Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune  (Read 6832 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2005, 11:00:05 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' date=\'Sep 18 2005, 07:26 PM\']All I know is that the king of word games should be celebrated as the man who got this concept off its feet.
[/quote]
What does Bob Stewart have to do with this?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005, 11:33:16 AM »
Sorry. I forgot to clarify. Post edited.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2005, 01:55:06 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' date=\'Sep 19 2005, 08:33 AM\']Sorry. I forgot to clarify. Post edited.
[/quote]
Yeah, that helped a lot.

(Wow.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

musicman

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2005, 07:43:38 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' date=\'Sep 18 2005, 09:26 PM\']I was even surprised when Pat made a joke pertaining to the Woolery run. I think it was something like:

"You know, I get all kinds of mail from viewers. Some even ask when Chuck Woolery's coming back from vacation."

I wouldn't be surprised a bit if that were true.

The key word here, people , is RESPECT. At least Alex Trebek understands that he wasn't the reason why Jeopardy! was so popular. He understood that it was Art Fleming who laid down the foundation that established Jeopardy! as a staple of American pop-culture to some,  and a serious game show to others. As a result, he RESPECTS the tradition and history of Jeopardy!.

Although they are run by the same company, it seems that Wheel's hosts pays no homage to their predecessors. Maybe it's because of the "fallout" between Merv and Chuck concerning salaries. Maybe its because Pat's paid to keep the game going at lightspeed, causing him to cut all extra tidbits which make game shows enjoyable to watch.

Fleming, Cullen, Dawson, Marshall, and Ludden. All five initiated concepts which became big hits at one time or another, and have had numerous runs.

Where's Chuck?
[snapback]97157[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bass fishing. (rimshot!)

I agree about WoF.  If you watched the E! THS,  Woolery is to WHEEL as Dawson is to FEUD. (just my opinion)

Another Pat/Chuck moment was from the ending monologue when Pat lifted a visor on a knight statue and yelled into it..."CHUCK?!  Is that YOU?!"

megamanj1986

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2005, 01:22:06 PM »
That is a pretty good and clear comparison b'tween Wheel and Feud. Kind of ironic, considering Wheel was the same show that took Feud's title as #1 GS in 1984.

That thing does kind of get me, like Rollercaoster 87 said when a show like Wheel is still running and doesn't include it's predecessors.

Even Donny Osmond's Pyramid mentions the Dick Clark $100K Pyramid often.

Even Trebek knew that Fleming WAS the man who paved the way for Trebek's long run on J!

You'll even hear occasional mentions of Allen Ludden on SP and PW+ (after Ludden's death).

uncamark

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2005, 02:33:34 PM »
Ultimately, the problem with NBC "Wheel" is that its success was always relative.  It was the top-rated daytime show on NBC--but it was still second to "TPIR" in its time slot on the third-ranked daytime network.  Hell, it almost got canned in 1980.

On the other hand, "Jeopardy!" built up a lot of good will thanks to all of those college kids in the 60s who made it a lunchtime habit.  In the 80s, they would be unhappy if Trebek didn't acknowledge every once in a while that beloved memory of the Art Fleming days.  As a middling show on a third-ranked network, "Wheel" just didn't have that cachet--and to a lot of people, what Pat and Vanna started doing in September 1983 (or later) was new to them.

When "J!" started its present run, it was already in the pop culture zeitgeist.  "Wheel" needed syndication--and Vanna--to get there.

BrandonFG

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2005, 08:04:36 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 27 2005, 01:33 PM\']When "J!" started its present run, it was already in the pop culture zeitgeist.  "Wheel" needed syndication--and Vanna--to get there.
[snapback]97815[/snapback]
[/quote]

Question: Was Weird Al's "I Lost of Jeopardy" song before or after the Trebek version debuted?

(then of course, there was the gag in Airplane II, two years before Trebek)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

inturnaround

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2005, 08:53:28 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Sep 27 2005, 08:04 PM\']Question: Was Weird Al's "I Lost of Jeopardy" song before or after the Trebek version debuted?
[snapback]97850[/snapback]
[/quote]

It was before Trebek. The AL-bum with "I Lost on Jeopardy!" was early in 1984. The whole song is about the Fleming version, too (as is the video).
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Ian Wallis

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2005, 09:04:33 AM »
It was before Trebek. The AL-bum with "I Lost on Jeopardy!" was early in 1984. The whole song is about the Fleming version, too (as is the video).

Not to mention the single, which had a nice picture sleeve with part of the original "Jeopardy" board in the background of the shot of Weird Al.  If anyone on this board still has their vinyl (besides me!), this single sometimes pops up at record shows or flea markets and should be fairly easily obtainable.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2005, 12:23:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 28 2005, 08:04 AM\']Not to mention the single, which had a nice picture sleeve with part of the original "Jeopardy" board in the background of the shot of Weird Al.
[/quote]
Correct me if I'm wrong; but wasn't the 78-79 version the one they used for the album?

Or, did they use the same board in both versions?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2005, 02:55:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Sep 28 2005, 11:23 AM\'][quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 28 2005, 08:04 AM\']Not to mention the single, which had a nice picture sleeve with part of the original "Jeopardy" board in the background of the shot of Weird Al.
[/quote]
Correct me if I'm wrong; but wasn't the 78-79 version the one they used for the album?

Or, did they use the same board in both versions?
[snapback]97926[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think a replica of the original board was built for the video, along with a copy of the original set.  Nothing from the revival was used in the clip.