Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows on the road...  (Read 5024 times)

urbanpreppie05

Game Shows on the road...
« on: August 08, 2005, 10:55:01 AM »
I was so bored here at work, so I thought...where have game shows visited (other cities BESIDES their normal taping location) over the years?

And here's the list- please add to it, edit- if you like! (and I know you will)

Atlanta- Wheel of Fortune
Columbus, OH- Wheel of Fortune
Miami- Wheel of Fortune
Houston- Wheel of Fortune
NYC- Wheel of Fortune, Hollywood Squares
Seattle- Wheel of Fortune
Kansas City- Wheel of Fortune
Phoenix- Wheel of Fortune
San Diego- Wheel of Fortune
Las vegas- Wheel of Fortune, The Price is Right, Hollywood Squares, Jeopardy, Let's Make A Deal,
Pittsburgh- Wheel of Fortune
Philadelphia- Wheel of Fortune
Chicago- Wheel of Fortune
Boston- Wheel of Fortune
Washington D.C.- Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy
Dallas- Wheel Of Fortune
Nashville-Wheel Of Fortune, family Feud
Stockholm, Sweden- Jeopardy
Hollywood, FL- Hollywood Squares
The Bahamas- Hollywood Squares
insert signature here

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 11:00:10 AM »
NYC-Jeopardy
Norfolk-Wheel
Remote Control-various MTV Spring Breaks
Win Ben Stein's Money was done on some beach, but I can't remember which one.
Chicago-Win Lose or Draw
Hawaii-Win Lose or Draw
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 11:09:52 AM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Aug 8 2005, 09:55 AM\']I was so bored here at work, so I thought...where have game shows visited (other cities BESIDES their normal taping location) over the years?

[snapback]93608[/snapback]
[/quote]

Besides the shows you mention in your post:
WOF, Millionaire(Play It attraction), and WLOD have gone to Disney World.
Remote Control, Singled Out, and Idiot Savants have gone to Florida in conjunction with MTV Spring Break events.
WLOD taped in NYC, Philly, Chicago, and Hawaii in addition to Disney World.
Pictionary did a 1998 week from either Universal or MGM Studios.
You Don't Say taped in Cypress Gardens at one point in the 60s.
WOF did at least one stint of shows from Frisco.
70s Pyramid did several weeks in LA, if you want to count that.
The 1996-97 Newlywed Game with Gary Kroeger did a week in Vegas.
J! was in Atlanta to tape the 2000 TofC, in NYC in 2002 for the Million Dollar Masters tourney and the 4000th show, and has done college tourneys from Berkeley, Yale, and U of Pittsburgh.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 11:50:24 AM »
Not sure if you want to count $10KP, which taped in NY normally but did a few weeks at CBS TV City in L.A. (and those are the "surviving" eps that GSN showed during their PYRAMID Thursday blocks).

EDIT:  Sorry, didn't see it in Zachary's short list.

EDIT AGAIN:  If you're counting Vegas for LMAD (they spent a season there--I don't recall them making periodic trips to Vegas from L.A., although I could be wrong), then you gotta count Orlando and Vancouver as well.

Doug -- and the countdown to 1400 continues
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 11:59:13 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 02:46:39 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 8 2005, 10:50 AM\']EDIT AGAIN:  If you're counting Vegas for LMAD (they spent a season there--I don't recall them making periodic trips to Vegas from L.A., although I could be wrong), then you gotta count Orlando and Vancouver as well.

[snapback]93616[/snapback]
[/quote]

They made *one* trip to Vegas in early '76, where they taped a number of syndie episodes and a week of daytime shows with an experimental one-hour format.  All I can remember is that there was still only one Big Deal.  That was the only time in the original run (until the last syndie year) that they didn't originate from either Burbank or Prospect and Talmadge.

MitchJoseph2004

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 03:45:43 PM »
Columbus, OH has also had a visit by Jeopardy for one of the recent College Tournys at Ohio St.

DJDustman

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 04:31:06 PM »
Hollywood Squares in 1988 visited Club Med in the Bahamas for a week's worth of shows.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 04:52:31 PM »
[quote name=\'DJDustman\' date=\'Aug 8 2005, 04:31 PM\']Hollywood Squares in 1988 visited Club Med in the Bahamas for a week's worth of shows.[/quote]
Hey Deej, it was mentioned by the OP.  Thanks for playing the game.  Enjoy your press-on nails. :-P

Some additions...
*  Jeopardy!'s 2001 College Championships were at UCLA.
*  About a decade ago, Cash Explosion, the Ohio Lottery show, used to do one show every month or two away from WEWS' studios in Cleveland.
*  The ESPN show Dream League taped numerous shows in Atlanta around the time of one of the Atlanta-hosted Super Bowls. (XXIX in '95?)
*  A real stretch--Paranoia was on location at multiple at-home players' residences or towns each show.

DJDustman

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 06:50:14 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Aug 8 2005, 03:52 PM\'][quote name=\'DJDustman\' date=\'Aug 8 2005, 04:31 PM\']Hollywood Squares in 1988 visited Club Med in the Bahamas for a week's worth of shows.[/quote]
Hey Deej, it was mentioned by the OP.  Thanks for playing the game.  Enjoy your press-on nails. :-P
[snapback]93651[/snapback]
[/quote]

Crap, didn't see that up there.  But hey, how fun, can I pawn the press on nails?

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 09:01:35 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 8 2005, 10:09 AM\']The 1996-97 Newlywed Game with Gary Kroeger did a week in Vegas.
[snapback]93613[/snapback]
[/quote]
There was also a week of shows where each day was taped in a different city. I remember Dallas being one of the days.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 09:16:33 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

zachhoran

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 09:09:44 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 8 2005, 08:01 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 8 2005, 10:09 AM\']Remote Control, Singled Out, and Idiot Savants have gone to Florida in conjunction with MTV Spring Break events.
WLOD taped in NYC, Philly, Chicago, and Hawaii in addition to Disney World.
[/quote]
I mentioned the stuff in bold. Please see above. :-P

[snapback]93671[/snapback]
[/quote]

I was typing my post while you were sending yours.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 09:17:46 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 8 2005, 08:09 PM\']I was typing my post while you were sending yours.
[snapback]93673[/snapback]
[/quote]

I see.....post edited. :-P
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 09:18:25 PM by fostergray82 »

geno57

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2005, 10:03:08 PM »
Jan Murray's "Charge Account" was done live, from the beach in Fort Lauderdale, for two weeks in 1962.

Now you KNOW I'm old!

Queen of Nerdocrombesia

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 12:14:52 PM »
I've Got A Secret did at least one show in Florida in 1957. I believe these were done at Winter Haven during their Florida Citrus Festival.

I don't qualify for a walker yet, do I?
"These days, if a show doesn't make it in a couple of weeks, it goes out in the alley.  Faith has become too expensive."

--Garry Moore, 1979

byrd62

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2005, 11:10:17 PM »
And don't forget the original 1965-67 version of Supermarket Sweep, which was shot on location at supermarkets up and down the East Coast of the US.

Or even Born Lucky in 1992, where Bob Goen and that Aussie announcer-sidekick of his went to various malls in southern California.