Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Price is Right DVD Game  (Read 4027 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
The Price is Right DVD Game
« on: September 15, 2005, 12:31:10 PM »
Has a thread started up yet? In any event Chris Bogart did a post reviewing the home game that got buried somewhere else, so I thought I'd bring attention to that and post my own musings.

If any of this is old news to you by reading golden-road.net or anything my apologies. Basically, a number of participants bid (the rules suggest writing them down, but we go for the one-at-a-time TV style) and the winner takes on the remote for their pricing game.

The 12 included are: Cliff Hangers, Danger Price, Five Price Tags, Golden Road, Grand Game, Lucky Seven, Most Expensive, Pass the Buck, Plinko, Push Over, Safe Crackers & Shell Game. While I haven't demo'd all of them, I did find they were well designed and fun to play. Golden Road for example uses stacks right from the show. Cliff Hangers gives your options instead of an open dialog box, but it covers a decent range of prices, and is reasonable if you're not "bids $200 on a can opener" guy.

The graphics are of course stellar...well done, crisp adaptations of the games and set. I could drone on about what's not accurate and stuff, but that's superfluous to the enjoyment.

The Big Wheel here serves as more of a utility in that you press enter and it provides you a random animation of the wheel spinning and hitting a result. It does add up scores, but does not keep track or limit you to a game for three people. It takes away a tad when you have no control over the result, but it serves its purpose, and I guess that's okay.

The prizes are done as such: a still is provided from the show and its corresponding copy. You hear a bevy of announcers and music here...from Rich to Rod to Daniel to Randy and a few others I'm not familiar enough with to identify. Again, you can complain you're playing Danger Price with prizes clearly featured in Credit Card or whatever, but it's obviously miles ahead of showing you a crude black and white drawing or no picture at all.

The biggest gripe for me lies with the showcase. The huge plus is that they're taken from the episodes, and that they went the extra mile to put in a few extra pictures of each prize, so that the presentations have more life. But why is this multiple choice? There are six choices for each showcase bid covering a range of prices, but considering the game only uses this to tell you who won in the end (not telling you the differences or anything) why can't we just write it down and have the right guy/gal celebrate with the game's music and SFX? If Trivial Pursuit: DVD and Scene It can settle for a generic "you win" montage at the end of the game, why couldn't TPIR?

At the very least, I'll just be writing down my own bids and forgetting the DVD there. But if you're not so involved in the fandom that them using the wrong music cue bothers you, then you'll agree with me this is the best TPIR home option thus far, and a definite buy if you like party games. I can say this: more people walking by at a party will wanna jump in on this rather than the box game or PC game...

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

whammy5000

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 12:55:42 AM »
Sorry for bringing up a practically dead topic here, but has anyone tried playing this game on a Playstation 2?  I tried to play it on mine, and everything seemed to work fine except for the Showcase Showdown.  Every time I picked it on the menu, the whole thing would start over.

TonicBH

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 11:08:50 AM »
[quote name=\'whammy5000\' date=\'Sep 29 2005, 11:55 PM\']Sorry for bringing up a practically dead topic here, but has anyone tried playing this game on a Playstation 2?  I tried to play it on mine, and everything seemed to work fine except for the Showcase Showdown.  Every time I picked it on the menu, the whole thing would start over.
[snapback]98127[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's because it's a DVD game, silly. You put it in your DVD player. It's like trying to install Windows 95 on an Xbox. It just doesn't work.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

aaron sica

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 11:23:18 AM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 11:08 AM\']That's because it's a DVD game, silly. You put it in your DVD player. It's like trying to install Windows 95 on an Xbox. It just doesn't work.
[snapback]98154[/snapback]
[/quote]

Unless I'm completely off the mark here, and I totally might be - I honestly can't see any reason that the game *wouldn't* work in a PS2. It simply boils down to pressing buttons on your remote, right? Much like the "Dragon's Lair" and "Space Ace" games that came out on DVD that also boast they can be played on PS2 and Xbox...

Feel free to WHOOSH me on this one...:)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 11:46:24 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 11:23 AM\']Unless I'm completely off the mark here, and I totally might be - I honestly can't see any reason that the game *wouldn't* work in a PS2. It simply boils down to pressing buttons on your remote, right? Much like the "Dragon's Lair" and "Space Ace" games that came out on DVD that also boast they can be played on PS2 and Xbox...

Feel free to WHOOSH me on this one...:)[/quote]
I don't think a "whoosh" is necessary for anybody on this one, despite Tonic's sarcasm.  Still, Tonic may be right.  If the game wasn't specifically designed to be played in a PS2, then it wouldn't surprise me at all that it would be 90% or even 95% compatible without being perfectly so.

This may or may not relate, but when I produce DVDs of our school concerts for people, I've gotten many reports of them playing in PS2s just fine for most of the disc, but skipping or freezing near the end.

I guess the really helpful posts would be from people who have the DVD game and also have PS2s so we could find out whether this is isolated to you or a compatibility issue across the board.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

alfonzos

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 03:08:27 PM »
[/quote]

That's because it's a DVD game, silly. You put it in your DVD player. It's like trying to install Windows 95 on an Xbox. It just doesn't work.
[snapback]98154[/snapback]
[/quote]

No, I gave a PS2 as a present because it also plays DVDs. I even bought a remote for it.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 03:26:58 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 08:23 AM\']Unless I'm completely off the mark here, and I totally might be - I honestly can't see any reason that the game *wouldn't* work in a PS2. It simply boils down to pressing buttons on your remote, right? Much like the "Dragon's Lair" and "Space Ace" games that came out on DVD that also boast they can be played on PS2 and Xbox...

Feel free to WHOOSH me on this one...:)
[snapback]98155[/snapback]
[/quote]
No, you're right on. A PS2 is (well, it's supposed to be) a fully functional DVD player, as is an XBox (with the annoying Remote Dongle...at least with my PS2 we can control the thing through the gamepad if we really need to), and there's no real (documented) reason why a standard DVD shouldn't work.

The problem is that these games tend to push the envelope of what constitutes a "standard DVD".
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe