Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rich Fields  (Read 24419 times)

FeudDude

Rich Fields
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2005, 11:14:06 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 2 2005, 08:42 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 2 2005, 05:32 PM\']I don't think it matters anymore whether one can speak clearly to get a high-profile announcing job.  Just ask the current "Tonight Show" announcer.
[snapback]98378[/snapback]
[/quote]
Who went through, I'm told, a LOT of voice training and work on his stuttering to get/keep that job.
[snapback]98381[/snapback]
[/quote]

This is true.  And besides - correct me if I'm wrong - I'm under the impression that one's habits during casual conversation wouldn't neccesarily carry over into copy-reading.  

And yeah, I also think Melendez does a fine job on the Tonight Show.

Jimmy Owen

Rich Fields
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2005, 11:17:35 PM »
Trying to be as delicate as possible; in a less-enlightened time a stutterer would not be in the running for a network announcing job.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

FOXSportsFan

Rich Fields
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2005, 11:50:56 PM »
[quote name=\'TPIRFan\' date=\'Oct 2 2005, 07:51 PM\'][quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Oct 2 2005, 06:46 PM\']And, to the Rich haters, look at it from this way.  When Bob goes, Rich may go too.
[snapback]98370[/snapback]
[/quote]

And WHY would we want to see Bob go? We don't like Rich because he is a horrible announcer and was not the best pick for the job. Bob has nothing to do with it.
[snapback]98384[/snapback]
[/quote]

Uh, my moronic yet humble colleague, Bob can't host forever.  And, sure he has plenty to do with it...he had a hand in it.  So, I dare ask did Fields get hired by way of both voice and looks?  I mean if I get what some of you presume, he's being groomed for face time.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 11:56:55 PM by FOXSportsFan »

CarShark

Rich Fields
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2005, 08:59:42 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 2 2005, 09:38 PM\']Ah, but allegedly we DID, CBS made it very clear that they wanted input from viewers during that period where they had Randy and etc. filling in between Rod leaving (and subsequently passing away) and Fields' hiring. I think that's what cheeses a lot of people: the faux-interest on the part of CBS followed immediately by a hiring decision very few people seem to agree with.
[snapback]98389[/snapback]
[/quote] Did they ever release who finished where? I know that many people here voted for West, but it still could be possible that more people outside of the game show community voted for Fields. We'll never know...

urbanpreppie05

Rich Fields
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2005, 10:25:46 AM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' date=\'Oct 3 2005, 07:59 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 2 2005, 09:38 PM\']Ah, but allegedly we DID, CBS made it very clear that they wanted input from viewers during that period where they had Randy and etc. filling in between Rod leaving (and subsequently passing away) and Fields' hiring. I think that's what cheeses a lot of people: the faux-interest on the part of CBS followed immediately by a hiring decision very few people seem to agree with.
[snapback]98389[/snapback]
[/quote] Did they ever release who finished where? I know that many people here voted for West, but it still could be possible that more people outside of the game show community voted for Fields. We'll never know...
[snapback]98412[/snapback]
[/quote]

It just brings back the important fact...

We're not the only ones who vote.
insert signature here

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Rich Fields
« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2005, 01:12:24 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Oct 3 2005, 07:25 AM\']It just brings back the important fact...

We're not the only ones who vote.
[snapback]98416[/snapback]
[/quote]
I proudly present:

http://www.ecotopia.com/webpress/stupidity/
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

Rich Fields
« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2005, 01:36:45 PM »
Did they ever release who finished where? I know that many people here voted for West, but it still could be possible that more people outside of the game show community voted for Fields. We'll never know...
There are CBS personnel and others who are close to TPiR who have given me verbal information on the results of that voting. The casting was clearly (and perhaps rightfully) based on other factors.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 01:37:51 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

tyshaun1

Rich Fields
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2005, 01:56:00 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Oct 3 2005, 01:36 PM\']There are CBS personnel and others who are close to TPiR who have given me verbal information on the results of that voting. The casting was clearly (and perhaps rightfully) based on other factors.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]98422[/snapback]
[/quote]
Translation: Rich did not finish first in the voting. What, then, did they decide on who got the job?

