Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Commercial with Major GS Reference  (Read 6709 times)

Rastaub

New Commercial with Major GS Reference
« on: October 03, 2005, 11:52:38 PM »
Forgive me if this is old news and has been brouight up, but, tonight I was watching King of Queens on CBS and saw a commercial for Comcast Cable. It featured a clip of seventies Pyramid Winners Circle (I want to say 20K). The celeb and contestants category names were altered to fit the commercial. The clip was at least 30 seconds long and at the end it featured a neat Pyramid shaped Comcast graphic.

davemackey

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 01:11:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Rastaub\' date=\'Oct 3 2005, 11:52 PM\']Forgive me if this is old news and has been brouight up, but, tonight I was watching King of Queens on CBS and saw a commercial for Comcast Cable. It featured a clip of seventies Pyramid Winners Circle (I want to say 20K). The celeb and contestants category names were altered to fit the commercial. The clip was at least 30 seconds long and at the end it featured a neat Pyramid shaped Comcast graphic.
[snapback]98494[/snapback]
[/quote]
Always someone coming late to the party.

http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=8849&hl=

musicman

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 10:57:17 PM »
While watching "Two-and-a-half Men" on CBS last night, I also saw that commercial. (Yes it was the ABC $20,000 Pyramid) I don't know if it mattered at all that the two shows were from different networks or not?

Loretta Swit was the celebrity giving the clues. (voiced-over of course ;)

davemackey

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 01:22:21 AM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Oct 4 2005, 10:57 PM\']While watching "Two-and-a-half Men" on CBS last night, I also saw that commercial. (Yes it was the ABC $20,000 Pyramid) I don't know if it mattered at all that the two shows were from different networks or not?

Loretta Swit was the celebrity giving the clues. (voiced-over of course ;)
[snapback]98624[/snapback]
[/quote]
No, it doesn't matter the network. But it's very significant that Comcast is now doing national network advertising; I think they're now the only cable company that pretty much has a national footprint.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 08:19:24 AM »
Yep, Philadelphia, Mid-Atlantic, Detroit, Chicago, Northern Cali, Portland (heh, they employ my services), Seattle, the southeast US...yep they're branching out.

Doesn't the Com in Comcast stand for Communist...aka what their service is.

uncamark

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 12:32:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Rastaub\' date=\'Oct 3 2005, 10:52 PM\']Forgive me if this is old news and has been brouight up, but, tonight I was watching King of Queens on CBS and saw a commercial for Comcast Cable. It featured a clip of seventies Pyramid Winners Circle (I want to say 20K). The celeb and contestants category names were altered to fit the commercial. The clip was at least 30 seconds long and at the end it featured a neat Pyramid shaped Comcast graphic.
[/quote]

"IT'S COMCASTIC!"

Since the only time I've seen the spot (which may be running just locally) I didn't look at the screen right at the beginning, is there a Sony copyright or trademark credit at the top of the spot for "Pyramid" in it (with perhaps a "watch Pyramid on GSN on Comcast Digital Cable")?

Tim L

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 01:12:28 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 5 2005, 12:32 PM\'][quote name=\'Rastaub\' date=\'Oct 3 2005, 10:52 PM\']Forgive me if this is old news and has been brouight up, but, tonight I was watching King of Queens on CBS and saw a commercial for Comcast Cable. It featured a clip of seventies Pyramid Winners Circle (I want to say 20K). The celeb and contestants category names were altered to fit the commercial. The clip was at least 30 seconds long and at the end it featured a neat Pyramid shaped Comcast graphic.
[/quote]

"IT'S COMCASTIC!"

Since the only time I've seen the spot (which may be running just locally) I didn't look at the screen right at the beginning, is there a Sony copyright or trademark credit at the top of the spot for "Pyramid" in it (with perhaps a "watch Pyramid on GSN on Comcast Digital Cable")?
[snapback]98719[/snapback]
[/quote]

I havent seen the commercial in question since I am in Time-Warner territory..(Canton-Akron, Ohio)..With Time-Warner gaining some of Adelphia's former systems it seems that nearly all of Ohio will eventually become Time-Warner Cable territory.

aaron sica

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 01:36:31 PM »
They're gobbling everyone up, it seems....Rumor has it that the one cable company in York (Suscom) is being bought out by Comcast.....Although the name, I'm assuming, will probably change to Comcast, the name "Suscomcast" does have a neat ring to it...

SteveRep

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 05:52:07 PM »
Might not be a national campaign, more like gobbling up the 1-2 min of each half-hour that the local station gets to sell in a network program.

davemackey

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 06:00:25 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveRep\' date=\'Oct 5 2005, 05:52 PM\']Might not be a national campaign, more like gobbling up the 1-2 min of each half-hour that the local station gets to sell in a network program.
[snapback]98762[/snapback]
[/quote]
No, it's national. ABC's run the spot during Monday Night Football, along with a billboard saying you can watch MNF in high definition with Comcast.

Brakus

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 06:02:06 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 5 2005, 11:32 AM\']Since the only time I've seen the spot (which may be running just locally) I didn't look at the screen right at the beginning, is there a Sony copyright or trademark credit at the top of the spot for "Pyramid" in it (with perhaps a "watch Pyramid on GSN on Comcast Digital Cable")?
[snapback]98719[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, no, just "Copyright 2005 Comcast Cable Communications". No chance of anything like that airing in Southeast Virginia considering Cox Cable is the dominant cable provider here.

Also, "Here is your first subject.... Go!" is edited out (from the version Troy Diggs posted on his LJ), apparently for fear of having to pay Dick Clark for the use of his voice. Still, it's amazing the things you can do with Adobe software these days. (Photoshop for the flippy boxes, Premiere for the editing and audio work, and AfterEffects for any special effects.)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 06:03:42 PM by Brakus »
"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. THAT is the secret of life." -- Iskandar, King of Conquerors (Fate/Zero, Fate/GO)

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 05:02:22 AM »
Never caught it until it was mentioned here, now I see it all the time. Clever little commercial. Would this episode be considered "public domain" or does Loretta Swit still get a "lovely" royalty check?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

jrjgames

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005, 11:23:02 PM »
To view the clip copy this into IE...

If you click this, youll get a page cant be displayed, just click in the address bar and press enter and it'll work

http://www.dhadm.com/stuart/media/oct2005_...t_game_show.wmv

John
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 11:25:03 PM by jrjgames »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2005, 11:34:41 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Oct 8 2005, 04:02 AM\']Never caught it until it was mentioned here, now I see it all the time. Clever little commercial. Would this episode be considered "public domain" or does Loretta Swit still get a "lovely" royalty check?
[/quote]
The same for Ken Alden, since you hear a tiny bit of "Tunin' Up" in the background...don't see how this could be public domain...otherwise...wouldn't that make selling episodes of this original episode be allowed?

Thanks for posting, btw, John.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 11:34:49 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

cacLA8383

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 11:46:26 PM »
Yeah, and probably the most cheesiest slogan a cable company can ever come up with. A much better one for Comcast would be this:

Comcast: It Sucks!

(btw I don't live anywhere near a Comcast market but that's what peeps tell me all the time about it anyway.) :-P
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 11:48:43 PM by cacLA8383 »