Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Remember Joe Pyne?  (Read 3464 times)

DrBear

Remember Joe Pyne?
« on: August 05, 2005, 10:26:51 PM »
For those oldies who remember angry talk host Joe Pyne, who hosted the short-lived "Showdown," Mark Evanier remembers the late Mr. Pyne. And he gives Joe all the compliments he probably deserved, considering Joe was once quoted as saying "Take your false teeth out, put 'em in backward and bite your throat, huh?"
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Remember Joe Pyne?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 11:28:05 PM »
If it weren't for the fact that it's generationally and biologically impossible, Joe Pyne could be thought of as the love child of Bill O'Reilly and Don Rickles.

sshuffield70

Remember Joe Pyne?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 11:49:02 PM »
Joe Pyne was cited as an influence on a 1980's talk show (so that leaves out Jerry Springer).  It would be the NYC based "Morton Downey, Jr. Show"

ObGS:  As lame as it is, Mort made a few appearances on TTTT '90.

The Ol' Guy

Remember Joe Pyne?
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 01:09:59 AM »
Nice work, Mark. That brings back memories. Not only was Joe's show seen up here, but so was his competitor's, Alan Burke. Burke seemed a bit more civilized. Can't remember if he had an audience "beef box" like Joe did. But the casting of Pyne was interesting for Showdown, probably meant to add spice to a weak format. The contestants dropping out of sight for incorrect answers could have been done in fun, but Joe razzed the contestants, telling them to "take a hike." After the amusement value of Joe's acid comments wore off, all that was left was an uncompelling game - even with The Bantams. Fritz Bantam is still playing, last I read. (www.GeoCities.com/FritzGame)

500? Wow...never thought my post number would catch up with my age...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 01:15:06 AM by The Ol' Guy »