Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PAL conversions  (Read 3435 times)

gwarman2005

PAL conversions
« on: August 28, 2005, 09:22:23 AM »
Hey guys, I just started trading with a guy in England and all he could do is send me tapes in PAL format.  After finding out that my VCR isn't multi-region I have two options... 1) Pay a company here $20+ to convert a two hour tape or 2) Convert the tape myself.  I've been looking on eBay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TV-AV-Video-System-PAL...1QQcmdZViewItem

I e-mailed the guy about it and haven't gotten a response.  It looks like all I need it two VCRs with aux cables to plug everything together.  Would it be that easy or am I missing something?  I figured you guys would know.  And if you try to explain something to me, please try to Barneyfy it so I'll understand, lol.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Matt Ottinger

PAL conversions
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 10:17:28 AM »
[quote name=\'gwarman2005\' date=\'Aug 28 2005, 09:22 AM\'] It looks like all I need it two VCRs with aux cables to plug everything together.  Would it be that easy or am I missing something?  I figured you guys would know.  And if you try to explain something to me, please try to Barneyfy it so I'll understand, lol.[/quote]
Unfortunately, it's not that easy.  If you try to play a PAL tape in an NTSC VCR, you're not really sending a PAL signal, and your converter isn't going to recognize it as a PAL signal.  The VCR you use to play the tape has to already be able to play PAL tapes.  The converter only does the job of turning the outputed signal into NTSC so that you can play it on an NTSC television.

So what you need is BOTH a VCR that can play PAL tapes AND a converter like the one you saw.  Here are some examples:

http://www.world-import.com/converter-vcr.htm
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvmitch

PAL conversions
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 01:24:35 PM »
I have a Samsung SVW-5000W VCR as well as a "Black Friday Wal-Mart Special 2003" Apex DVD player that I use for overseas conversions.

The world-import.com site that Matt listed is accurate in that the Samsung VCR I have really can't produce super-high quality video, but it does the trick for game show conversions, especially for those of us who are used to watching sixth-generation video!

If you are looking for a near-digital quality VHS PAL solution, then you might go for those conversion kits but chances are if you're getting video from overseas, the Samsung VCR that I have will usually produce pretty darn good video quality.

The Samsung VCR is all-in-one in that it is a converter and player. I got mine from an eBay auction and I've had to have it serviced twice...it does not like moving at all. But it is a great thing to have and I've paid for it several times over by having the occasional eBay auction for quick conversions. (I usually charge $10 per tape, up to six hours, plus a couple extra bucks for return shipping.)

I trade with Travis Penery, and he has an amazing DVD burner that he uses to record shows for me. I play them on my simple Apex DVD player and can burn them on my Lite-On DVD recorder with no problems. Now that DVD recorders are available for about $100, you might consider suggesting that to your overseas contact and buy yourself an Apex player. With some higher-end name brand players, you'll find that they are finicky in what formats they choose to play. I have a Panasonic and a Sony at work that both won't play any DVD-R or +R discs.

Good luck!
You should follow me on Twitter

Matt Ottinger

PAL conversions
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 05:35:50 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Aug 28 2005, 01:24 PM\']The world-import.com site that Matt listed is accurate in that the Samsung VCR I have really can't produce super-high quality video, but it does the trick for game show conversions, especially for those of us who are used to watching sixth-generation video![/quote]
Mitch is absolutely right.  I also have a Samsung all-in-one, and while it may not make perfect quality transfers, it gets the job done.  If you can find them (they've been off the market for a while), they're the simplest and most efficient way to get your tapes transferred.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvmitch

PAL conversions
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 05:45:10 PM »
And "discontinued" means "you can find them off the back of a truck in uptown Manhattan for $100."
You should follow me on Twitter

gwarman2005

PAL conversions
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 11:08:05 AM »
Hey thanks guys.  I got my eye on a PAL vcr, I think it's a Samsung.  We'll just wait and see.  Thanks again.