Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Here's One I've Never Heard Of  (Read 3756 times)

calliaume

Here's One I've Never Heard Of
« on: September 22, 2005, 02:26:19 PM »
Two photos are available on eBay from what looks like a busted pilot, here and here.  Don't recognize the host; obviously American given the Montana and Gretzky jerseys in the background, probably late '80s or early '90s.

Anyone know anything on this?

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 02:35:46 PM »
It WAS an actual show---I remember seeing it listed in the EOTVGS. Don't remember many of the details, although the host looks like Jimmy Cefalo...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 02:37:05 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 02:54:05 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Sep 22 2005, 11:26 AM\']Two photos are available on eBay from what looks like a busted pilot,
Anyone know anything on this?
[/quote]
Nothing busted about it. That is in fact Jimmy Cefalo on Sports Snapshot, which was a combination sports trivia game and sports memorabilia shopping show that (at least in my area) often aired on weekends after NFL football games. (Think the same time slot that Randall Cunningham's execrable "Scramble" program frequently enjoyed.) The game was Get The Pictureish: pick a category off of the video wall, answer a question, and try to identify the sports star revealed piece by piece. As a prize for solving the puzzle, the winning player received a piece of sports memorabilia, which was then offered up to the home audience for the usual exhorbitant amount of money charged for such things. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 03:25:35 PM »
And if you thought Cefalo was stiff on Trump Card, he was no better here.

Good looking sidekick though.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 04:00:37 PM »
Yeah, it wasn't good. Nonetheless, it was a welcome surprise on a Sunday afternoon after football to see an adult game show (as compared to, say, Scramble or that horrible Go For It) instead of one of those annoying nature shows that all too often filled the void between Game End and 5:00P.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 04:13:08 PM »
WGN also had it on their national feed - but it usually aired at about 2 in the morning.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jamey Greek

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 09:44:22 PM »
I remember this show.  It came on WGN, after Cubs Games.  According to EoTVGS, it was produced by Grant Tinker's company GTG Productions.  Who also co-produced USA Today: The TV Show.

That Don Guy

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 09:56:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 22 2005, 01:54 PM\']Nothing busted about it. That is in fact Jimmy Cefalo on Sports Snapshot, which was a combination sports trivia game and sports memorabilia shopping show that (at least in my area) often aired on weekends after NFL football games. (Think the same time slot that Randall Cunningham's execrable "Scramble" program frequently enjoyed.) The game was Get The Pictureish: pick a category off of the video wall, answer a question, and try to identify the sports star revealed piece by piece. As a prize for solving the puzzle, the winning player received a piece of sports memorabilia, which was then offered up to the home audience for the usual exhorbitant amount of money charged for such things. :)
[snapback]97427[/snapback]
[/quote]
Sports Snapshot is probably best known for not giving out the prizes to a number of winning contestants.  I guess not enough people bought the expensive memorabilia (especially when there was no possible way of authenticating it until after you received it, which meant you were stuck with it if it turned out to be phony) to cover the costs.

-- Don

JohnTheGameMan

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 10:25:54 PM »
Yes, I do remember this show as I ran this show on Saturdays on a Monterey TV station.  Cefelo was okay, but it seemed to me that after his stint on "Trump Card", his energy for this show was very low.  Assisting him was Jean Fox, who may still be working for the California Lottery telecasts (not the Big Spin, but the Super Lotto draws).  I do believe it was produced by a company called Golden Gate Productions and lasted barely a season.  
I also remember that Randall Cunningham show "Scramble", which was a kid's game show---it also ran on the Monterey station I worked for.  That too lasted only one season.

clemon79

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 03:06:38 PM »
[quote name=\'JohnTheGameMan\' date=\'Sep 23 2005, 07:25 PM\']I also remember that Randall Cunningham show "Scramble", which was a kid's game show---it also ran on the Monterey station I worked for.  That too lasted only one season.
[/quote]
Hmm. If I recall correctly, those both aired on at-the-time-it-would-have-been-KCCN-unless-it-was-still-KMST. So when were you there? I was at KCBA/KION from 1995 to 1998.

JohnTheGameMan

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 06:56:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 24 2005, 02:06 PM\'][quote name=\'JohnTheGameMan\' date=\'Sep 23 2005, 07:25 PM\']I also remember that Randall Cunningham show "Scramble", which was a kid's game show---it also ran on the Monterey station I worked for.  That too lasted only one season.
[/quote]
Hmm. If I recall correctly, those both aired on at-the-time-it-would-have-been-KCCN-unless-it-was-still-KMST. So when were you there? I was at KCBA/KION from 1995 to 1998.
[snapback]97571[/snapback]
[/quote]
I was there at KMST/KCCN from Sept. 1990 to June 1996.  I was there for not one but two transitions---one from the call letter change (From KMST to KCCN) and the other moving from the Monterey locale to the shared facilities with KCBA.  But I was there at the shared facilities for nearly two months before going to work for KOFY, now known as KBWB in San Francisco.  I am still at KBWB in master control, working the prime time shift.  Perhaps I may have seen you, but I do remember a guy named Karl being the chief engineer and Adam as one of the other engineers---one of the nicer people I met when I was there.

clemon79

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 07:05:41 PM »
[quote name=\'JohnTheGameMan\' date=\'Sep 26 2005, 03:56 PM\']But I was there at the shared facilities for nearly two months before going to work for KOFY, now known as KBWB in San Francisco.  I am still at KBWB in master control, working the prime time shift.  Perhaps I may have seen you
[/quote]
You had to have, I'm fairly hard to miss. :) I think for that period I was doing audio for the news (me and Dave Markowitz were tag-teaming), I can't remember if I'd switched to tape-loading yet.

Yeah, Karl was a good guy. Adam was a good engineer, too. My opinions on Adam in other areas shall be reserved, as this is a family forum.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 07:06:19 PM by clemon79 »