Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Celebrities as GS Hosts  (Read 6013 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Celebrities as GS Hosts
« on: September 30, 2005, 11:48:34 AM »
I just picked up the In Living Color 1st Season DVD yesterday, and in one sketch, they parody Love Connection with Jim Carrey as Chuck Woolery. I never knew he could do Chuck that well! He gets my nod, but the guy who plays Louie Anderson on Mad TV is pretty good, too.

Who else knows of any good impressions?

***Side Note*** If you buy the first season, you'll see Carrie Ann Inaba, one of the Dancing With The Stars judges, as one of the original Fly Girls.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

uncamark

Celebrities as GS Hosts
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 12:28:39 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 10:48 AM\']***Side Note*** If you buy the first season, you'll see Carrie Ann Inaba, one of the Dancing With The Stars judges, as one of the original Fly Girls.
[snapback]98157[/snapback]
[/quote]

And a choreographer on "So You Think You Can Dance."  She got around this summer.

Of course, there's another Fly Girl from that first season who's gone on to other things--the one with the big booty that calls herself J-Lo now.

calliaume

Celebrities as GS Hosts
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 12:36:01 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 10:48 AM\']Who else knows of any good impressions?
[snapback]98157[/snapback]
[/quote]

Will Ferrell and Eugene Levy both do a pretty good Alex Trebek.

Jeremy Nelson

Celebrities as GS Hosts
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 01:17:26 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 11:28 AM\']Of course, there's another Fly Girl from that first season who's gone on to other things--the one with the big booty that calls herself J-Lo now.
[snapback]98161[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, J-Lo didn't get introduced until Season 3, when Jamie Foxx joined the cast, but who's counting? Seeing J-Lo in a set of spandex from the early 90s is good FOX TV anytime.

I remember Dana Carvey playing Ray Combs on SNL's Dysfunctional Family Feud, and if anything, he looked the part.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Matt Ottinger

Celebrities as GS Hosts
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 01:35:00 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 12:36 PM\']Will Ferrell and Eugene Levy both do a pretty good Alex Trebek.[/quote]
If you get right down to it, Ferrell's impression of Alex isn't very good at all.  He's created an amusing Alex Trebek character, but his skill at mimicry really isn't being put to the test the way it is with, say, his George Bush or Harry Carey impressions.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Celebrities as GS Hosts
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 01:50:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 12:35 PM\'][quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 12:36 PM\']Will Ferrell and Eugene Levy both do a pretty good Alex Trebek.[/quote]
If you get right down to it, Ferrell's impression of Alex isn't very good at all.  He's created an amusing Alex Trebek character, but his skill at mimicry really isn't being put to the test the way it is with, say, his George Bush or Harry Carey impressions.
[snapback]98173[/snapback]
[/quote]
I never liked Ferrell's Harry Caray impression.  He looked the part, but John Camponera has Caray nailed.  To be fair, Caray's voice is a little hard to get (even Jon Miller, who can impersonate with the best of 'em, sometimes struggles to get Caray down--but he still does a mean Vin Scully)--we can all do the caricature of a drunken Caray in the broadcast booth, but the best pure Caray impression I've heard was Camponera's.

Doug -- and the countdown to 1500 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Jeremy Nelson

Celebrities as GS Hosts
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 02:17:55 PM »
If you really think about it, Alex Trebek isn't really funny on Celebrity Jeopardy! It would still be as funny if Jeff Probst was at the helm of R&R Jeopardy! (god forbid). It's the celebrities ineptness and Connery's dirty jokes which make it funny. Alex is just there as a whipping boy who moves the game along.

uncamark

Celebrities as GS Hosts
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 02:20:19 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 01:17 PM\']If you really think about it, Alex Trebek isn't really funny on Celebrity Jeopardy! It would still be as funny if Jeff Probst was at the helm of R&R Jeopardy! (god forbid). It's the celebrities ineptness and Connery's dirty jokes which make it funny. Alex is just there as a whipping boy who moves the game along.
[snapback]98177[/snapback]
[/quote]

Much like the real Trebek.  :)

musicman

Celebrities as GS Hosts
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 09:29:04 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 12:17 PM\']I remember Dana Carvey playing Ray Combs on SNL's Dysfunctional Family Feud, and if anything, he looked the part.
[snapback]98171[/snapback]
[/quote]

With the exception of the bad blond moptop wig Dana wore, plus he didn't even try sounding like Ray.

beatlefreak84

Celebrities as GS Hosts
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 10:51:03 PM »
I thought Darrell Hammond had Regis Philbin down perfectly on SNL; the mannerisms and accent at the end of each word made it almost seem like Regis WAS on SNL!  Of course, he didn't really look the part, but I don't think that took away from much of anything.

And I definitely have to agree that Dana Carvey did an excellent Ray Combs...:)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

BrandonFG

Celebrities as GS Hosts
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2005, 01:09:11 AM »
[quote name=\'cool245\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 10:32 PM\']I liked the Who Wants to Be A Millionaire Parody in The Simpsons where Moe went on "Me Wantee".
[snapback]98217[/snapback]
[/quote]
What the hell does that have to do with the thread, other than Millionaire impersonations being mentioned?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gwarman2005

Celebrities as GS Hosts
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2005, 03:03:10 AM »
I know he's not a host, but the guy on MAD TV who does the Rod Roddy impersonation has Rod down cold.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Celebrities as GS Hosts
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2005, 03:23:31 AM »
[quote name=\'gwarman2005\' date=\'Oct 1 2005, 12:03 AM\']I know he's not a host, but the guy on MAD TV who does the Rod Roddy impersonation has Rod down cold.
[snapback]98231[/snapback]
[/quote]
Please don't use "Rod Roddy" and "cold" in the same sentence. Thank you.

BrandonFG

Celebrities as GS Hosts
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2005, 12:08:25 PM »
[quote name=\'gwarman2005\' date=\'Oct 1 2005, 02:03 AM\']I know he's not a host, but the guy on MAD TV who does the Rod Roddy impersonation has Rod down cold.
[snapback]98231[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think that's Frank Caliendo. If so, he does an EXCELLENT John Madden impression, all the way down to the blatantly obvious observations. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

FOXSportsFan

Celebrities as GS Hosts
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2005, 09:21:50 PM »
Yep, that's Frank...and he's incredible with Madden and Roddy.  I like Michael McDonald's portrayal of Barker on those MAD Price spoofs too.  Deadpan like Bob.

I thought Carvey's impersonation of Ray Combs wasn't too bad either...kinda like Ray on Sanka and such.