quiz like "Have I Got News for You")?  "Shorties Watching Shorties" modules?  (With "AbFab," they were able to use sketches from "The French and Saunders Show" to fill out the hour.)