Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This year's GSC...  (Read 12274 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
This year's GSC...
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005, 12:05:20 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 07:09 PM\'][quote name=\'megoodgal1\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 04:53 PM\']Was the GSC in Glendale??!!  I was born and raised there.  Curious why Glendale over Burbank if GSC was indeed there.
[/quote]
One would guess the hall was cheaper, or indeed available.
[snapback]94822[/snapback]
[/quote]
My understanding is the Burbank hotel was undergoing some sort of construction or renovation, so Glendale was another available option.  I did see in the program that the 2006 GSC is slated to go back to Burbank.

Doug -- broadcasting remotely (but headed home soon)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

jdhernandez

This year's GSC...
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2005, 01:23:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 04:19 AM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 21 2005, 10:32 PM\']Pictures...I need pictures. :-P[/quote]
Particularly one of Mike K.'s first Winners' Circle. ;)
[snapback]94742[/snapback]
[/quote]
(Klauss posting through Mr. Hernandez' account...)

Shut up, Steve. :-P  Why not accentuate the positive, like the 2nd Winner's Circle? ;-)

Pictures will come soon, possibly later tonight if Jason is up to the challenge.  (We've been out of the house for over 24 hours, primarily for a TPiR taping.  Tired, we are.  There are some great stories about the taping we attended, but my lips are sealed until the show's air date, October 25.)  The worst case scenario is that my pictures won't be online until either late Wednesday night or Thursday.

Mike Klauss via Jason H's account
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

Matt Ottinger

This year's GSC...
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2005, 03:05:02 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 06:20 PM\']What was the entire composition of the roundtable?[/quote]I might be forgetting one, but they were Norm Blumenthal, Ron Greenberg, Bob Boden, Jeff Mirken, Charlie O'Donnell, Laura Chambers, Todd Newton, Guillermo Huesca (host of Trato Hecho, a Spanish-language version of Let's Make A Deal) and some guy who's developing a Dating-Game-like internet project who was supposed to be representing the future.  To me, he represented the old Sesame Street concept of "one of these things is not like the other".

[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 06:54 PM\']I can tell you that there was an 11th-hour cancellation of a presentation on game show music. An attempt was first made to get Bob Israel, then an attempt was made to get Edd Kalehoff. Both individuals are based in New York (Score Productions no longer maintains a California office) so bringing either one to Glendale would have required a budget for travel and accomodations, as well as possible rental of a synthesizer and/or sound system.[/quote]I'm not privy to all the planning and decision making that goes on, but I know that the GSC did fly out and accomodate certain individuals, so there was a budget for that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 03:10:33 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvrandywest

This year's GSC...
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2005, 01:19:28 PM »
I'm so happy that GSC4 exceeded the expectations of many of the attendees. While I was unable to attend, I'm proud to have helped in a small way to plan the event again this year with a group of incredibly dedicated organizers. These folks have spent a lot of time and energy handling their individual areas of expertise, as well as keeping coordinated on regular conference calls and visits to LA to make GSC so successful.

Thanks to Bob Boden and Jeff Mirken for their second years. Charlie O and Laura Chambers are among the new members of our GSC family. I already have committments from Todd Newton to join us again next year (schedule permitting), and Marc Summers, who will be on-board next summer for his first time.

Indeed, the Burbank Hilton is doing renovations. The GSC advance team met with many hotels in the area, and settled on Glendale based on the deal they could negotiate for facilities and for a reasonable room rate for attendees.

The planned game show music seminar that Chris referred to indeed did not come to fruition this year. It's something we will be working on for future GSCs. The problem was more than simply budgetary, and I have to take some of the responsibility for dropping the ball as work brought me and most of my attention to the other coast. Josh Yawn, the other person working to pull that session together was also distracted by his career. It's just another hunk of fun we hope to make a reality at future GSCs!

See you next year!!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
This year's GSC...
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2005, 01:19:49 PM »
Norm Blumenthal, Ron Greenberg ... Charlie O'Donnell
Certainly an improvement over last year.

GSC did fly out and accomodate certain individuals
Why settle for Edd Kalehoff when you can have Norm Blumenthal?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
This year's GSC...
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2005, 01:21:18 PM »
We've been out of the house for over 24 hours, primarily for a TPiR taping.
At least you didn't get jerked around by CBS security for an hour.

