Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dick Clark WILL host Rockin' Eve  (Read 3153 times)

Matt Ottinger

Dick Clark WILL host Rockin' Eve
« on: August 15, 2005, 01:23:34 PM »
Good news for those of us who thought Dick's stroke had forced him from broadcasting permanently.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/...rk.seacrest.ap/
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 01:38:41 PM »
Am I the only one who feels that Ryan Secrest has no right to be up there.  He's a talentless "presenter" and doesn't deserve to walk in any path of Dick Clark IMO.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 01:46:20 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 01:38 PM\']Am I the only one who feels that Ryan Secrest has no right to be up there.  He's a talentless "presenter" and doesn't deserve to walk in any path of Dick Clark IMO.[/quote]
Actually, his talent at being a "presenter" is very good.  If you're going to trash him because he doesn't have any traditional performance talents like acting or singing, you'll have a hard time separating him from some of the legends of game shows, including Dick Clark himself.  

Seacrest is good at what he does.  If he wasn't, he'd be Dunkleman.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Pyramid80

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 02:02:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 12:23 PM\']Good news for those of us who thought Dick's stroke had forced him from broadcasting permanently.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/...rk.seacrest.ap/
[snapback]94217[/snapback]
[/quote]
This is awesome news!  I just got about 5 Google Alert e-mails, so I knew something with DC was going on.  Glad that he is doing better and definitely planning on returning this December.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 02:41:01 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 10:38 AM\']Am I the only one who feels that Ryan Secrest has no right to be up there.  He's a talentless "presenter" and doesn't deserve to walk in any path of Dick Clark IMO.
[/quote]
You're probably not the only one, but I certainly don't agree with you. Lessee, Seacrest hosts one of the most popular shows on television, and has managed to displace both Rick Dees AND Kasey Casem from their radio gigs. Clearly he's doing something right.

(And he's a smart businessman, too. The article states that the intent is that Seacrest eventually take over the whole NYE show. VERY good way to make sure you never fall out of the public eye. He's set.)

As a "presenter", I like him, actually. He's one of the few (and I'm looking directly at you, Vernon Kay) who at least makes it look like he's not reading lines, and appears to speak extemporaneously to the performers in the quickie interview segments after their songs. I'm not a huge fan of the genre that typically shows up on AI, and yet I will watch it (if something else doesn't get in the way - Tuesdays are gonna be a logjam in the fall, what with Race, Commander In Chief, Gilmore Girls, and Boston Legal) simply to watch Seacrest work. (Okay, that dope video screen has something to do with it, too.)

At any rate, we're getting away from the real news here, which is that Dick Clark has recovered to the point where he thinks he can at least go back to work on a limited basis. Which, personally, makes my day.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe