Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wh--l of Fortun- In N-w Orl-ans, Louisiana  (Read 7595 times)

dmota104

Wh--l of Fortun- In N-w Orl-ans, Louisiana
« on: August 27, 2005, 11:04:19 PM »
My wife, Cindy, and I got back from New Orleans about two hours ago.  While in the big easy, we attended a taping of WoF.  The session we went to was scheduled for three shows -- but we only stayed for the first two then headed north in deference to Hurricane Katrina.

I'd read in an article where Harry Friedman, executive producer, tried to include more puzzles and pick up the pace of the show.  By my count, no change to that regard.  Eight puzzles in each show we went to (three toss-ups, three "normal" rounds, the last puzzle of each main game was a "speed-up" after the $3000 toss-up and then the bonus round).

Changes of significant note...

\ The same article I alluded to noted members of the Wheel Watchers club could win cars in addition to trips off of prize puzzles (there was one in each show Cindy and I saw).  The car can only be won by the viewer if the night's winner also won an car.

\ For the mystery round, instead of a prize worth about $10,000, a $10,000 *cash* space is hidden under one of the mystery $1000 spaces ("bankrupt", of course, remains other the under).

...as for production notes (keep in mind, this was my first *ever* game show taping I attended)...

\ Each half-hour episode took about an hour to produce.  Certainly would've been longer had Vanna still been "turning" the letters instead of "touching" them.

\ To the left of the puzzle out of sight to home viewers are two plasma TV screens -- one on top of the other.  Most of the upper screen is a grid of 26 letters making up the "unused letter board"; IIRC, the category title was just above the alphabet; below the alphabet is the jackpot amount (for the jackpot round only) and a note of only "vowels left" or "consonants left" (again, when applicable).  The bottom screen shows the players' totals for a particular round, the overall score and any prizes they've won during the game.  

\ Above both screens was a small "shot clock" -- set to 5 seconds for a player to make any move (spin, buy vowel, solve puzzle), reduced to 3 seconds during the "speed-up" (for solving puzzle only) and then reset again to 10 seconds for the bonus round.

Back to Katrina for a moment, Pat noted during the first stopdown of the first show we were at, he noted the temperature when he arrived into town was about 95 with a heat index of 105 -- "and that was the good news," he said.  He also acknowleged Katrina, hoped that WoF would provide a pleasant diversion (it did) and wished everyone a safe journey home.

That's all I can say about the shows.  To say more would be spoiling.  :)  The shows we attended will air November 14th and 15th.  We had pretty good seats -- and the "boom camera" caught us cheering a time or two. To put faces to our names, go to www.dougmorris.net/cindy.

Finally, if you're of the praying sort, send one up for everyone who will be affected by the hurricane.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 02:25:56 AM »
[quote name=\'dmota104\' date=\'Aug 27 2005, 08:04 PM\']\ For the mystery round, instead of a prize worth about $10,000, a $10,000 *cash* space is hidden under one of the mystery $1000 spaces[/quote]
Sometimes, as was the case last season.

brianhenke

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 10:48:43 AM »
It's now been reported that the mayor of New Orleans has announced a mandatory evacuation of the city.

So I presume today's tapings have been canceled, and as I said on rec.arts.tv, I hope Pat, Vanna, Harry and the rest of the crew are going to be A-OK.

Brian

100 plus 100 equals 600?
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

dmota104

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 11:56:11 AM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Aug 28 2005, 09:48 AM\']It's now been reported that the mayor of New Orleans has announced a mandatory evacuation of the city.

So I presume today's tapings have been canceled, and as I said on rec.arts.tv, I hope Pat, Vanna, Harry and the rest of the crew are going to be A-OK.

[snapback]95284[/snapback]
[/quote]

You presume correctly.  Charlie O'Donnell, who did an excellent job of helping warm up the crowd, took a few questions from the crowd.

One member of the audience noted she had tickets for Sunday (today).  Charlie said, "Keep 'em as souvenirs."  I'm sure they're gettin' while the gettin's good.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 11:49:55 AM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Aug 28 2005, 09:48 AM\']   So I presume today's tapings have been canceled, and as I said on rec.arts.tv, I hope Pat, Vanna, Harry and the rest of the crew are going to be A-OK.
[snapback]95284[/snapback]
[/quote]
You know what--it might not be a bad idea to extend those well wishes to anyone in Louisiana or Mississippi who might be affected, not just the WoF crew.

My thoughts are with y'all right now--hope everyone's doing OK and staying safe.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

dmota104

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 12:21:52 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 29 2005, 10:49 AM\']You know what--it might not be a bad idea to extend those well wishes to anyone in Louisiana or Mississippi who might be affected, not just the WoF crew.

