Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dating Game - Paul Lynde?  (Read 7981 times)

LBarad

Dating Game - Paul Lynde?
« on: August 25, 2005, 02:53:48 PM »
Hi.  I posted here a while ago asking for some air dates for a few game show moments and you guys came through wonderfully.  I'm hoping someone can help me again.

I'm working on a show for TV Land about Unexpected TV Moments and my producer insists that he's recently seen footage of Paul Lynde on The Dating Game as a Bachelor (6/1/68).  Apparently, Paul is asked a question about his fellow bachelor and he replies that he'd "go dancing" with him.  We've tried going through the channels (Sony, GSN, etc.) and nobody has the tape.  

Has anyone ever seen this?  If someone (like a private collector) has this on tape, can you please contact me.  We have the permission of the copyright owners to use the footage, but we need to find it on our own.  Oh, are there any game show trading boards anyone can recommend?

Thanks so much!

Leona
LBarad@grponline.com

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 02:56:22 PM »
[quote name=\'LBarad\' date=\'Aug 25 2005, 01:53 PM\']I'm working on a show for TV Land about Unexpected TV Moments and my producer insists that he's recently seen footage of Paul Lynde on The Dating Game as a Bachelor (6/1/68). [/quote]
It aired recently on one of the "Outrageous" specials on NBC, I believe it was #1.  You might want to contact the production house that produced these.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

musicman

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 10:52:53 PM »
Why was Paul Lynde on THE DATING GAME?  Unlike Tom Selleck and John Ritter, Paul was ALREADY a celebrity.

davemackey

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 11:10:40 PM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Aug 26 2005, 10:52 PM\']Why was Paul Lynde on THE DATING GAME?  Unlike Tom Selleck and John Ritter, Paul was ALREADY a celebrity.
[snapback]95197[/snapback]
[/quote]
"The Dating Game" did celebrity dates all the time. (Even for guys like Paul Lynde.)

And remember, as Johnny Jacobs always said, "Dates with celebrities are subject to their availability."

whewfan

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 05:29:56 AM »
Amongst the "star dates"

Maureen Mc.Cormick
Ron Howard
Rip Taylor (in a bunny outfit)
HR Puff-n-Stuf (although he was actually asking questions on behalf of a little girl)
Sally Field (Memorable question "Say something mushy to me" Bachelor's response "Cream of Wheat")
Barry Williams
Butch Patrick (his appearance made for a memorable blooper when a bachelorette accidentally calls him "bitch")
Michael Jackson (when they announced the hotel that he and his date were staying, the hotel was mobbed with fans hoping to see the star)
Bandmembers of "Strawberry Alarm Clock"
Richard Dawson

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 07:48:16 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Aug 27 2005, 04:29 AM\']Amongst the "star dates"

Maureen Mc.Cormick
Ron Howard
Rip Taylor (in a bunny outfit)
HR Puff-n-Stuf (although he was actually asking questions on behalf of a little girl)
Sally Field (Memorable question "Say something mushy to me" Bachelor's response "Cream of Wheat")
Barry Williams

[snapback]95205[/snapback]
[/quote]

Add to that list Dick Clark(Lange version, looking for a date for a Bandstand dancer) and Eddie Mekka(Lange late 70s version). From the 80s version: Benji Gregory(son on ALF), Charlie O'Donnell(though he was and still is married).

Kevin Prather

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 02:19:03 PM »
Musn't forget Karen and Richard Carpenter.

$100kPyramidfan

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 02:31:49 PM »
Also Steve Martin and Bill Bixby.
"Does anybody in the audience want an empty armadillo?" - Garry Moore

Kevin Prather

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 02:37:07 PM »
I thought that Burt Reynolds was on at one point. And wasn't Elaine Joyce the batchelorette at one point? I seem to remember her being there for the "F-A-R-T" and "detergent" moments.

$100kPyramidfan

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 02:42:57 PM »
One more I just thought of from the '80's version. Before he was famous, Cuba Gooding, Jr.
"Does anybody in the audience want an empty armadillo?" - Garry Moore

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2005, 03:20:40 PM »
[quote name=\'$100kPyramidfan\' date=\'Aug 27 2005, 01:31 PM\']Also Steve Martin and Bill Bixby.
[snapback]95231[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't believe (although I could certainly be wrong) Steve Martin was a celebrity when he appeared (not sure if he had hooked up with the Smothers Brothers as a writer for their series at the time of his original appearance).  Martin's first TONIGHT SHOW wasn't until 1973, his first SNL wasn't until 1976.  He did do GONG for two weeks in March 1977, though.

Unless he appeared later during the syndie run of TDG, I don't think one could consider him a celebrity at that point.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

musicman

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2005, 05:39:09 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 27 2005, 02:20 PM\']I don't believe (although I could certainly be wrong) Steve Martin was a celebrity when he appeared (not sure if he had hooked up with the Smothers Brothers as a writer for their series at the time of his original appearance).
[snapback]95234[/snapback]
[/quote]

On a "before they had agents" segment on NBC's "Most Outrageous Game Show Moments", they did show a clip of Steve Martin on TDG with the bottom graphic saying "1968".

The Smothers Brothers aired from 1967 to 1969, so maybe Steve was a celebrity guest?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2005, 12:27:26 AM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Aug 27 2005, 04:39 PM\']     On a "before they had agents" segment on NBC's "Most Outrageous Game Show Moments", they did show a clip of Steve Martin on TDG with the bottom graphic saying "1968".

The Smothers Brothers aired from 1967 to 1969, so maybe Steve was a celebrity guest?
[snapback]95242[/snapback]
[/quote]
My point still stands.  Steve Martin worked primarily as a writer for the Smothers Brothers, before doing small on-camera bits in the fall of 1968 (this from the Smothers Brothers' website--his first "featured" appearance was the 1/12/69 episode, per said site).  So to call him a "celebrity" at that point would be stretching it at best.  His notoriety came much later.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2005, 01:42:45 PM »
Also from the late '70s version:

Jaye P Morgan
Jimmie Walker
Andy Kaufman (as "Baji Kimla" - this has run on GSN)
PeeWee Herman

and before they were famous

Phil Hartman
Bob Saget

I'm sure there are others...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2005, 01:51:25 PM »
If we wanna go even more recent with one of these, the last version of The Dating Game had Usher on looking for a date.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022