SRIV94

This year's GSC...
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2005, 09:48:00 PM »
Not to quote a John Denver song, but hey, it's good to be back home again (sorry, best lyric I could come up with).

So what could I possibly add that hasn't already been added before?  Let's see, pleasure meeting people from the forum -- taken; wonderful roundtables (for CONCENTRATION and the industry panel) -- taken; I do have pictures, but don't have a website (and they need a lot of Photoshopping anywho); oh wait, I've got it. . .

Nice of Elayne Boosler to come and accept her award in person.  Boosler told me a wonderful story when I mentioned to her that the first time I had ever seen her was GONG in 1978--if I understood her correctly what it boils down to is that someone she knew was a contestant on GONG during that week of shows, and that particular someone had owed her money.  Boosler decided to gong him out of spite/revenge.  Later on after the taping, the gongee said to Boosler, "You idiot!  If I had won I could've paid you back the money I owe you!"

I had an absolute blast.  Pen me in for next year, would you?

Doug -- no longer broadcasting remotely
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 09:52:13 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

mystery7

This year's GSC...
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2005, 09:55:46 PM »
What about the countdown to 1500, Doug?

SRIV94

This year's GSC...
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2005, 10:21:47 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Aug 23 2005, 08:55 PM\']What about the countdown to 1500, Doug?
[snapback]94926[/snapback]
[/quote]
Let's get past 1450 first.  :)

Doug
Doug

SRIV94

This year's GSC...
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2005, 10:43:25 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Aug 23 2005, 12:19 PM\']I'm so happy that GSC4 exceeded the expectations of many of the attendees. While I was unable to attend, I'm proud to have helped in a small way to plan the event again this year with a group of incredibly dedicated organizers.
[snapback]94879[/snapback]
[/quote]
One thing I did want to do (and forgot to mention in my little piece) was to compliment you on the very nice essay you wrote for the souvenir program (I can't do it justice to try to summarize it here).  I didn't know that Jay Stewart was a musician.  In short, nice work.

I also forgot to mention in my little piece how much I enjoyed meeting Charlie O'Donnell as well.  When Charlie O. found out I was from Chicago, he asked me about "his old friend" Dick Biondi, who's worked in Chicago radio for a long time (in addition to notable stints in L.A., Buffalo and Myrtle Beach, SC--I think someone with serious game show connections was from there).  Biondi's station was turned into a "Jack" format back in June, but he was retained to work their HD2 broadcast (which is now being streamed over the web as well).

I had to have used the analogy "like a kid in a candy store" about 20 times over the course of the week-long stay.

Doug --  and the count. . . (nah, still too early ;-) )
Doug

davemackey

This year's GSC...
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2005, 02:22:47 PM »
Anyone else catch the Professor's announcement that he's throwing in the towel on tvgameshows.net, which he made during his State of the Games speech? We so put the Prof under the microscope here that I'm surprised no one's mentioned it yet.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 02:23:44 PM by davemackey »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
This year's GSC...
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2005, 02:55:43 PM »
the Professor's announcement that he's throwing in the towel on tvgameshows.net
That'll send the Dow plummeting at least 100 points.

BTW Dave, according to the official Game Show Forum stylebook it's Perfesser.

Tim L

This year's GSC...
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2005, 04:02:47 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Aug 24 2005, 02:22 PM\']Anyone else catch the Professor's announcement that he's throwing in the towel on tvgameshows.net, which he made during his State of the Games speech? We so put the Prof under the microscope here that I'm surprised no one's mentioned it yet.
[snapback]94961[/snapback]
[/quote]

While we might not always agree with "Perfesser" Steve and the way he ran his site, etc. You have to give him kudos for the effort over nearly 10 years..Considering how busy he is already and will be in November..he can probably use the break from daily reporting..

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
This year's GSC...
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2005, 04:24:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' date=\'Aug 24 2005, 01:02 PM\']While we might not always agree with "Perfesser" Steve and the way he ran his site, etc. You have to give him kudos for the effort over nearly 10 years..
[/quote]
No, I really don't. Bad reporting and attention whoring take minimal effort.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

This year's GSC...
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2005, 04:30:22 PM »
To me, the "highlight"of his page's life was when he jumped on the April Fool's Day story of Dick Clark being tapped to host syndie WWTBAM...