Tyshaun

TonicBH

Rich Fields
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2005, 02:04:10 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 2 2005, 06:41 PM\']And TonicBH's argument is "Well, he's a step up from Roddy," which is great, but that doesn't make Fields not "subpar", especially when it's widely agreed that better candidates existed.
[snapback]98369[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just keep in mind that when I was born, I had never heard of some guy named Johnny Olsen, I had heard of Rod Roddy. Of course, thanks to various TPiR websites, I've heard the voice of Olsen, and both Johnny and Rod, to me, are good announcers. Personally I was hoping for Randy West as well, but only because most of the other candidates weren't as qualified. Except maybe Art Sanders, from what I've heard.

By the way, did Rich ever have a week of shows where he guest-announced, before he was announced the permanent announcer? Sounds like a dumb question, but I was in school when this whole "New announcer part deux" audition was going on.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

clemon79

Rich Fields
« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2005, 02:10:10 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Oct 3 2005, 10:56 AM\']Translation: Rich did not finish first in the voting. What, then, did they decide on who got the job?
[/quote]
Height.

FeudDude

Rich Fields
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2005, 02:58:04 PM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' date=\'Oct 3 2005, 02:04 PM\']By the way, did Rich ever have a week of shows where he guest-announced, before he was announced the permanent announcer? Sounds like a dumb question, but I was in school when this whole "New announcer part deux" audition was going on.
[snapback]98426[/snapback]
[/quote]

Rich was the third-to-last announcer to audition (Don Bishop and Jim Thornton came after him), and had two audition weeks.

Stackertosh

Rich Fields
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2005, 03:06:25 PM »
i was rooting for burtion to get the job since he did alot of shows. i liked rich at first but he got annoying with the come on down's and the new car. he just trys too hard to sound exciting

FPGWillyT

Rich Fields
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2005, 05:06:22 PM »
I'm sorry clemon79 I'm still confused by your posts.

Are you saying you "like" or "don't like" Rich Fields?!?!?!?

As far as comparing A vs B vs C as the announcers go, I grew up as a kiddo in the 70's so I have the benefit of "knowing" all three announcers.  How anyone can place them side by side and say one was better than the other is really beyond my comprehensions.

Each announcer had their own style and brought whatever that was to the show.  Why would Rod have emulated Johnny when he took over, and why would Rich emulate either of the others as well?

As far as who did or did not and should or should not have gotten the job, I guess that's not for anyone to decide.  I personally think Rich does a fantastic job announcing the show.  I don't hear Johnny or Rod when I hear Rich and really don't want to.  I want the memories of those voices to remain exactly that:  fond memories.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

clemon79

Rich Fields
« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2005, 06:24:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Stackertosh\' date=\'Oct 3 2005, 12:06 PM\']i was rooting for burtion to get the job since he did alot of shows.
[snapback]98430[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yeah, that's a FINE criteria.
[quote name=\'FPGWillyT\' date=\'Oct 3 2005, 02:06 PM\']I'm sorry clemon79 I'm still confused by your posts.
Are you saying you "like" or "don't like" Rich Fields?!?!?!?
[snapback]98439[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't think he's absolutely horrible, there are far worse announcers as the game show business goes. (Burton Richardson comes IMMEDIATELY to mind.) I certainly don't think he's remarkable, though, and no WAY would I put him in a class with Johnny Olsen.

This comment said "if you don't like Rich, tell CBS." My point has simply been that CBS didn't listen to us when it came to the original hiring decision, so I see no reason why they would listen to us now.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Rich Fields
« Reply #104 on: October 03, 2005, 07:25:49 PM »
There are CBS personnel and others who are close to TPiR who have given me verbal information on the results of that voting. The casting was clearly (and perhaps rightfully) based on other factors.
It IS Fremantle, after all.