My thoughts are with y'all right now--hope everyone's doing OK and staying safe.

Doug
[snapback]95372[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks, Doug,

For those of you who see fit to help, the best thing to do is send money to the Red Cross.  Every bit helps.

dzinkin

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 06:02:20 AM »
For those who are interested, here is a Broadcasting & Cable article on how Wheel got out of New Orleans.  A brief excerpt:

The crew of Wheel of Fortune had the misfortune of being in New Orleans Sunday in the path of Hurricane Katrina.

That led to the first-ever cancellation of a remote taping--what would have been the final day--according to Wheel Executive Producer Harry Friedman, who had to try evacuate more than 100 employees.

JIANORAN

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 12:32:17 AM »
Hopefully They show the players totals during this round between the Wheel Of Fortune Logo, Simular to TV Sportscasts.

TimK2003

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 11:16:10 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Aug 30 2005, 05:02 AM\']For those who are interested, here is a Broadcasting & Cable article on how Wheel got out of New Orleans. 
[snapback]95435[/snapback]
[/quote]

After reading the article, it sounds like they didn't even try to strike down and/or secure the set.

Just out of curiosity, is this Ernest N Morial Convention Center in New Orleans the same convention center in the news where there are now thousands of stranded residents who have been stuck there for days without food, water and a way out of there?

tmq800

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 11:49:43 PM »
Just saw the latest news all day about the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, and yes, that is the same convention center where Wheel did its tapings last week.  And I haven't heard if the set had been struck down moments after Wheel canceled last Sunday's tapings.  They have to bring both the wheel and the puzzleboard back to LA, and I haven't heard any news about that either.

Now everyone knows what the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center is like in the aftermath of Katrina, thanks to continuous news coverage.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 12:34:17 AM by tmq800 »

Unrealtor

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 11:50:50 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Sep 1 2005, 10:16 PM\'][quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Aug 30 2005, 05:02 AM\']For those who are interested, here is a Broadcasting & Cable article on how Wheel got out of New Orleans. 
[snapback]95435[/snapback]
[/quote]

After reading the article, it sounds like they didn't even try to strike down and/or secure the set.
[snapback]95635[/snapback]
[/quote]

The set made it out. To quote the article (emphasis mine):

The final day had been scheduled for taping at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, but by that time the entire staff and set were on the way out of town...
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

dmota104

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 05:02:16 AM »
It was really tough seeing that video Thursday.

It's just hard to imagine almost a week earlier that same convention center played host to moments of joy, happiness and fun.

My wife and I were in that neighborhood -- grabbing a quick bite to eat at the Riverwalk next door -- before heading to the WoF tapings.

I genuinely hope Harry will allow these New Orleans episodes to air.  And they'll have to air with clear disclaimers the now two weeks' worth of shows were taped before this entire tragedy struck.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 01:45:10 PM »
[quote name=\'dmota104\' date=\'Sep 2 2005, 02:02 AM\']I genuinely hope Harry will allow these New Orleans episodes to air.  And they'll have to air with clear disclaimers the now two weeks' worth of shows were taped before this entire tragedy struck.
[/quote]
Okay, sell me. Why do you want to see these episodes air? I just don't get it, considering the area is about three steps away from being walled off and turned into Escape From New Orleans.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DrBear

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 03:04:39 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 2 2005, 11:45 AM\']Okay, sell me. Why do you want to see these episodes air? I just don't get it, considering the area is about three steps away from being walled off and turned into Escape From New Orleans.
[snapback]95661[/snapback]
[/quote]
For the same reason we still watch WML? episodes with Dorothy Kilgallen and Fred Allen ... still watch movies filmed in New York with the Twin Towers in the background ... still use quarters with The Old Man of the Mountain even after it collapsed.

Run the games, and turn them into a salute to the New Orleans that was and hopefully will be again. (And get in a plug or two for relief funds; they will be needed then, too.)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 03:11:08 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Sep 2 2005, 12:04 PM\']For the same reason we still watch WML? episodes with Dorothy Kilgallen and Fred Allen ... still watch movies filmed in New York with the Twin Towers in the background ... still use quarters with The Old Man of the Mountain even after it collapsed.
[/quote]
I'd buy the Twin Towers thing if they were central to the movie in question. But I gotta think, if there was a version of Towering Inferno where they were all in the WTC and it burned to a crisp and collapsed, there are a lot of people even today, coming up on five years (wow. it's been five years.) after the fact that would think it was a little tasteless.

I guess I see your point. It's a celebration of the good times the city saw when it was up and running. And it WOULD be a good fundraiser, and that's never bad.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe