Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Marshall or Bergeron?  (Read 7440 times)

The Pyramids

Marshall or Bergeron?
« on: September 17, 2005, 11:07:59 AM »
I would have to disqualify myself from any discussion as to who was the better 'Jeopardy!' host, Art Flemming or Alex Trebek.

But another tough won would be who was better at 'Hollywood Squares', Peter Marshall or Tom Bergeron? I would have to say its a draw. Peter is hall of fame material in my opinion, but Tom was the last versions greatest asset, and the best game show personality to emerge in the past 10 years.

(as an aside I do consider John Davidson good)

Matt Ottinger

Marshall or Bergeron?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 11:24:56 AM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Sep 17 2005, 11:07 AM\']But another tough one would be who was better at 'Hollywood Squares', Peter Marshall or Tom Bergeron?  I would have to say its a draw. [/quote]
Well, since you're not willing to answer your own question, I will. While I remember him fondly, I personally think Marshall was very overrated as a host.  Watching the old shows today, I really don't see anything all that impressive.  The best thing I can say about him is that he can talk fast.  

Bergeron, on the other hand, is terrific in just about anything he does, including a few things that were definitely beneath him. I'm honestly beginning to see him as a modern-day Cullen.  Both seem willing to accept just about any job, and therefore probably aren't as admired for their skills as someone who might have been a little more selective.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 06:46:27 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MikeK

• Martha!
Marshall or Bergeron?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 11:30:35 AM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Sep 17 2005, 11:07 AM\']But another tough won would be who was better at 'Hollywood Squares', Peter Marshall or Tom Bergeron? I would have to say its a draw. Peter is hall of fame material in my opinion, but Tom was the last versions greatest asset, and the best game show personality to emerge in the past 10 years.[/quote]
10 years?  I'd say Tom's the best new GS host in almost a quarter century, since that Sajak fellow replaced Woolery.  (Apologies to the many fans of Ray Combs.  I didn't think Combs was a great host.)

Jimmy Owen

Marshall or Bergeron?
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 11:44:07 AM »
I thought Peter had a great command of the show, it never got too far out of hand, and you got the sense that Peter was as much the star as any of the squares.  Right out of the gate, the new squares put Tom in a supporting role to Whoopi.  Though he did become more than an afterthought later.  I'd like to see Tom do more game shows, but since (A) he doesn't want to and (B) they aren't making them anymore, it probably won't happen.  

What is happening with Bob Goen's game show deal with Paramount?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvwxman

Marshall or Bergeron?
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 01:11:52 PM »
Bergeron. Hands down. Whereas Marshall was great at the squares, I didnt' care for anything else he did...Fantasy, Blitz, Reel to Reel.... I'm sure he was fine in broadway shows but i haven't seen em...

Bergeron, on the other hand, seems to command and control the audience in everything he does....while at the same time allowing the game/event/situation to unfold smoothly....

And he's a tremendously down to earth nice guy too....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tvwxman

Marshall or Bergeron?
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 01:13:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 17 2005, 10:44 AM\']What is happening with Bob Goen's game show deal with Paramount?
[snapback]97031[/snapback]
[/quote]

Probably the same thing that happens with most 'development' deals....

Nothing.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Neumms

Marshall or Bergeron?
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 02:58:46 PM »
Nobody, not Bergeron, not anybody, had Peter's flair for calling the womenfolk "love" as in "pick a star, love." I'll give it to Bergeron by a nose. It would be fun to see Tom get a shot at a "What's My Line?" revival--he's not as urbane as Daly, but he's as close we'd get these days.

To think, wasn't Marc Summers set to host the Whoopi Squares at one point in development?

DJDustman

Marshall or Bergeron?
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 04:54:06 PM »
Davidson, BUT since I am the only one in the ballpark there AND he's not a choice, I will have to say Bergeron. He's a cool and funny guy, had a great personality, and still does.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 06:21:27 PM by DJDustman »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Marshall or Bergeron?
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 04:58:36 PM »
[quote name=\'DJDustman\' date=\'Sep 17 2005, 01:54 PM\']Davidson,
[/quote]
Wow.

I mean FRIGGIN' WOW.

This is a man who DID NOT KNOW THE RULES TO HIS OWN GAME.

If you can find a way to justify THAT, then I'm all ears. But MY GOD.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Adam Nedeff

Marshall or Bergeron?
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 06:13:22 PM »
Here's the thing about Marshall...He looked like a better host because the show as a whole was more tightly controlled. The show in his day was simplistic and quieter, and celebrities were instructed beforehand that they had to shut up after they gave their answers.

