Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Swann TTTT Run  (Read 8068 times)

Don Howard

Swann TTTT Run
« on: August 04, 2005, 03:11:06 PM »
Is it coming to an end?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Swann TTTT Run
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 04:11:45 PM »
[quote name=\'cool245\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 02:28 PM\']We have about a week and a half left.
[snapback]93287[/snapback]
[/quote]
With a Parisian flair today--le WHOOOOOOSH!

Doug -- and the countdown to 1400 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Swann TTTT Run
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 04:22:23 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 01:11 PM\']With a Parisian flair today--le WHOOOOOOSH!
[/quote]
Not sure I see why that deserves a whoosh. He answered the question that was asked, which appeared to be neither satirical nor rhetorical.

For once, the guy got one right. We should encourage that.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Swann TTTT Run
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 04:33:50 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 03:22 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 01:11 PM\']With a Parisian flair today--le WHOOOOOOSH!
[/quote]
Not sure I see why that deserves a whoosh. He answered the question that was asked, which appeared to be neither satirical nor rhetorical.

For once, the guy got one right. We should encourage that.
[snapback]93295[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes, it should be encouraged, except I saw Don's post as a joke, considering Terry the K had just double posted that Swann's run was coming to an end.

Hence the whoosh.  And if Don wasn't joking, then I'll gladly accept the whoosh right back.  (And the 50 lashes with the proverbial wet noodle.)

Doug -- and the countdown to 1400 continues
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 04:36:55 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Brandon Brooks

Swann TTTT Run
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 04:39:30 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 03:22 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 01:11 PM\']With a Parisian flair today--le WHOOOOOOSH!
[/quote]
[snapback]93295[/snapback]
[/quote]
Remember, if it's too good to be true, it's probably Don.

Brandon Brooks

clemon79

Swann TTTT Run
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 04:47:52 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 01:33 PM\']Hence the whoosh.  And if Don wasn't joking, then I'll gladly accept the whoosh right back.  (And the 50 lashes with the proverbial wet noodle.)
[/quote]
Fair enough. That was subtle humor, though, so I still think I'd spare the FNG the whoosh. But I'm feeling generous today. :)

FOXSportsFan

Swann TTTT Run
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 02:54:10 PM »
I can understand the argument of Lynn being literally thrusted into the hosting chair and all that, but it's not like the guy has never been on TV before...he really was very cold in the chair on TTTT.  Trebek's eps are indeed better...well if you get by him saying "dough-lars", lol.  

Quick question: We all know about why and how Mark Goodson filled in amicably for Alex during his wife's pregnancy, anyone know why Charlie O' Donnell filled in for Burton late in the run or moreover why Burton got the nod over Charlie?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 02:54:48 PM by FOXSportsFan »

clemon79

Swann TTTT Run
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 03:02:52 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 11:54 AM\']or moreover why Burton got the nod over Charlie?
[/quote]
Burton was a hot commodity due to his popularity as the man who introduced "Arseniooooooooooooooooooooooo Hall!" during that time period, but it would be terribly politically incorrect to suggest that it may very well also have had something to do with the color of his skin, so I won't.

DrBear

Swann TTTT Run
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 04:00:31 PM »
Er, could it also be because Burton is good at what he does? Solid work on both the 90 and 2K TTTTs and on "Russian Roulette."

(By the way, watching the overnights, the announcer on TTTT - name withheld cuz I don't remember it right now - seems to be hurting himself in reading the opening. OK on "What is your name please?" Not bad on "only one is sworn ... To Tell The Truth!" but when he goes into "your host, Bud COLLYER!" he's almost yelping the last name. Listen to that and then compare to how a good announcer - Richardson, O'Donnell or Randy West - handles a similar intro. Emphasis, yes, but keep it in some sort of range.

And not having seen the eps with O'Donnell announcing - I don't know how he did in handling the 1-on-1 segment at the end of the show. The announcer has an additional duty in "shepherding" the audience contestant, and maybe Burton did a little better at that. Just a thought.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

clemon79

Swann TTTT Run
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 04:11:46 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 01:00 PM\']Er, could it also be because Burton is good at what he does?
[/quote]
Could be, but he's not, IMO. He's a caricature. He's over the top and he pukes out of control. He is the complete antithesis of what you would want in a TTTT announcer, especially for the 1990 version of the show that was in every other way attempting to project a "high-class" vibe.

Maybe he had pictures of someone high up at G/T with a goat or something, but if he was hired solely for his on-air ability, then whoever was in charge of such things is an exceeding poor judge of talent.

davemackey

Swann TTTT Run
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 04:27:27 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 04:00 PM\']Er, could it also be because Burton is good at what he does? Solid work on both the 90 and 2K TTTTs and on "Russian Roulette."

(By the way, watching the overnights, the announcer on TTTT - name withheld cuz I don't remember it right now
[snapback]93419[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hint: It starts with Bern and ends with Bennett.

tyshaun1

Swann TTTT Run
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 10:36:30 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 03:02 PM\']But it would be terribly politically incorrect to suggest that it may very well also have had something to do with the color of his skin, so I won't.
[snapback]93408[/snapback]
[/quote]

But to imply that someone's VOICE was picked because of the voice's skin color is completely ignorant, IMO.

Tyshaun

FOXSportsFan

Swann TTTT Run
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 12:36:57 PM »
Well, yeah Burton was a hot commodity, but I was surprised he'd go from solely being Arsenio's main man (I'm turning into Ahmad Rashad) to being a game show announcer.  I'm not knocking Burton...he may very well of been one of the positives of TTTT 90.  But I would think that Charlie O's voice would be a little more suitable for a show that went that regal.  Burton held his own though, and he was indeed solid on TTTT2K.

I'll agree with Chris on the fact that Burton is somewhat of a caricature...he has the stereotypical top 40 voice, which can be both a plus and a minus.  It's a plus because it's a voice familiar to everyone and you can get hired with it.  The minus is...it's a voice familiar to everyone.  I mean the way I see it variety is what separates the men from the boys...the Gene Woods and Johnny Gilberts from the Rich Jeffries and Mark Driscolls of the world, if you will.  Burton has range (Russian Roulette and his NBC primetime VOs prove that), but like with any announcer some shows he's better suited for than others.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 12:38:01 PM by FOXSportsFan »

clemon79

Swann TTTT Run
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 04:05:15 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Aug 6 2005, 07:36 AM\']But to imply that someone's VOICE was picked because of the voice's skin color is completely ignorant, IMO.
[/quote]
Is it? I'd like to think we live in a world where skin color wouldn't be an influencing factor in that decision (or any decision for that matter), but the fact is we do not, and will not as long as there are programs like Affirmative Action in place that allegedly "level the playing field."

I'm not saying it WAS, mind you. In fact, I hope it wasn't. What I AM saying is that as announcers go, I think Burton Richardson is just plain bad, and that there must be some other factor that contributes to him continuing to draw a paycheck. Is it coincidental that he happens to be an African-American working in a business largely dominated by white guys? I hope so.
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Aug 6 2005, 09:36 AM\']It's a plus because it's a voice familiar to everyone and you can get hired with it.
[/quote]
If you think being a puker is a positive trait in broadcasting, you are not going to last very long in the business.

tyshaun1

Swann TTTT Run
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2005, 10:32:48 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 6 2005, 04:05 PM\']I'm not saying it WAS, mind you. In fact, I hope it wasn't. What I AM saying is that as announcers go, I think Burton Richardson is just plain bad, and that there must be some other factor that contributes to him continuing to draw a paycheck. Is it coincidental that he happens to be an African-American working in a business largely dominated by white guys? I hope so.
[snapback]93483[/snapback]
[/quote]

Mind you, I'm not defending Burton. I also believe he is of the stereotypical type in terms of announcers (His "It's time to plaaaaaaaaay, Family Feuuuuuuuuuuud!" really grates on me) But Burton's shown he can do subtle (Russian Roulette)and professional(Wintuition)  voices as well. Maybe the style he employs on TTTT '90 and FF is what the director wants, perhaps?

Tyshaun