Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A "Super" fundraiser?  (Read 3209 times)

efbyon

A "Super" fundraiser?
« on: September 06, 2005, 02:04:59 AM »
This is rather speculative on my part, but perhaps this might be a really good idea...

Beverly mentioned on his site that certain game show producers were considering doing charity weeks to help out the victims of Hurricane Katrina.  Upon reading that, I wondered if Michael Davies might have had (or will have) conversations with ABC executives to bring back Super Millionaire for such an event.  You could bring back all the top money winners from the first three seasons of syndie Millionaire and do another Tournament of Champions format in which contestants may keep one half of what they win and the other half goes to whatever charity ABC hooks up with to help the hurricane victims.  This could be a relatively short run for maybe three shows or so, just so that they can work around the taping schedule for syndie Millionaire.  I would think good ol' Reege would be more than willing to host this but maybe Meredith could have a bit part as well in introducing the former Millionaire champs or helping Regis hold the giant check to charity at the end of the run.  :-)

One of the obstacles that may preclude this would be whether or not ABC would be willing to pony up that much money to charity (given the SM format), but I suppose if ABC balks at this idea, then maybe we could see a charity event on the syndie show.

Thoughts?

Fred

StevensM

A "Super" fundraiser?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 07:15:02 PM »
I thought of a charity Millionaire show too, since it would be a nice show of goodwill from the network.  I had originally thought of a Celebrity Edition, but we all remember what happened with those during the original run, so on second thought that's probably not the greatest idea.  On the other hand, another Champions Edition would probably be more exciting and true to the game format.  I'd want to see the million & half million dollar winners from both the post-Champions Edition I network show and the syndicated show (starting with millionaires Bob House, Kim Hunt, David Goodman, Kevin Olmstead, Bernie Cullen, Ed Toutant, Kevin Smith, Nancy Christy, Bob-O Essig, and then adding random $500,000 winners).

One poster on another board suggested that there be an event like on the Australian show where previous big winners are paired up with celebrities.  That might be fun if ABC isn't keen on doing another standard Champions Edition and wants the "celebrity factor" that Dancing with the Stars had.

To contact ABC & make a request, send an e-mail to netaudr@abc.com

Fedya

A "Super" fundraiser?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 10:32:37 PM »
It was reported here at the end of June that several versions of Millionaire would be doing charity weeks for Unicef, with the US version being listed.  I haven't heard anything about it since, however.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

The Ol' Guy

A "Super" fundraiser?
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 10:17:01 AM »
It would seem one show that could do something in a hurry would be Jeopardy - put in a week of celebs playing for various charities with all totals awarded. In one sense, it could be the best of both worlds - both truly concerned celebs and publicity-hunting flacks can have their 30 minutes of fame and really help out. The one thing that would show who's really in it for good would be to have the celebs themselves match their totals on the show, not just Sony. It's easy to give away other peoples' money....