Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TV Viewers Speak Out Against Reality Shows  (Read 2880 times)

catkins522

TV Viewers Speak Out Against Reality Shows
« on: September 12, 2005, 03:46:21 PM »
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 03:57:00 PM »
[quote name=\'catkins522\' date=\'Sep 12 2005, 02:46 PM\']Click here to read the story...
[snapback]96542[/snapback]
[/quote]

But what people say and what they do are often two different things.

Yeah, there was a glut this summer (and "Rock Star" and "...You Can Dance" were also demo hits and will probably be back next summer), but I don't think the nets are going to want to spend the money on scripted shows during the summer.  That's what cable does.  :)

Or it should be--I think that there was too much reality on cable this summer, with only "Being Bobby Brown" causing any sort of buzz.  People don't go to cable during the summer for reality shows and there are some channels (hellloooo, A&E!  Hellloooo, VH1!) that should realize this.

ObGameShow:  What genre used to be prevalent during the summer in the old days, besides variety shows and unsold pilots?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 04:06:15 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 12 2005, 12:57 PM\']ObGameShow:  What genre used to be prevalent during the summer in the old days, besides variety shows and unsold pilots?
[/quote]
Repeats. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 04:10:13 PM »
I'll agree with you partially on the "So You Think You Can Dance" possibility for a second season being good. "Rock Star: INXS" is a little more iffy, I think, just because of what this version is trying to accomplish (finding Michael Hutchence's replacement, obviously). IMO, they'd have to either find another band that needs a new lead singer or form a band specifically for the show that would need a lead singer for it to work a second time. Otherwise, it'll just become "Rock Idol."

I think that there is too much so-called "reality" TV, and the problem just keeps getting worse. While the first "Survivor" was something that a lot of people wanted to watch every week, one had to realize that they'd keep trying it, and that eventually it would get to the point where they would run out of places to put the competitors (why not do like a "Survivor: Death Valley" or a "Survivor: South Central?" (sarcasm)). "Big Brother" was good once, but it got repetitive and, quite frankly, boring to watch. And can someone please explain to me how you could make sequels to "Joe Millionaire" and "The Joe Schmo Show," much less one "Joe Millionaire?" And don't get me started on "The Will."

I'm not saying all reality is bad, and I'm not criticizing those who are fans- but to me, I'd rather watch a rerun of a show I like than a reality show whose concept was ripped off of so many others before. (Of course, given a choice between reality shows and lottery shows...)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022