Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Season 7 of CPS  (Read 5672 times)

itiparanoid13

Season 7 of CPS
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 03:14:27 PM »
I have to be a plug whore for a moment, but check out my site for all the story.  It's a big one.  The celebrities were announced, but honestly, nothing as big as this season as far as I can see, besides James Woods.  It's mostly comedians this season.  No returning champs.  Dule Hill, Camryn Manheim, and James Woods are involved.  The big winner will get $500,000 for charity this season.  Also, if you go to www.bravotv.com, they have their own poker game now with "the look and feel of Celebrity Poker Showdown".  CPS7, with a million dollar jackpot, begins October 13th at 9PM ET.

Matt Ottinger

Season 7 of CPS
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 04:13:19 PM »
After reading the story on Buzzer (I have no problem with plug whores), I'm equally unimpressed.  Celebrity Poker Showdown would seem a very unlikely beneficiary of Mo' Money Syndrome.  The game and the payouts are exactly the same until the final episode, when the winners get more money that they don't actually get anyway.  I guess they're hoping that the extra $750,000 gets them that much in publicity.

They're certainly not going to draw a crowd based on star power, though Desperate Housewives fans will get a kick out of the first episode, featuring the men from the show.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan, and I'll be watching every episode.  I just couldn't care less about the extra dough, and I don't think they're doing themselves any favors with this line-up, even if they are a lot of returning players.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 04:13:58 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

davemackey

Season 7 of CPS
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 07:31:52 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Sep 27 2005, 03:14 PM\']I have to be a plug whore for a moment, but check out my site for all the story.  It's a big one.  The celebrities were announced, but honestly, nothing as big as this season as far as I can see, besides James Woods.  It's mostly comedians this season.  No returning champs.  Dule Hill, Camryn Manheim, and James Woods are involved.  The big winner will get $500,000 for charity this season.  Also, if you go to www.bravotv.com, they have their own poker game now with "the look and feel of Celebrity Poker Showdown".  CPS7, with a million dollar jackpot, begins October 13th at 9PM ET.
[snapback]97825[/snapback]
[/quote]
As much as I love "Celebrity Poker Showdown", the "look and feel" leaves something to be desired. Every other poker show on the air (including WPT) shows the hand percentages on screen, why doesn't CPS? Sometimes Phil Gordon tells us, say, "Camryn is a 72% favorite to win this hand".

And answering an earlier post, yes, Cingular did pull their sponsorship of the prize pool after one season, and even went so far as to order Bravo to edit their plugs out of the repeats. So you'll see awkward edits and dialogue jumps at times. And that's exactly what it sounds like when you talk on a Cingular phone (and which is why I switched to Verizon).

itiparanoid13

Season 7 of CPS
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 08:49:54 PM »
Let me ask some of you this.  Do you think this million dollar jackpot is a last effort by CPS to get viewers to watch?  Without having a tourney of champs, an increased tournament, or anything else special besides the million, this is basically to me "Please watch because we're getting cancelled if you don't."

By the way, I tried the online game.  It's not bad, but it's not great.  The graphics and engine are extremely nice, but it's how slow everything is.  It took me 4 minutes just to load into a room, and it lagged out there.

Robert Hutchinson

Season 7 of CPS
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2005, 10:29:48 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Sep 27 2005, 07:49 PM\']Let me ask some of you this.  Do you think this million dollar jackpot is a last effort by CPS to get viewers to watch?  Without having a tourney of champs, an increased tournament, or anything else special besides the million, this is basically to me "Please watch because we're getting cancelled if you don't."[/quote]

Well, you do have "paranoid" in your screen name . . .

Has CPS been, in any way, in danger of cancellation? I thought it was still one of Bravo's flagship shows.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Matt Ottinger

Season 7 of CPS
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2005, 11:30:06 PM »
I'm with Robert.  This doesn't reek of desperation the way a typical Mo' Money treatment does, and I've never heard anything about CPS's ratings one way or the other.  Seems to be about the cheapest way they could regularly fill a two-hour block (even with the extra payouts), and it gets mentioned in every story I've read about poker on TV.  I hesitate to use the word "flagship" as long as those queer eyes are helping us straight guys, but it probably does just fine for them.

Speedy G

Season 7 of CPS
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2005, 11:42:42 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Sep 27 2005, 07:31 PM\']As much as I love "Celebrity Poker Showdown", the "look and feel" leaves something to be desired. Every other poker show on the air (including WPT) shows the hand percentages on screen, why doesn't CPS? Sometimes Phil Gordon tells us, say, "Camryn is a 72% favorite to win this hand".
[snapback]97846[/snapback]
[/quote]

Every other poker show on the air has professional poker players who know the percentages, or at least should know.  The percentages don't mean a darn thing when you're playing with calling stations like Colin Quinn or with absolutely random players like Dennis Rodman.

Every time I watch I can't help but think it's totally irrelevant what game they're actually playing.  It wouldn't matter if they were playing War or 52-card Pickup, as long as the celebrities had their banter, and a host and expert could fill any dead air with commentary/wisecracking.  That, and the promotion of alcohol.  :)
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

uncamark

Season 7 of CPS
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2005, 02:59:07 PM »
No, Matt.  Bravo's flagship is still James Lipton bending over and planting wet ones on actors' backsides.  Even if he lost the New School as a place to do it, he's got a new location and as long as there's actors, "Inside the Actor's Studio" will be in production (even if the really good ones have already been done).

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Season 7 of CPS
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2005, 03:04:44 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 28 2005, 11:59 AM\']No, Matt.  Bravo's flagship is still James Lipton bending over and planting wet ones on actors' backsides.  Even if he lost the New School as a place to do it, he's got a new location and as long as there's actors, "Inside the Actor's Studio" will be in production (even if the really good ones have already been done).
[snapback]97946[/snapback]
[/quote]
They moved the show from the New School? Did something happen, or did this change just happen quietly?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Season 7 of CPS
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2005, 03:12:01 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 28 2005, 03:04 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 28 2005, 11:59 AM\']No, Matt.  Bravo's flagship is still James Lipton bending over and planting wet ones on actors' backsides.  Even if he lost the New School as a place to do it, he's got a new location and as long as there's actors, "Inside the Actor's Studio" will be in production (even if the really good ones have already been done).[/quote]
They moved the show from the New School? Did something happen, or did this change just happen quietly?[/quote]
Here's a press release, though I hadn't heard anything about it either until Mark mentioned it in this thread.

uncamark

Season 7 of CPS
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2005, 03:12:24 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 28 2005, 02:04 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 28 2005, 11:59 AM\']No, Matt.  Bravo's flagship is still James Lipton bending over and planting wet ones on actors' backsides.  Even if he lost the New School as a place to do it, he's got a new location and as long as there's actors, "Inside the Actor's Studio" will be in production (even if the really good ones have already been done).
[snapback]97946[/snapback]
[/quote]
They moved the show from the New School? Did something happen, or did this change just happen quietly?
[snapback]97949[/snapback]
[/quote]

Basically, the New School kicked the Actor's Studio out completely to start their own drama department (Lipton was the dean of the program).  I saw that Lipton and the Actor's Studio landed somewhere else, but I don't remember where--and they have some shows at the New School that they haven't aired yet before they go back into production.

At the time the New School did it, Tom Heald suggested in tvbarn2 that they could just put the show somewhere at 30 Rock and call it "Conversations with James Lipton" and keep it going--but they didn't have to.  It's staying around simply because Lauren Zazalnick needs it, along with the Cirque du Soleil shows, to keep up her claims that Bravo is still an "arts" channel.