Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stuff you've watched because of the GS celebs  (Read 1417 times)

Jay Temple

Stuff you've watched because of the GS celebs
« on: August 07, 2012, 01:00:05 PM »
What have  you watched for no other reason than the presence of someone you knew from game shows?

I started watching Hogan's Heroes only because I'd seen Richard on MG and FF.
I watched Teresa Ganzel and Ed Begley, Jr., in Transylvania 6-5000.
I gave the parody miniseries Fresno a shot because Teresa was in it, although even as a parody, it didn't hold my interest long enough to see her.
I'm not sure whether I watched Hotel because of Heidi, Michael and Nathan, but I was certainly aware of them at the time I watched.
Dick Clark Productions (with Bob Stewart) had a series, You Are the Jury. Until I researched it for this post, I thought it was a one-time special, that's how little awareness I had. Anyway, the May 1986 edition had Constance McCashin in it, which is the only reason I knew about it, let alone saw it. (As it turns out, Meg Bennett was one of the writers as well.)
(As much as I love Get Smart, my decision to watch that was based purely on seeing the promos. Barbara Feldon was a bonus.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 01:10:26 PM »
Watched "Hogan's Heroes" for the same reason, as well as shows where game show hosts played as extras (i.e. Peter Tomarken on quite a few late-70s programs).

When I was about 9, I remember watching a George Hamilton movie called "Love at First Bite", mainly because Arte Johnson co-starred.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Winkfan

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 03:56:05 PM »
I first saw the 1953 movie "Take The High Ground" sometime in the late '70s or early '80s mainly because Elaine Stewart was the leading lady in it. In fact, when I found out she was a film star, I used to check the old TV Guide movie section to see which of her films were airing. I have since DVD'd it. In recent years, I've done likewise with Dick Clark in both "Beacuse They're Young" and "The Young Doctors;" as well as the Winkster in "Let's Rock."

I even have a couple of DVDs of old movie serials that Warren Hull starred in way before Strike It Rich. They are "Mandrake The Magician" (1939) and "The Green Hornet Strikes Again" (1941).

Cordially,
Tammy
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 12:58:41 AM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

mbclev

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 03:58:15 PM »
Dick Clark Productions (with Bob Stewart) had a series, You Are the Jury. Until I researched it for this post, I thought it was a one-time special, that's how little awareness I had. Anyway, the May 1986 edition had Constance McCashin in it, which is the only reason I knew about it, let alone saw it. (As it turns out, Meg Bennett was one of the writers as well.)

Constance actually promoted this show on the final day of her first week on "Super Password" in December 1984.  I don't know why it took too long in between promotion and show to air.

JMFabiano

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 07:14:16 PM »
I got interested in Betty White in general because of her role as a game show mainstay.  (Before then, The Golden Girls was "too girly" for me, and I didn't really follow Mary Tyler Moore, and didn't even know about Life With Elizabeth)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

GrandGame1440

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 08:17:32 PM »
I remember waking up at the crack of dawn in the early 90s just to see Alex Trebek guest host Good Morning America.  Same goes for Pat Sajak when he'd fill in for Larry King.