Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This year's GSC...  (Read 12272 times)

jdhernandez

This year's GSC...
« on: August 22, 2005, 01:31:43 AM »
...was phenomenal. I'll make a short post here about it.

Everything this year was fantastic, and it was so great getting to meet so many of you for the first time, and getting to see many who I have met before . . . but it is always a pleasure! It's not just meeting these game show legends that make the weekend, but meeting my extended family, of sorts. Like I've said before, we are all just one big (sorta dysfunctional) happy game show family, and I'm so glad to be a part of it.

Since this is my 100th post, I'd better make it a little special, eh?

The roundtable was incredible, and getting to meet Guillermo Huesca was just an absolute treat. He is quite possibly the future of Latino game shows, or all game shows, for that matter. Such a personable guy, and one of my new favourite people. I really think with hosts like him, Todd Newton (who was also at the roundtable), and Marco Antonio Regil; the future of game shows are safe, even though part of that future is in another language and south of the border.

The legends were incredible, that entire luncheon really made it special. Getting to see Monty Hall, Pat Carroll, and the brothers Narz were such an honor to me. I know all of you feel the same way to even be in the same room as such legends of this genre we love so much.

That's all, I am out. Peace. :-)

PS: Hi, Mr. Ottinger! =D
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

BrandonFG

This year's GSC...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 01:32:49 AM »
Pictures...I need pictures. :-P
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

This year's GSC...
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 03:26:11 AM »
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 01:31 AM\']PS: Hi, Mr. Ottinger! =D[/quote]
Please.  You don't have to call me Mr. Ottinger.  "Sir" will be just fine.

My best guess is that about twenty Forum members were there, including several who post with some frequency and several who hardly post at all.  I also met many non-members (including some industry pros) who tell me they read the Forum with some regularity.  Your voices are being heard!

One of the joys for me is to see a bunch of you in person.  I'm amazed that Klauss and I had never met before this weekend, for example.  I hope we'll hear from others who were there, and you'll get a longer report from me when I'm back home tomorrow.  In the meantime, as Jason said, it was a blast!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Steve McClellan

This year's GSC...
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 05:19:36 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 21 2005, 10:32 PM\']Pictures...I need pictures. :-P[/quote]
Particularly one of Mike K.'s first Winners' Circle. ;)

TimK2003

This year's GSC...
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 10:46:58 AM »
Have they announced the dates of the next GSC yet for 2006?

Looking into my spinning Bullseye swirling window, I forsee a much better opportunity to attend next year as a possible relocation may put me within a long day's drive to LA.

With that in mind, if relocation does take place, there's a strong possibility that those living along the Continental Divide may have a GSC (the original GSC/Game Show Convention) in their future as well.

*The possible relocation news is brought to you by now-convicted Governor Bob 'A-Hole' Taft, of the Great State of Ohio who is effectively doing his part to drive as many people out of his state as he can before he leaves office -- voluntarily or not.  Thank you, Bob!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
This year's GSC...
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 11:04:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 02:26 AM\']I hope we'll hear from others who were there, and you'll get a longer report from me when I'm back home tomorrow.  In the meantime, as Jason said, it was a blast!
[snapback]94739[/snapback]
[/quote]
Just to say you heard from me.

I'll also attempt to put a spin on this when I return home Tuesday as well (I just hope there'll be something left for me to write about :-) ).

As to Tim K.'s question, I believe they're targeting the same weekend next year (which would be 8/18-20, but back in Burbank this time around--where I'm headed now).

Doug -- broadcasting remotely
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
This year's GSC...
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 06:20:15 PM »
What was the entire composition of the roundtable?

mystery7

This year's GSC...
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 06:31:58 PM »
Or the entire thing, for that matter? Last year's got a lot of hype, but I didn't even hear nothing about this year's.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
This year's GSC...
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 06:54:19 PM »
I can tell you that there was an 11th-hour cancellation of a presentation on game show music. An attempt was first made to get Bob Israel, then an attempt was made to get Edd Kalehoff. Both individuals are based in New York (Score Productions no longer maintains a California office) so bringing either one to Glendale would have required a budget for travel and accomodations, as well as possible rental of a synthesizer and/or sound system.

JayDLewis

This year's GSC...
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 07:44:11 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 05:20 PM\']What was the entire composition of the roundtable?
[snapback]94806[/snapback]
[/quote]

Formica. With a laminate of oak. Stainless legs.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

megoodgal1

This year's GSC...
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 07:53:49 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 03:54 PM\'] so bringing either one to Glendale would have required a budget for travel and accomodations,
[snapback]94809[/snapback]
[/quote]

Was the GSC in Glendale??!!  I was born and raised there.  Curious why Glendale over Burbank if GSC was indeed there.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
This year's GSC...
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 08:09:37 PM »
[quote name=\'megoodgal1\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 04:53 PM\']Was the GSC in Glendale??!!  I was born and raised there.  Curious why Glendale over Burbank if GSC was indeed there.
[/quote]
One would guess the hall was cheaper, or indeed available.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
This year's GSC...
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2005, 10:35:06 PM »
A recent Zogby poll showed that game show fans and professionals alike prefer Glendale over Burbank by a five-to-one margin. No?

I hear tell something about remodeling at the Burbank Hilton. Perhaps they're moving some rooms out of the way in case another jet overshoots the airport runway.

BrandonFG

This year's GSC...
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005, 10:38:10 PM »
Pictures, dammit. >:o
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

sshuffield70

This year's GSC...
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2005, 10:51:26 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 09:35 PM\']A recent Zogby poll showed that game show fans and professionals alike prefer Glendale over Burbank by a five-to-one margin. No?

I hear tell something about remodeling at the Burbank Hilton. Perhaps they're moving some rooms out of the way in case another jet overshoots the airport runway.
[snapback]94843[/snapback]
[/quote]

Considering this is the same Zogby who (through exit polling) predicted Kerry would win, I can understand why he thinks Glendale beats Burbank.

And if your sarcasm detector is out of whack, perhaps you need to buy another one from Klauss Industries.