Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Second chances  (Read 2943 times)

hollyberry247

Second chances
« on: September 14, 2005, 10:31:22 AM »
I'm seeking examples of game show concepts that were pitched to networks and soundly rejected, but later went on to be successful on another network, whether as-is or with some tweaks.  The Family Feud story is a great example of that.  Does anyone know of any other similar success stories?

Jimmy Owen

Second chances
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 12:12:27 PM »
Bob Stewart had several ideas (Cash on the Line, $10,000 Sweep) which eventually were refined into "The $10,000 Pyramid."  "Get Rich Quick" was morphed into "Chain Reaction" and "Go!"  

"What's the Question" and "Shopper's Bazaar" became hits for Merv Griffin under different titles.

CBS rejected "Hollywood Squares"

ABC passed on "Deal or No Deal."  Time will tell if it is a hit for NBC.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DrBear

Second chances
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 01:10:06 PM »
Well, if you figure it was revised and improved into "Press Your Luck," "Second Chance" had a "second chance."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

The Ol' Guy

Second chances
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 01:16:14 PM »
IIRC, You Bet Your Life was initially rejected by all the major radio networks. It was only when ABC was forced to drop a program and needed a replacement in a hurry that Guidel could throw them and the sponsor the show as a fast option.

Ian Wallis

Second chances
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 05:45:58 PM »
You could probably add in some Jack Barry shows to that.  During the '60s when he was trying to make a comeback, he pitched several ideas (including an early "Joker's Wild") which weren't immediately picked up.  The networks didn't want to touch a Barry show at that time because they were worried about fallout from the scandals of a decade earlier.  Finally, in 1972 and with a new daytime programming chief, CBS revamped their morning lineup and took a chance...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!