Bergeron on the other hand sometimes looked weaker because he was surrounded by flashing lights, wall-to-wall applause, and Whoopi's buddies high-fiving and outlaughing each other after every zinger. So Peter Marshall comes across as more compotent the same way a college professor comes across as more compotent than a kindergarten teacher.

Considering the zoo he was forced to deal with, I give the nod to Bergeron, even if I did find his version of the show unwatchable a lot of the time.

DJDustman

Marshall or Bergeron?
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 06:20:22 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 17 2005, 03:58 PM\'][quote name=\'DJDustman\' date=\'Sep 17 2005, 01:54 PM\']Davidson,
[/quote]
Wow.

I mean FRIGGIN' WOW.

This is a man who DID NOT KNOW THE RULES TO HIS OWN GAME.

If you can find a way to justify THAT, then I'm all ears. But MY GOD.
[snapback]97057[/snapback]
[/quote]

There's no need to justify, I like him as a host and that's all there is to it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 06:25:40 PM by DJDustman »

FOXSportsFan

Marshall or Bergeron?
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 06:32:28 PM »
Maybe I can help present an argument for Brother Dumovich.  A lot of the reason I think he prefers Davidson's run was...well...for the reason that JD just didn't give a damn really.  His version was carefree and offered some unique and often funny moments (with A and B listers, no less).

That said, I'm not keen on Davidson (I mean I saw him in reruns when I was a young lad...then again I also liked TTD 90 when I saw it as a young lad).  As I mentioned in the birthday to the alleged master of the Squares, Bergo gets my vote of confidence.  Everything he touches turns to gold, if not platinum.  No one could have done a better job with the big tic tac board.  And, I agree that Marshall is completely overrated.  That and he comes off like an arrogrant stiff to me, personally.  Bergeron has the suave characteristic but to a much lesser degree as he's cool and dare I say even "hip with the kids".
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 06:33:05 PM by FOXSportsFan »

Matt Ottinger

Marshall or Bergeron?
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 06:55:23 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Sep 17 2005, 06:32 PM\']Maybe I can help present an argument for Brother Dumovich.  A lot of the reason I think he prefers Davidson's run was...well...for the reason that JD just didn't give a damn really.  His version was carefree and offered some unique and often funny moments (with A and B listers, no less).[/quote]
I have no problem with somebody liking Davidson's show for those reasons.  I also happen to like John Davidson as a television personality, so his ineptitude as a host doesn't bother me the way it does others.  Still, there's a great giant chasm between liking him and being able to say with a straight face that he was a good host.  And "I like him as a host and that's all there is to it" isn't a real convincing argument for the latter position.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 06:56:16 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

davemackey

Marshall or Bergeron?
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2005, 07:09:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 17 2005, 06:55 PM\'][quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Sep 17 2005, 06:32 PM\']Maybe I can help present an argument for Brother Dumovich.  A lot of the reason I think he prefers Davidson's run was...well...for the reason that JD just didn't give a damn really.  His version was carefree and offered some unique and often funny moments (with A and B listers, no less).[/quote]
I have no problem with somebody liking Davidson's show for those reasons.  I also happen to like John Davidson as a television personality, so his ineptitude as a host doesn't bother me the way it does others.  Still, there's a great giant chasm between liking him and being able to say with a straight face that he was a good host.  And "I like him as a host and that's all there is to it" isn't a real convincing argument for the latter position.
[snapback]97066[/snapback]
[/quote]
I happen to have seen both John Davidson and Peter Marshall on stage; Davidson as the father in "State Fair", Marshall as Georges in "La Cage Aux Folles" - and both were fine. But put em in front of a game show and they're a little out of water. Everyone remembers Marshall as "Squares" host, but they were more entertained by Paul Lynde and Charley Weaver.

Bergeron, more than any other Squares host, brought his own personality and his own attitude and really added more to the show than either of those other two guys.

As for Baumann (the "Squares" host that time forgot) - grease for peace, and peace out.

DJDustman

Marshall or Bergeron?
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2005, 07:23:18 PM »
Well here's the thing, Davidson and his HS show was a bit more laid back, and crazy, which is what I thought was entertaining.  The show had more props and more unique questions than usual. But I am getting too much into the show.

I like Davidson as a host BECAUSE of his inept style. I truly agree with Lemon, and I've talked to him in the past about it, he is inept.  He would forget some things on the show, he would say jokes that were funny but not what you'd say normally, and he would occasionally eff up on a question. However, he looked as if he had a great time on the show, he would joke with the celebs (sometimes piss off a few), joke with the contestants and even the staff on air. Thus why I am for him as better host of HS than Bergeron and Marshall.  Bergeron however has grown on me A LOT.

And I apologize for not being specific enough on my opinion.