Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ex-'Survivor' Contestant Arrested for DUI  (Read 3934 times)

catkins522

Ex-'Survivor' Contestant Arrested for DUI
« on: September 06, 2005, 07:44:15 PM »
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 08:01:25 PM »
Shows the quality people they get for primetime reality.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 08:16:11 PM »
There are so many things wrong with that that it is nearly impossible to begin.  But I'll try.  What happens to (or what someone does) after a contestant appears on a competition (I refuse to call a show even as good as Survivor 'reality') is their business.  Would you want to jump in the WayBac Machine and say "Hey, Mark, don't cast this person for Palau because she'll get tagged for a DUI several months after the show ends?"  No, because that would be silly.

I don't know what your 'quality' remark means, but I bet it's just one more stone people like you throw at the genre, rather than basing it on the program itself.  So back off, eh?
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 08:22:29 PM »
It's moreso my disdain than anything else...too often we see "the attractive", "the hip", and "the young" for shows.  Like American Idol.  A 40 year old couldn't sing well?  Give me a break.  

Just my feelings on how "contestant selection" is performed these days.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 08:27:51 PM by Modor »
--Mark

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 08:32:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 05:22 PM\']It's moreso my disdain
[/quote]
For what, life?
too often we see "the attractive", "the hip", and "the young" for shows.  Like American Idol.  A 40 year old couldn't sing well?  Give me a break.
I'm not sure what this has to do with someone getting a DUI. You're assuming that if someone is young and attractive, that they are of poor moral stock or more likely to make a mistake?

For as much as you point the finger at others for making idiotic posts, that's a really idiotic notion.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 09:31:24 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 07:32 PM\']You're assuming that if someone is young and attractive, that they are of poor moral stock or more likely to make a mistake?
[/quote]
Its backed by a handful of studies; though they're not conclusive in any way.  Click here or here .
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 09:31:54 PM by Modor »
--Mark

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 09:37:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 06:31 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 07:32 PM\']You're assuming that if someone is young and attractive, that they are of poor moral stock or more likely to make a mistake?
[/quote]
Its backed by a handful of studies; though they're not conclusive in any way.  Click here or here .
[/quote]
Wow.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 12:13:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 06:31 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 07:32 PM\']You're assuming that if someone is young and attractive, that they are of poor moral stock or more likely to make a mistake?
[/quote]
[snapback]96013[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wow.  So, is the corollary also true?  That less attractive people are less likely to be amoral, or whatever?  So, because I'm not a blond Adonis, I must never lie, cheat steal or jaywalk?  I don't buy that for a minute, and not for two cents on the dollar.

The great part is that you say it's 'backed by a handful of studies, but not conclusive in any way.'  If it's inconclusive, then it's not really backing up your point.  This sounds like speaking ex rectum to cover yourself.  You were caught in a logical fallacy.  Rather than admit to same, you are continuously grasping at straws that actually weaken your argument bit by bit.  Give up before you get even more behind.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 12:16:54 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

uncamark

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 12:29:56 PM »
And in "Idol"'s defense, they upped the age limit to 28 last year because there was the feeling that the kids they were getting were too young.  They're not going to go too much higher, since it's supposed to be for young aspiring talent.

Which brings to mind Mike Douglas interviewing Louis Armstrong while Satchmo was dabbing himself with his trademark handkerchief:  "Any advice for young perspiring talent?"

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 08:06:26 PM »
While I'm willing to drop my argument that if you're young or attractive, you're more likely to screw up; I won't drop my complaint that TV production companies select too many people of this type.
--Mark

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 08:33:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Sep 7 2005, 05:06 PM\']While I'm willing to drop my argument that if you're young or attractive, you're more likely to screw up; I won't drop my complaint that TV production companies select too many people of this type.
[/quote]
Which is fine, since that wasn't the part of the complaint that was ludicrous.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 10:08:49 PM »
My problem with this whole thing is why, exactly, this is a story.  It seems to me that in the last twenty years, there have probably been former Jeopardy contestants, former Wheel contestants and former Pyramid contestants who've been arrested for DUI.  It's not like this girl was a poster child for clean living who's now destroyed her reputation.  In fact, I'd guess most people who watch Survivor have already forgotten her.  

It's the cult of celebrity, where we're told by the Associated Press who is or is not worthy of our attention, that bothers me.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 03:37:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 7 2005, 09:08 PM\']My problem with this whole thing is why, exactly, this is a story.  It seems to me that in the last twenty years, there have probably been former Jeopardy contestants, former Wheel contestants and former Pyramid contestants who've been arrested for DUI.  It's not like this girl was a poster child for clean living who's now destroyed her reputation.  In fact, I'd guess most people who watch Survivor have already forgotten her. 

It's the cult of celebrity, where we're told by the Associated Press who is or is not worthy of our attention, that bothers me.
[snapback]96105[/snapback]
[/quote]

The other factor is that the newer forms of "unscripted" television have taken over any game shows that aren't "Jeopardy!", "College Bowl" or "What's My Line?" as Evil TV in the media's mind.  Instead of treating the genre like any other genre in having its good and bad product, it's easier to lump them all together and paint the participants as all bottom-feeders.  And when you have the folks at the Smoking Gun ready, willing and able to use their FOIA rights and get the arrest records of every celebrity, real or imagined, it will be done.

The thing is that "Survivor" contestants are ultimately just like us--they make little human errors and get in trouble sometimes.  The only difference is that someone from the press will plaster it in "people" columns while the rest of us get agate type in the police blotter, if that much.