Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Of shows on the air...  (Read 8273 times)

BrandonFG

Of shows on the air...
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2005, 09:08:02 PM »
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' date=\'Sep 19 2005, 06:08 PM\']Feud (American version) comes in a VERY close second. I can actually tolerate the Wheel contestants much better than those on the Feud.
[snapback]97217[/snapback]
[/quote]

I honestly don't see what's so bad about the Wheel contestants, except that they sometimes make a dumb guess. I think the Feud contestants are a little more annoying, and are much louder than the people on Wheel. But that's just the environment of the whole show. (cue obligatory "D0UBL3 TH3 P01NTS!!!!11!!!!!" joke)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

sshuffield70

Of shows on the air...
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005, 09:38:47 PM »
I dunno.  I've wondered about too many TPIR contestants.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Of shows on the air...
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2005, 10:39:06 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Sep 19 2005, 04:16 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 19 2005, 08:05 AM\']Bob Israel said in an interview in the 1/87 issue of TV Game SHow Magazine that Goodson did a little dance and air banjo to the original Feud theme.
[snapback]97184[/snapback]
[/quote]

Pray tell me, Zack,  how a 1987 interview regarding Mark Goodson relates to modern-day, 21st Century Karn Feud, unless Goodson is still alive and kicking and running the program from his 6' subterranean office at Forest Lawn?!???
[snapback]97221[/snapback]
[/quote]
Don't be slammin Zach on this one. The imagery makes it worthwhile.

Robert Hutchinson

Of shows on the air...
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2005, 11:15:03 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Sep 19 2005, 08:08 PM\']I honestly don't see what's so bad about the Wheel contestants, except that they sometimes make a dumb guess.[/quote]

I think the Wheel contestants' faults are magnified because their lapses in common sense aren't just annoying to the viewer (like on Feud most of the time), but are also costing them thousands upon thousands of dollars.

If you figure out the puzzle during the speed-up round, and you're not spending every second until it's your turn again figuring out which unrevealed letter appears most often in the puzzle, you look duuuuumb. To me, anyway.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

cmjb13

Of shows on the air...
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2005, 06:22:40 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Sep 19 2005, 11:15 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Sep 19 2005, 08:08 PM\']I honestly don't see what's so bad about the Wheel contestants, except that they sometimes make a dumb guess.[/quote]

I think the Wheel contestants' faults are magnified because their lapses in common sense aren't just annoying to the viewer (like on Feud most of the time), but are also costing them thousands upon thousands of dollars.

If you figure out the puzzle during the speed-up round, and you're not spending every second until it's your turn again figuring out which unrevealed letter appears most often in the puzzle, you look duuuuumb. To me, anyway.
[snapback]97242[/snapback]
[/quote]
I can't figure out why in the world contestants have to shout out their letters.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 06:22:57 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Brandon Brooks

Of shows on the air...
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2005, 08:22:46 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Sep 20 2005, 05:22 AM\']I can't figure out why in the world contestants have to shout out their letters.
[snapback]97257[/snapback]
[/quote]
Because they are told to.

Brandon Brooks

cmjb13

Of shows on the air...
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2005, 08:29:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Sep 20 2005, 08:22 AM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Sep 20 2005, 05:22 AM\']I can't figure out why in the world contestants have to shout out their letters.
[snapback]97257[/snapback]
[/quote]
Because they are told to.

Brandon Brooks
[snapback]97261[/snapback]
[/quote]
Maybe I should have made myself more clear.

What is the purpose of making them shout?

Doesn't make sense to do it just to do it.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

The Ol' Guy

Of shows on the air...
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2005, 08:48:25 AM »
A) helps create an artificial sense of excitement, and
B) their large viewing audience ages 67 and up are hard of hearing... ;-)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 08:49:14 AM by The Ol' Guy »

TimK2003

Of shows on the air...
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2005, 09:20:25 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Sep 20 2005, 07:48 AM\']A) helps create an artificial sense of excitement, and
B) their large viewing audience ages 67 and up are hard of hearing... ;-)
[snapback]97269[/snapback]
[/quote]

[CONTESTANT]  P!!!!!!!!

[O.M. PERRIWINKLE]  Wha?.. What Ya Say?... Oh..Oh yeah, "P"!!!  S'cuse me nurse, could ya fetch me a new pair of Depends??

Robert Hutchinson

Of shows on the air...
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2005, 12:10:32 AM »
I will defer to anyone who has seen Wheel's contestant coordinators in action, but my guess would be that they're telling the contestants to say their letters loud and clear (Pat asking for a repeat is not good TV), and some of them fixate on the "loud" part. You'll notice a lot of them quiet down some after a commercial break.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Steve McClellan

Of shows on the air...
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2005, 01:06:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Sep 20 2005, 09:10 PM\'][...] my guess would be that they're telling the contestants to say their letters loud and clear (Pat asking for a repeat is not good TV), and some of them fixate on the "loud" part. You'll notice a lot of them quiet down some after a commercial break.[/quote]
You are absolutely correct on all counts, sir.

calliaume

Of shows on the air...
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2005, 02:38:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Sep 21 2005, 12:06 AM\'][quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Sep 20 2005, 09:10 PM\'][...] my guess would be that they're telling the contestants to say their letters loud and clear (Pat asking for a repeat is not good TV), and some of them fixate on the "loud" part. You'll notice a lot of them quiet down some after a commercial break.[/quote]
You are absolutely correct on all counts, sir.
[snapback]97346[/snapback]
[/quote]
I suspect some of the remote locations are huge and have lousy acoustics as well, so it helps the studio audience out to shout out loud.

Johnissoevil

Of shows on the air...
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2005, 03:01:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Sep 18 2005, 03:45 PM\']Commonly, we all complain about the lousy job that contestant cordinators do these days in picking their contestants.  What show do you think does the worst?

My nod would have to go to the staff at "Wheel".
[snapback]97126[/snapback]
[/quote]

Too bad you're not talking about past shows, Mark.  Or else, I'd go with TJW 70s/80s, because as much as I like that show, as an 8 year old, I got questions right that those idiots couldn't.  But to stay on topic, I must agree and say WoF.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

uncamark

Of shows on the air...
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2005, 03:10:46 PM »
Right now, all I can think of is Penn Jillette on the last week of "H2" when Fern and Bobby the contestant bookers were the contestants:

"SMILE!  SMILE!  ENERGY!  ENERGY!  BIG SMILE!  BIG SMILE!"

TheInquisitiveOne

Of shows on the air...
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2005, 11:36:17 PM »
Watching the current version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire shows how much I miss the classic 1999-2000 edition.

I understand that personality and energy are most important in picking contestants who have passed the (admittedly hard at times) quiz. However, the one thing that made the ABC version great was that contestants also had to have a good degree of SKILL.

The contestants on this version come up with some witless banter when arriving at an answer, end up bombing out at the first tier, or do not even ATTEMPT to hit the five-figure mark. In my honest opinion, I get a more negative vibe on the show than I did when ABC did it (right).

I know what most of you are saying: the above happened when ABC did it as well. I agree, but the lack of the Fastest Finger, which brought out the $125K and up players, is surely showing out this year...these events (again, in my opinion) are happening more often than it should. I keep asking myself, "Who screens these people?" when I really should not be.

I'm sorry, but this is what I see.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.