Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Joker's Wild  (Read 4727 times)

gsnstooge

The Joker's Wild
« on: August 18, 2005, 06:43:10 AM »
What happens when there is a tie in the audience game?

zachhoran

The Joker's Wild
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 07:34:52 AM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 05:43 AM\']What happens when there is a tie in the audience game?
[snapback]94453[/snapback]
[/quote]

IIRC the tied players spun again, and the higher score would play part two of the bonus.

Sonic Whammy

The Joker's Wild
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 11:27:04 AM »
Zach, you hit the nail on the head. And just to add to it, when the tied players spun again, they also won the total values of both spins. Not bad, really, it could mean another $100+ in pocket money.

On the same matter, though, I'LL add a question. The biggest spin I ever saw in the audience game was $250. It was done in a $100-$50-$100 combination. I mark this interesting, because the only possible way to do better is $300, and I NEVER saw the $100 show up in the middle window, only on the sides. Has anyone ever seen it otherwise?

(WOO-HOO! POST #100! *cup of confetti*)
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The Joker's Wild
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 12:08:36 PM »
I shall also add a question while we're on the topic:

WHY?

The audience game took up roughly five minutes (more?) of show, where we got to see three random people pull the lever, then another bonus game.  No questions, nothing, just a silly game, then closing the show.  Was it cheaper to do an audience game than a regular game segment?  Was it in place of the door prizes that happen at the end of the taping?  

If I want an audience game, there's TPIR or Deal...it doesn't seem right on Joker's Wild.
Travis L. Eberle

Ian Wallis

The Joker's Wild
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 01:16:57 PM »
Although I didn't mind the audience game, I think they played it too often.  On most of the 1982-83 episodes GSN has run in the past, the audience game was played.  Funny...I didn't remember it being played as often when I watched the episodes in first run.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

The Joker's Wild
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 08:30:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 12:16 PM\']Although I didn't mind the audience game, I think they played it too often.  On most of the 1982-83 episodes GSN has run in the past, the audience game was played.  Funny...I didn't remember it being played as often when I watched the episodes in first run.
[snapback]94502[/snapback]
[/quote]

Didn't they play it on every show for at least a couple of seasons? I remember first seeing it at some point in the 1981-82 season. It was discontinued for the 1985-86 season. TTD's answer to TJW's audience game, Dragon Finder, only lasted for a few months in the 1983-84 season

mystery7

The Joker's Wild
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 08:58:15 PM »
Right up 'til the end, if I remember. '81 was the first of the audience shows, and the first season with the new set - y'think they just needed an excuse to show off the audience side?

tvwxman

The Joker's Wild
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 09:30:00 AM »
My speculative two cents.

I would imagine the researchers and consulants determined that the audiences loved the "Face the Devil" bonus round more than they enjoyed the front game. By having the audience game added, it gave em a chance to play a luck-filled bonus round at least once more per day.

Kinda like the WoF researchers and consultants determining that the audience wants more puzzles to solve, and couldn't care less about extra spinning in the half hour. The solution? Toss-Ups!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Neumms

The Joker's Wild
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 10:15:14 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Aug 19 2005, 08:30 AM\']I would imagine the researchers and consulants determined that the audiences loved the "Face the Devil" bonus round more than they enjoyed the front game.
[snapback]94620[/snapback]
[/quote]

Would Barry and Enright have had researchers and consultants?

"Joker's Wild" was getting tired by that point. The audience game at least threw something different into the half hour. Not as different as, say, interesting categories or a new, actually exciting bonus round, but it helped a little.

tvwxman

The Joker's Wild
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 10:23:15 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Aug 19 2005, 09:15 AM\']Would Barry and Enright have had researchers and consultants?
[snapback]94625[/snapback]
[/quote]

If they had ratings, they had researchers and consulants.....
-------------

Matt

uncamark

The Joker's Wild
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 06:02:29 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Aug 19 2005, 08:30 AM\']My speculative two cents.

I would imagine the researchers and consulants determined that the audiences loved the "Face the Devil" bonus round more than they enjoyed the front game. By having the audience game added, it gave em a chance to play a luck-filled bonus round at least once more per day.

Kinda like the WoF researchers and consultants determining that the audience wants more puzzles to solve, and couldn't care less about extra spinning in the half hour. The solution? Toss-Ups!
[snapback]94620[/snapback]
[/quote]

Supposedly, said researcher and consultant who came up with toss-ups being Mr. P. Sajak.

GS Warehouse

The Joker's Wild
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 07:53:58 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 19 2005, 05:02 PM\']Supposedly, said researcher and consultant who came up with toss-ups being Mr. P. Sajak.
[snapback]94636[/snapback]
[/quote]
I thought it was Pat's idea to add $1,000 to the final spin.

tvwxman

The Joker's Wild
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 09:55:22 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 19 2005, 05:02 PM\']Supposedly, said researcher and consultant who came up with toss-ups being Mr. P. Sajak.
[snapback]94636[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, I read that article too.... I personally don't buy it completely....I'm sure he made the suggestion, and i'm sure he takes the credit for it, but the idea to incorporate more puzzles in a half hour had to come from something else more research driven...

The year prior to the premiere of the mighty toss-up, didn't they have a puzzle start the show, that Pat gave the solution to as he was approaching his spot?   That must've been the first solution to the increased puzzles idea....
-------------

Matt

Steve Gavazzi

The Joker's Wild
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2005, 10:22:18 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Aug 19 2005, 09:55 PM\']The year prior to the premiere of the mighty toss-up, didn't they have a puzzle start the show, that Pat gave the solution to as he was approaching his spot?   That must've been the first solution to the increased puzzles idea....
[snapback]94668[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ah, yes...the "Preview Puzzle."  They had the "Puzzler" that year, too -- a partially-filled-in puzzle relating to the first or second puzzle that the winner could solve for...it was probably $3000.

TimK2003

The Joker's Wild
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 07:53:07 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 11:08 AM\']The audience game took up roughly five minutes (more?) of show, where we got to see three random people pull the lever, then another bonus game.  No questions, nothing, just a silly game, then closing the show.  Was it cheaper to do an audience game than a regular game segment?  Was it in place of the door prizes that happen at the end of the taping? 
If I want an audience game, there's TPIR or Deal...it doesn't seem right on Joker's Wild.
[snapback]94491[/snapback]
[/quote]

You are correct in saying that audience game was just not right for the show.  When I first saw them doing that game, something did not feel right about that game.  

After a few weeks I figured out why I personally didn't like that game -- To me it felt like they were doing it for the trailer park demographics.

The vast majority of those people who were called to play that game were of the type that even with the dumbed-down multiple choice questions in the main game by that time, they'd still have a hard time getting many of those questions right if they actually auditioned and made it onto the show as main game contestants.

Many of those people looked like they could be cast as close friends to Jerry Seinfeld's parents or Uncle Leo on Seinfeld.   And that Hal Hidey music cue they used to call down the contestants just screamed of a hillbilly flea-market hoe-down.

"Look Martha, I done just won a hundred n forty dollars on that there Joker's Wild TV Show.  Now we can get a 19" black & white for the front room of our trailer with a built-in an-tenny...Yee Haw!"  

Anybody else think that audience game was going for a slightly different demographic?