Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I've always wondered...  (Read 2719 times)

gamed121683

I've always wondered...
« on: September 30, 2005, 11:54:24 AM »
...why game show reruns on cable were (and maybe still are thanks to GSN) so popular? In the 80's there were the reruns on The Family Channel and on USA. To me, their afternoon game show block with the Cartoon Express was there callling card. Were the ratings REALLY that great for these 3-4 hour blocks of progamming? Why did they last as long as they did? and now with some of these reality contest reruns on OLN, GSN, and FX ("Fear Factor") will they last and be as big as the gs reruns were 20 odd years ago.

You may now feel free to discuss.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
I've always wondered...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 12:14:31 PM »
[quote name=\'gamed121683\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 08:54 AM\']...why game show reruns on cable were (and maybe still are thanks to GSN) so popular?
[/quote]As to the USA picks, I can imagine putting anything next to "Press Your Luck" would have done well.  Kids are just getting home, and they can get into the show.  If they manage to see the greatness of "$100,000 Pyramid", mores the better.  I enjoyed the Scrabble repeats myself, since I was too young to remember the first format.

Were the ratings REALLY that great for these 3-4 hour blocks of progamming?
I doubt the ratings mattered that much.  With Sandy Frank nearly giving away "Face the Music" and "Name That Tune," it was easy to plug up holes in afternoon slots with whatever game shows they had.  They don't have to lay out a bunch of money, and if they get a bit of ratings, good on 'em.  I would think nighttime ratings were more important than daytime anyhow.

Why did they last as long as they did?
See above.  All aboot the money.  When the court shows became inexpensive enough, out go the game shows, and we get two hours of Judge Wapner.

You may now feel free to discuss.
Thank you ever so much for the permission.
Travis L. Eberle