Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Some "Madden"-ing questions  (Read 6320 times)

gamed121683

Some "Madden"-ing questions
« on: September 14, 2005, 07:57:01 PM »
I'm watching "Jeopardy!" as I type and once again I am watching "Ruben Kincaid" (Sorry, I refuse to call him by his real name) blitzing the board. I've been styuding his style and it looks as if it is the find-the daily-double-make-the-right-wager-predictably-get-the-question-right-and-pretty-much-declare-him-the-winner-right-there-and-then gag he's using to kill the oppisition. Seems as if he can''t lose! What will it take for a guy like that to meet his much (came close on Monday's show, I know) and how long will it be till they start calling the show "The All-New Partridge Family"? I hear Bonaduche's available. :-)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 08:17:04 PM »
I think he should toss a handful of confetti on himself to signify that he is excited.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 08:34:03 PM »
[quote name=\'gamed121683\' date=\'Sep 14 2005, 06:57 PM\']I'm watching "Jeopardy!" as I type and once again I am watching "Ruben Kincaid" (Sorry, I refuse to call him by his real name) blitzing the board.

What will it take for a guy like that David Madden to meet his match

[snapback]96800[/snapback]
[/quote]

A combination of a contestant having more than 50% of his total going into FJ!, that player getting FJ! right and him getting FJ! wrong might help. Worked for Jenken. Barring that, bringing on an Invision moderator as a contestant. Is Chris C. eligible to be a contestant on a game show, despite working on three G-T shows a quarter century ago?

Steve McClellan

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 08:54:16 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 14 2005, 05:34 PM\']A combination of a contestant having more than 50% of his total going into FJ!, that player getting FJ! right and him getting FJ! wrong might help.[/quote]
Might not even take that much. Twice so far, he's trailed going into Final. Ken *never* did that in his regular games. Not to mention a 2/3 situation plus a triple stumper. There's just no way David'll last anywhere near as long as Ken.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 10:25:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Sep 14 2005, 08:54 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 14 2005, 05:34 PM\']A combination of a contestant having more than 50% of his total going into FJ!, that player getting FJ! right and him getting FJ! wrong might help.[/quote]Might not even take that much. Twice so far, he's trailed going into Final. Ken *never* did that in his regular games. Not to mention a 2/3 situation plus a triple stumper. There's just no way David'll last anywhere near as long as Ken.[/quote]
Precisely.  He's simply not nearly as dominant, and even if he's superior on a given day, there are a lot of ways that a weaker contestant beats a stronger one on that show.

Through no fault of his own (Jeopardy is not a popularity contest) he seems to be somewhat less likable than Ken was.  That's not a factor in his winning-and-losing chances, but it does make you wonder whether he would have enjoyed the same notoriety that Ken did if he'd been the first dominant champion.  As the second, he's hardly being noticed at all in the mainstream media.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SteveRep

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 10:31:27 PM »
It almost seems as thought David hunts for and plays the DDs as a defensive tactic rather than a true “jack up your total to an uncatchable level” one -- just so that his opponents don’t find them first.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 10:35:50 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveRep\' date=\'Sep 14 2005, 07:31 PM\']It almost seems as thought David hunts for and plays the DDs as a defensive tactic rather than a true “jack up your total to an uncatchable level” one -- just so that his opponents don’t find them first.
[snapback]96832[/snapback]
[/quote]

No almost about it. How else do you explain such tiny wagers with such a big total?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 11:12:58 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveRep\' date=\'Sep 14 2005, 10:31 PM\']It almost seems as thought David hunts for and plays the DDs as a defensive tactic rather than a true “jack up your total to an uncatchable level” one -- just so that his opponents don’t find them first.[/quote]
It's a very sound strategy that I'm surprised hasn't been attempted more often.  If you're confident in your across-the-board knowledge, the best way to improve your overall chances is to remove the variables.  That not only means putting the DD's out of your opponents' hands, it also means not risking a lot of your own money on them either.

I believe that in the game Ken lost, he missed all three Daily Doubles and STILL had a big lead going into FJ, just not an insurmountable one.  Had he bet small on those DDs, he might still be playing today...
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 11:32:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 14 2005, 07:17 PM\']I think he should toss a handful of confetti on himself to signify that he is excited.
[snapback]96802[/snapback]
[/quote]
Since most people conveniently ignored the reference, I'll tell you I got a nice chuckle out of it.  :)

Doug -- shall we begin the countdown to 1500?  Why not?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Steve McClellan

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 01:04:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 14 2005, 08:12 PM\']I believe that in the game Ken lost, he missed all three Daily Doubles and STILL had a big lead going into FJ, just not an insurmountable one.  Had he bet small on those DDs, he might still be playing today...[/quote]
[swallows Horanstones]

Actually, he got the J! round DD right for $3000, then missed the two in DJ!, dropping $5400 and $4800 (total of $10,200). He led $14,400 to $10,000 going into FJ!, so if he'd lost less than $4600 total on those two DDs, he would indeed have had a lock.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 01:08:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Sep 14 2005, 10:04 PM\'][swallows Horanstones]
[/quote]
As long as you guys realize that he loves it whenever he sees his name in print, even like this...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 05:26:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 14 2005, 09:25 PM\']he's hardly being noticed at all in the mainstream media
[snapback]96829[/snapback]
[/quote]
I've seen mention of it no place except here and on The Stosh Site. The reaction I received when mentioning David's run at the job on Wednesday was, "Only 16 games?". When someone makes it to 74, that impressive 16-win figure is ever so dwarfed.
On a side note, for coining "PJTP" and "Horanstones", do I get a residual check when those terms are used?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 05:26:14 AM by Don Howard »

SteveRep

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 10:39:15 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 14 2005, 11:12 PM\']It's a very sound strategy that I'm surprised hasn't been attempted more often.  If you're confident in your across-the-board knowledge, the best way to improve your overall chances is to remove the variables.  That not only means putting the DD's out of your opponents' hands, it also means not risking a lot of your own money on them either.

I believe that in the game Ken lost, he missed all three Daily Doubles and STILL had a big lead going into FJ, just not an insurmountable one.  Had he bet small on those DDs, he might still be playing today...
[/quote]
You realize what he's doing -- he's won $300K+ so it clearly works -- there's just no sizzle to it.

dzinkin

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 11:02:59 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Sep 15 2005, 05:26 AM\']On a side note, for coining "PJTP" and "Horanstones", do I get a residual check when those terms are used?
[snapback]96850[/snapback]
[/quote]
No -- it just means that you're qualified to be a judge on Who Wants to Be a Horanionaire.

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 11:31:03 AM »
John Madden was on Jeopardy??  Did he draw all over the game board with his light pen??
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum