Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My Kind of Town  (Read 8179 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
My Kind of Town
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2005, 05:09:38 PM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' date=\'Sep 9 2005, 01:44 PM\']I never did it backhandedly what I meant was true I wonder how it would of lasted if it had an American host.
[/quote]
Okay, so you're being forward about the bigoted idea that the show failed because the host was British.
I think the format was great, maybe its because Britain has been spoilt with this kinds of shows for years.
Okay, sell me. What was so good about it?
For that matter if an American host came over here to do a show and failed id think the same thing if it was hosted by someone from Britian.
Um, huh?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

My Kind of Town
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2005, 05:25:27 PM »
No Doug you dont he didnt sound English when he hosted it at all, ive not seen many episodes of Family Fued with him or any other host for that matter, but he doesnt sound English to me by then.

It's funny...I always thought Dawson sounded British...although less so on "Feud" than he did "Hogan's".  But "Hogan's" went on the air in 1965, and "Feud" in '76, so it's quite reasonable that he would have "lost" some of his accent in that time.  in fact, I don't think you can detect it as easily in the last season of "Hogan's" as you can the first.  But I guess we all have a different ear!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

My Kind of Town
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2005, 05:57:20 PM »
The quality of the show is more important than the nationality of the host.  In the U.S., shows fronted by Canadians, at least one New Zealander and the aformentioned Richard Dawson have had good runs.  The closest game show presenter in the U.K. to an American I can think of was the British-born Jerry Springer, and reports were that that show did okay.  In the end, the game is most important.  Bad shows do not last long even with good hosts.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Brandon Brooks

My Kind of Town
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2005, 09:02:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 9 2005, 04:25 PM\']
No Doug you dont he didnt sound English when he hosted it at all, ive not seen many episodes of Family Fued with him or any other host for that matter, but he doesnt sound English to me by then.

It's funny...I always thought Dawson sounded British...although less so on "Feud" than he did "Hogan's".  But "Hogan's" went on the air in 1965, and "Feud" in '76, so it's quite reasonable that he would have "lost" some of his accent in that time.  in fact, I don't think you can detect it as easily in the last season of "Hogan's" as you can the first.  But I guess we all have a different ear!
[snapback]96268[/snapback]
[/quote]
I always thought he was a southerner.  He had the drawl down and everything!  However, I had someone explain to me that Brits can have the tendency to sound like they have a southern drawl.

Brandon Brooks

tvwxman

My Kind of Town
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2005, 10:19:30 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 9 2005, 12:27 PM\']
I would have liked to have seen Matt's bit, too, but this really doesn't come as much of a surprise. The first week, I said, okay, this is inoffensive. The second week, I didn't see anything I hadn't seen the first week. Plus, and I'm sorry if this is hard-hearted, but I couldn't give a rats ass about some people from a small town from a part of the country I've never seen.
[snapback]96253[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks to all for the kind words...the segment was a hoot...how often does one get to anchor the news on national tv, look straight into the camera and deadpan "I whimpered like a little girl". It was definitely one for the resume tape, dignity be damned!

I will say this : I'm a fan of Michael Davies, and I appreciated the modern-day "Truth or Consequences" vibe to the show....as Johnny Vaughan put it when we interviewed him, they weren't looking to be mean-spirited in the stunts...there's already too much of that on tv.... they were looking to celebrate America, and IMHO, it was a good idea.

That said, an hour full of Greenville, Alabama was too much for nat tv - probably even for Alabamans!

Anyways...here's hoping we see em on ABC Family...someday....ms
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Craig Karlberg

My Kind of Town
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2005, 05:09:19 AM »
UUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I was afraid this would happen!  Great!  ABC really puts New Jersey even lower on the ladder now!  SHEESH!

Hurry up Deal or No Deal!  SAVE MY PRIME TIME SANITY!

Brig Bother

My Kind of Town
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2005, 06:41:43 AM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' date=\'Sep 9 2005, 05:43 PM\']Anne was only successful really since NBC pushed her to the moon, the buzz of you are the weakest link good bye wasnt even a fad in the UK till NBC made it one and somehow the buzz got here.
[snapback]96255[/snapback]
[/quote]

Um, are you sure?

remlap

My Kind of Town
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2005, 08:49:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Sep 10 2005, 11:41 AM\'][quote name=\'remlap\' date=\'Sep 9 2005, 05:43 PM\']Anne was only successful really since NBC pushed her to the moon, the buzz of you are the weakest link good bye wasnt even a fad in the UK till NBC made it one and somehow the buzz got here.
[snapback]96255[/snapback]
[/quote]

Um, are you sure?
[snapback]96328[/snapback]
[/quote]

The was "Oh shes nasty, Oh shes mean" here but never the real buzz about her on the show, before NBC decided to make thier own and push her spiteful attitude, as their gimmick to make the show, BBC caught on I think and decided to as well.

