Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Clips  (Read 3763 times)

Jeremy Nelson

New Clips
« on: September 18, 2005, 10:40:26 PM »
http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

Our beloved webmaster from Australia has posted some new clips for our viewing pleasure:

The first is from Family Double Dare in 1988, simply showing Larry Emdur's first hosting job.

The second is more interesting. It's from a 1973 episode of The Price is Right. It's kinda weird. They use a theme a bit more like ours, and the showcase readouts look like they might be using the flip cards they used on the original Password, and our original Price is Right. They also use our logo with a smaller dollar sign.

To top it all off, the whole shebang is in B&W.

Kinda weird to see what our PiR may have looked like in B&W, but pretty cool at the same time.

Whaddya Think?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
New Clips
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 10:52:08 PM »
Wow...FDD was very very similiar to our FOX FDD. And the TPIR clip was hilarious to watch...a mini version of our turntable, where the turntable is smaller than the light display behind it! Interesting view, thanks for pointing it out.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
New Clips
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 11:04:39 PM »
Grundy was great and copying the important details of the USA shows' sets, as anyone who's seen Blankety Blanks will attest.

For anyone who was wondering, the first color broadcasts in Oz didn't come around until 1974.

Fantastic clip! Good on whatever show that was that Chris recorded for digging it up :)
@lambertman

Jeremy Nelson

New Clips
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 11:12:25 PM »
I just watched the FDD clip again, and I noticed the front of the podiums don't have the traditional logo or colored triangle on the front. There's a McDonald's logo. Very interesting....... I wonder if they gave some kind of parting gift or prize during the obstacle course.

The Aussie PiR must have REALLY been tailored towards women in those days if they were bold enough to give away a "secretarial unit" as a prize!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 11:16:29 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Gus

New Clips
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 02:27:05 PM »
It's kind of odd for me, an American, to think that colo(u)r TV didn't come in Australia until 1975... although I can understand it from a technical standpoint, it's just that I'm used to thinking of TV shows, and game shows especially, from the period of about 1968 to the late 70s as overemphasizing the color and being louder and more extravagant because of the introduction of color, as compared to the quieter, more drab, and more conservative feel of programs from the black-and-white era, and I have a hard time trying to envision that black-and-white feel continuing all the way into 1975 somewhere else... if you know what I mean. </rant>

EDIT to avoid adding another post: Odd how they used the shrunken dollar sign -- which I just now realized that they must have based off of the American logo, which was, at the time, still "new". Also, on another tangent, it seems rather sparsely lit. I can't even see the host's face when he's walking through the door. Am I seeing things right?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 08:41:51 PM by Gus »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
New Clips
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 03:04:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' date=\'Sep 19 2005, 11:27 AM\']It's kind of odd for me, an American, to think that colo(u)r TV didn't come in Australia until 1975...
[/quote]
One of my friends who I game with lives in Australia and travels here frequently (which is how I game with him), and we've learned from him that Australia is very much behind the curve technologically in pretty much all areas. When he comes here, he brings an empty suitcase, which he loads up with what he considers to be bargain-priced computer hardware while he's here. We think nothing of paying $30 for a CD burner these days, but they're still over $100 there...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

brianhenke

New Clips
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 04:28:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 19 2005, 02:04 PM\'][quote name=\'Gus\' date=\'Sep 19 2005, 11:27 AM\']It's kind of odd for me, an American, to think that colo(u)r TV didn't come in Australia until 1975...
[/quote]
One of my friends who I game with lives in Australia and travels here frequently (which is how I game with him), and we've learned from him that Australia is very much behind the curve technologically in pretty much all areas. When he comes here, he brings an empty suitcase, which he loads up with what he considers to be bargain-priced computer hardware while he's here. We think nothing of paying $30 for a CD burner these days, but they're still over $100 there...
[snapback]97195[/snapback]
[/quote]

$100 Australian is equal to over 76 American dollars, BTW.

Wow, they had a version of Wipeout (with teen contestants) a decade after our version came (and went).

Brian

Will Smith played Hutch?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 04:31:11 PM by brianhenke »
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

rugrats1

New Clips
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 06:05:03 PM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Sep 19 2005, 03:28 PM\']     $100 Australian is equal to over 76 American dollars, BTW.[/quote]

Or was he talking about US$100?

Wow, they had a version of Wipeout (with teen contestants) a decade after our version came (and went).

Ditto for "Now You See It", which was also adapted for kids Down Under about 15 years after the Chuck Henry version left CBS.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
New Clips
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 06:16:48 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Sep 19 2005, 03:05 PM\']Or was he talking about US$100?
[/quote]
The point I was making stands regardless of exchange rate, but leave it to Henke to be an idiot.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 06:17:03 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Argo

New Clips
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 12:14:10 AM »
Pretty neat that the LP that the model was holding as a consolation prize, was the Quincy Jones album, with the Chump Change theme among others... another theme to another popular show....called....:)