Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who, What, or Where Question  (Read 4986 times)

rebelwrest

Who, What, or Where Question
« on: August 22, 2005, 03:45:35 PM »
Knowing the rules of the Who, What, or Where Game, what is the theoretical maximum a person can win in one game.

Hint: Think of the odds.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 04:25:48 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 02:45 PM\']Knowing the rules of the Who, What, or Where Game, what is the theoretical maximum a person can win in one game.
[/quote]
If I read the rules correctly (from the limited information avaiable), a max win would exceed $25,000....is this some kind of genuine question, or a "trivia teaser"?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 04:26:21 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

rebelwrest

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 04:32:12 PM »
In response, try to answer the question without a limit.

Also, did NBC have a winnings limit at the time.  I thought the only limit they ever had were the number of games you can play.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 08:29:28 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 01:32 PM\']In response, try to answer the question without a limit.
[snapback]94775[/snapback]
[/quote]So, that didn't answer the question at all.

Take $125; multiply that by 2.  Repeat nine more times.  That would be the absolute minimum that a 'perfect game' would be, because questions went higher than Double Odds.

But, since you refused to answer Mark's question, I suspect this is another of those inane 'teaser' questions...so you can do the legwork yourself.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 08:33:37 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 05:29 PM\']I suspect this is another of those inane 'teaser' questions...so you can do the legwork yourself.
[/quote]
I suspect he already knows the answer, and he thinks he's posting a "fun trivia question".
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 03:30:32 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 08:33 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 05:29 PM\']I suspect this is another of those inane 'teaser' questions...so you can do the legwork yourself.
[/quote]
I suspect he already knows the answer, and he thinks he's posting a "fun trivia question".[/quote]
And whatever he thinks the answer is, he's wrong.  

It's impossible for there to be one correct answer.  The posted odds were not predictable from round to round and program to program.  A few questions each game would have 3-1 odds, but not a set number of them.  You might -- or you might not -- see a 4-1 question in a show.  I even remember once a 6-1 question.  So your maximum would depend on the odds for the questions on that day, as well as other factors.  

Take $125; multiply that by 2. Repeat nine more times. That would be the absolute minimum that a 'perfect game' would be, because questions went higher than Double Odds.
Actually, it's a lot more complicated than that.  The maximum bet was $50 for every  round but the last one.  BUT, if two people make the same bet on the same question, it's auctioned off and sold to the highest bidder.  So you can't even say with certainty what the maximum bet for each question might be.

I'm a fan of good teaser questions, even theoretical ones.  But rebelwrest, this isn't it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

rebelwrest

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 02:25:41 PM »
6:1! I never saw that.  Well that changes everything.  The reason I put the question up is because I recently won a bid of board games which included the Who, What, or Where Game.  The highest odds was 4:1 in the game.

Oh yeah the answer I got (with 4:1 odds being the highest) was $157,286,400
The only way that could happen is if each category had a question that had 4:1 odds and two players tied with the bid on the same question each time.

Progression
      $125
1    $600
2    $2,400
3    $9,600
4    $38,400
5    $153,600
6    $614,400
7    $2,457,600
8    $9,830,400
9    $39,321,600
10  $157,286,400

Like I said hypothetical. I think at the time, NBC had a limit on how many days you can play, but never a earnings limit.  Could someone verify this for me.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 05:00:49 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' date=\'Aug 23 2005, 02:25 PM\']Like I said hypothetical. [/quote]
And like I said, still wrong.

If on the first question the bidding goes up to the maximum $125 that they start you with, then one guy with the correct answer gets 4-1 odds and goes to $600.  But on the second question, nobody else has $600 so the bidding can't go that high.  And if you have the home version, then you know perfectly well that a 4-1 question is extremely rare, and there's no way they'd have more than one or two in an entire game.

Your number is totally meaningless, even in the world of the hypothetical.  It's like asking how much money you could win on Jeopardy if there were five Daily Doubles in each round.  All you've shown is that you have a calculator with a repeat function.  As a trivia question, it's pathetic.  Hint:  Think about what you're asking before you embarrass yourself.

For your information (and you can use all the information you can get), WWW had a five-day limit just like Jeopardy.  There were no earnings limits because the stakes were so low.  Winning $5000 over five days was a huge accomplishment.

rebelwrest

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 06:25:55 PM »
Alright, I get it, but answer me this question how did the bidding go? Did it only go in $5 increments, or could the player bid any amound they wish after the other player bid? It seems that after one player bid the other player could go all in with their money (as it says in the game in case of a tie in a bid, players could bid any amount of the money they possess).  Yes, the chart was stupid as I just figured out.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 09:24:55 PM »
When the odds were posted on a category, each player locked in a bid up to $50 in $5 increments, then Art James would ask them to "declare" their bids one by one. You wouldn't have ties in bidding (and the resulting auction) if players bid one-at-a-time TPIR style. I hate to continue to "bash" you, but if you thought for a few seconds, or perhaps knew more about the show before posting your "teaser" you would have seen this.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

rebelwrest

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 09:55:49 PM »
Okay time for the official apology.

I didn't know how the auction was held in case two or three players picked the same question and bet the same amount of money.  However, it was misleading when two sites declared it a no-limit auction (gsjackpot and Matt Kaiser's site) and the home game declared it in the rules (as you can bid as much as you had).

Second, the biggest mistake was that on average a total of 10 categories could be played in one day, so it could have been more.

My fault was trying to create a trivia question on a game show in which little remains of the show.

And thanks to all of you for participating in my second chiding in the forum.

Next, I will introduce a comparison of Jeopardy and Price is Right contestants.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 10:29:31 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' date=\'Aug 23 2005, 09:55 PM\']Next, I will introduce a comparison of Jeopardy and Price is Right contestants.
[snapback]94927[/snapback]
[/quote]

Please, don't.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 11:21:07 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' date=\'Aug 23 2005, 09:55 PM\']My fault was trying to create a trivia question on a game show in which little remains of the show.[/quote]
It's finally dawning on me that what you did was come up with an elaborate trivia question based on a show you've never actually seen.  That might've been your bigger mistake here.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 01:03:46 AM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' date=\'Aug 23 2005, 06:55 PM\']I didn't know how the auction was held [/quote] But you went ahead and asked the question.  You do realize that frequently home games use different rules than the actual show does, for whatever reason, right?  Don't post a 'teaser' about the show based on the box game.  Jeopardy! box games only use five categories, and that's the LEAST of the problems.

However, it was misleading when two sites declared it a no-limit auction (gsjackpot
So, instead of e-mailing either of us, you just went based on what you had, and when you turn out to be completely wrong, you blame the website for the information.  I was going by a combination of the encyclopedia's rules, and what I'd seen from the box game.

and Matt Kaiser's site) and the home game declared it in the rules (as you can bid as much as you had).
To that end, the information was not misleading.  It *was* a no-limit auction.  You don't go to an estate sale and bid $42,000 on a copy of "The Wit and Wisdom of Rip Taylor" when you have twenty bucks on you.  You are limited by the cash in your pocket.  The limit is inferred by the amount of cash that you have.  If you have $195, and I have $200, I will be able to outbid you by having more money, as there is no rule that you can go into debt to bid higher.

While I do mind that you put up a silly question like this, I mind more that you falsely accused me of putting out misinformation, and that you did it before contacting me first.  You can find my contact info on the website, but chose not to use it.
Travis L. Eberle