Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: For your shopping pleasure...  (Read 4630 times)

Matt Ottinger

For your shopping pleasure...
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 12:16:45 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 2 2005, 04:31 PM\'][quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Oct 2 2005, 12:25 PM\']The first bidder opened for $20. The second bidder bid $100...and then the second bidder upped his bid to $175 for no reason! Am I missing something here?[/quote]
Shill bidding, or the guy who posted it set a reserve higher than $100.[/quote]
Almost certainly the latter.  There's no benefit to the seller for a shill bid to trigger the reserve price.  A brief explanation for those unfamiliar with Ebay practices:

The seller had a "reserve" price, a price initially unknown to the bidders, but a price below which the item will not sell.  Presumably, the second bidder put in a $100 bid, saw that it didn't meet the reserve price, then went back later to make a larger bid that did.  Keep in mind that the bidder probably placed a bid larger than $175, but we won't know that for sure until some bigger goomba tries to top him.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the reserve price.  Just make your bottom-line price the opening bid.  If you don't get any bids, then no one wanted to pay that much.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 04:53:53 AM »
Somehow, I keep forgetting that Check Game check I see on TPIR is actually HUGE(20"x40").  It might be tough to squeeze that kind of a check through a small doorway(even though it's a "fake" check).

Now I know what that Cliffhangers tune is.  I'm just hoping that there's a CD version of that LP.

"Winnie" as a GSN character eh?  Sure looked cool.  I liked it better than that swirling ball they used post-1997.  I didn't get GSN full time untill the summer of 1998.

I too hate reserve prices.  I prefer a simple auction.  No reserves. And for pete's sake, NO SHILLING!

uncamark

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 05:25:07 PM »
The "Strike It Rich" game is the British version of the show (their Hot Spot was our Bandit--I assume that "Wipeout" in the UK called the Hot Spot something else, if they did it at all).

And I'm guessing, since the "Blockbusters" card game is called "Gold Run," that it was played this way:  Shuffle a bunch of hexagonally-shaped cards and deal them out in four rows of five, initials side up.  Someone plays contestant and the other plays Bob/Liza/Bill C./Bill R.  Contestant chooses card, host picks it up, reads clue from other side with gold color.  Contestant is right, card is placed on gold side.  Contestant is wrong, card is put in discard pile.  Repeat until contestant gets to other side, a minute runs out or whatever.

Hey, Central and Goodson were glad to take the money.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 11:33:19 AM by uncamark »

cmjb13

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 06:58:19 AM »
The check ended up going for $203, only $3 higher than his last check auction.

All things considered, I thought it would go for a lot more than that.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS