Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TV shows past up by networks first time around  (Read 5989 times)

CE Producers

TV shows past up by networks first time around
« on: September 14, 2005, 01:48:05 PM »
What are some hit shows of today and yesterday that were passed up by the networks, only to be picked up by someone and became successful?

sshuffield70

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 02:17:53 PM »
In our time:  Pyramid (CBS>ABC>CBS), Feud (ABC>CBS), Password (CBS>ABC), Wheel (NBC>CBS>NBC).  ....knows it was quite common in early days...

As for regular shows, NBC has missed twice (Baywatch to syndication, and JAG to CBS).  Previously, Taxi (ABC>NBC) and Diff'rent Strokes (NBC>ABC).

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 02:48:34 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Sep 14 2005, 02:17 PM\']...Taxi (ABC>NBC) and Diff'rent Strokes (NBC>ABC).
[snapback]96772[/snapback]
[/quote]

If we're talking success here, then I don't think that either Taxi or Diff'rent Strokes applies, because neither one lasted more than a season after their moves.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

tyshaun1

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 02:52:47 PM »
I think what he means, gang, is shows that were pitched to one network,they passed on it, and was bought by another and became successful.

The only one I know off hand is the game that became Family Feud was originally pitched to NBC.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 09:39:24 PM by tyshaun1 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 03:27:27 PM »
There are more instances of this than we will ever know without a library of Variety back issues.

Heatter-Quigley made a pilot of "The Hollywood Squares" for CBS that Bert Parks hosted that didn't make the schedule, but did become a long-running hit for NBC with Peter Marshall as host.

Suffice it to say, if a show gets rejected at one net, the producers will pitch it to another.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

ChuckNet

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 09:23:41 PM »
CBS passed on LMaD, thinking the novelty would soon wear off ("Sure, it looks great today, but what do you do tomm?")...they almost had a chance to get it during the 68 network change, but were unwilling to budge on their $1,000 winnings limit.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Winkfan

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 01:15:04 AM »
CBS passed on LMaD, thinking the novelty would soon wear off ("Sure, it looks great today, but what do you do tomm?")...they almost had a chance to get it during the 68 network change, but were unwilling to budge on their $1,000 winnings limit.

According to Maxine Fabe, it was ABC that originally turned down LMaD at the first opportunity, giving NBC another hit game show to add to its at-the-time growing roster in the '60s. But many of us old-timers know who would benefit from the LMaD switch five years later.....

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Denise Miller of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 05:43:36 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

Robair

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 11:57:05 AM »
I personally wouldn't call the Feud instance "passing up" the show. After all ABC had it for nine years and then it evolved into the CBS version.

But "$10,000 Pyramid" is a special case. After CBS gave up on the show, it was on ABC after a hiatus of one week. And it enjoyed a six-year run there on ABC. Remember too that in its second CBS run, CBS cancelled it and the viewers (and Betty White) demanded it return.
--Robair

tyshaun1

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 12:30:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Sep 15 2005, 11:57 AM\']I personally wouldn't call the Feud instance "passing up" the show. After all ABC had it for nine years and then it evolved into the CBS version.

But "$10,000 Pyramid" is a special case. After CBS gave up on the show, it was on ABC after a hiatus of one week. And it enjoyed a six-year run there on ABC. Remember too that in its second CBS run, CBS cancelled it and the viewers (and Betty White) demanded it return.
[snapback]96867[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, it was a six week hiatus (correct me if i'm wrong.....March 29-May 6, 1974)

Tyshaun

megamanj1986

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 06:09:19 PM »
sshuffield70 @ Sep 14 2005, 02:17 PM
...Taxi (ABC>NBC) and Diff'rent Strokes (NBC>ABC).

If we're talking success here, then I don't think that either Taxi or Diff'rent Strokes applies, because neither one lasted more than a season after their moves.

Let's not forget tremendous success Fred "Original GS Killer" Silverman had w/ some of the shows he had during the 1980s and 1990s with:

Matlock (1986-95), NBC>ABC, the last three years.
In the Heat of the Night (1988-95) NBC>CBS the last several years.

$10K Pyramid  CBS>ABC>CBS
Family Feud ABC>CBS
Card Sharks NBC>CBS

Also, Card Sharks NBC>CBS when it returned to CBS lasted just a long as it did on its original NBC years.

There were also rumors that after NBC cancelled the orignal Jeopardy!, CBS turned down J! in 1977. In a way, CBS did good and in a way, CBS didn't do good.

calliaume

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 10:44:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Sep 15 2005, 12:15 AM\'][quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Sep 14 2005, 06:23 PM\']CBS passed on LMaD, thinking the novelty would soon wear off ("Sure, it looks great today, but what do you do tomm?")...they almost had a chance to get it during the 68 network change, but were unwilling to budge on their $1,000 winnings limit.[/quote]

According to Maxine Fabe, it was ABC that originally turned down LMaD at the first oportunity, giving NBC another hit game show to add to its at-the-time growing roster in the '60s. But many of us old-timers know who would benefit from the LMaD switch five years later.....

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Denise Miller of the Big Board!'
[snapback]96846[/snapback]
[/quote]
Tammy's right - ABC turned it down, but it was Jerry Chester at NBC that had the comment Chuck refers to.

He also wasn't impressed with Jeopardy!, either - Merv once sent me an e-mail (lil' ol' me!) saying Chester was shaking his head after the runthrough, while Grant Tinker was jumping up and down behind him, indicating they should buy it.

I don't remember Feud ever being pitched to NBC in previous discussions - at that point in time G-T was only working with CBS and ABC.  I do remember casual notes that both Jack Narz and Geoff Edwards thought they were possibilities for hosting, but I've never seen anything concrete in that regard.

I don't count shows that were dropped and later picked up by other networks - I'm counting shows that were passed on originally before they even aired.  Let's Make a Deal and Hollywood Squares are the only two that fit that category so far, although I'm sure there are others.

tvmitch

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 10:48:39 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Sep 15 2005, 09:44 PM\']I don't remember Feud ever being pitched to NBC in previous discussions - at that point in time G-T was only working with CBS and ABC.  I do remember casual notes that both Jack Narz and Geoff Edwards thought they were possibilities for hosting, but I've never seen anything concrete in that regard.
[snapback]96934[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hmm. Geoff Edwards on Feud. How would that have changed everything? I bet he would have made a pretty darn good Feud host.
You should follow me on Twitter

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 12:35:51 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Sep 15 2005, 09:44 PM\']He also wasn't impressed with Jeopardy!, either - Merv once sent me an e-mail (lil' ol' me!) saying Chester was shaking his head after the runthrough, while Grant Tinker was jumping up and down behind him, indicating they should buy it.
[/quote]
This story is retold in the 1991 Jeopardy! book....for those interested in perhaps a little more details, though I seem to recall they are fairly minute.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 12:36:01 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tvwxman

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 11:27:21 AM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Sep 15 2005, 09:48 PM\']
Hmm. Geoff Edwards on Feud. How would that have changed everything? I bet he would have made a pretty darn good Feud host.
[snapback]96936[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hey Mitch, it looks like Passepartout has hijacked your email account.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

uncamark

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 11:31:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Sep 15 2005, 11:35 PM\'][quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Sep 15 2005, 09:44 PM\']He also wasn't impressed with Jeopardy!, either - Merv once sent me an e-mail (lil' ol' me!) saying Chester was shaking his head after the runthrough, while Grant Tinker was jumping up and down behind him, indicating they should buy it.
[/quote]
This story is retold in the 1991 Jeopardy! book....for those interested in perhaps a little more details, though I seem to recall they are fairly minute.
[snapback]96944[/snapback]
[/quote]

It seems to me, if I read the book correctly, that Mort Werner was the NBC exec saying "this is too difficult for me," causing Tinker to jump in and defend the show.

And this was the authorized "J!" book, not the Harry Eisenberg tell-all.