Well I cant remeber anything

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
My Kind of Town
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2005, 02:17:05 PM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' date=\'Sep 10 2005, 05:49 AM\']Well I cant remeber anything
[/quote]
Yet it doesn't stop you from speaking.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
My Kind of Town
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2005, 01:45:57 PM »
Durinig the Indycar race today, they ran a promo, and they still said "My Kind of Town" would be aired tonight...with the addition of an "all new" prefix.

So, I don't know if it on tonight or not...but it looks like it....
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

My Kind of Town
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2005, 07:56:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Sep 11 2005, 12:45 PM\']Durinig the Indycar race today, they ran a promo, and they still said "My Kind of Town" would be aired tonight...with the addition of an "all new" prefix.

[snapback]96442[/snapback]
[/quote]

My DirecTV lineup says Funniest Home Videos, then back-to-back Extreme Makeover:Home Edition, and a rerun of Knots Landing Desperate Housewives at 10.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

uncamark

My Kind of Town
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2005, 03:42:02 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Sep 11 2005, 06:56 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Sep 11 2005, 12:45 PM\']Durinig the Indycar race today, they ran a promo, and they still said "My Kind of Town" would be aired tonight...with the addition of an "all new" prefix.

[snapback]96442[/snapback]
[/quote]

My DirecTV lineup says Funniest Home Videos, then back-to-back Extreme Makeover:Home Edition, and a rerun of Knots Landing Desperate Housewives at 10.
[snapback]96482[/snapback]
[/quote]

Which is also what ABC's web site said Friday.  Well, it didn't list "Housewives" that way.

In the end, looks like Americans aren't that interested about small-town America.  Not a good omen for "Three Wishes"--but of course, they have Amy Grant and her nice set of--hallelujah!

Neumms

My Kind of Town
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2005, 04:23:52 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 9 2005, 01:46 PM\']Point is, you suggested that MKOT failed because the host was British, asked for examples of successful shows featuring hosts with accents, and have been given several examples.

MKOT failed because it, well, sucked, not because of any kind of prejudice on behalf of the audience, as you backhandedly suggest.
[snapback]96259[/snapback]
[/quote]

Somehow, Johnny didn't seem like the right host for the show, though, and I wonder if his being British had something to do with it. It's not prejudice (especially on my end--hey, I loved Bruce Forsythe's Hot Streak). Johnny seemed like a kooky outsider, treating small towns as if they were curious sociological petry dishes.

It being an unusual kind of show, at least here in the '00s, it may--MAY--have worked better with, say, Regis or Pat Sajak hosting, someone who we recognize when the audience whoops it up for him. And I agree with Chris' point--it sucked, so "working better" may not mean it would have worked well.

Brig Bother

My Kind of Town
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2005, 06:47:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Sep 12 2005, 08:23 PM\']Somehow, Johnny didn't seem like the right host for the show, though, and I wonder if his being British had something to do with it. It's not prejudice (especially on my end--hey, I loved Bruce Forsythe's Hot Streak). Johnny seemed like a kooky outsider, treating small towns as if they were curious sociological petry dishes.
[/quote]

I think you're sort of right. I think Johnny was actually very good at it from the one episode I've viewed (although it's so strange hearing him sing at the beginning), but the very idea of elevating the small and the mundane to revered proportions is really quite a British thing I think, and I don't think it travels well. It's certainly the sort of concept Johnny lapped up during his days fronting The Big Breakfast, and in terms of feel it wasn't far off the original UK Don't Forget Your Toothbrush - but seeing as Will MacDonald worked on that as well, this probably isn't too much of a surprise.

sshuffield70

My Kind of Town
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2005, 11:34:15 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 12 2005, 02:42 PM\']Which is also what ABC's web site said Friday.  Well, it didn't list "Housewives" that way.

In the end, looks like Americans aren't that interested about small-town America.  Not a good omen for "Three Wishes"--but of course, they have Amy Grant and her nice set of--hallelujah!
[snapback]96541[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hey, after four kids, having a nice set of hallelujahs can be a side benefit for someone who'll be 45 in November.