Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aerial photo of CBS Television City in Hollywood  (Read 10968 times)

Kent Broyhill

Aerial photo of CBS Television City in Hollywood
« on: October 07, 2005, 01:57:15 AM »
I found a GREAT aerial photo of CBS Television City in Hollywood, CA; where TPiR is taped, among other TV shows, via Microsoft Terraserver  http://terraserver.microsoft.com , and thought I'd share it with the group!   Here is a URL to this aerial photo:  

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/printimag...ORMAT=Landscape

Enjoy!  :-D

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 02:13:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Kent Broyhill\' date=\'Oct 6 2005, 10:57 PM\']I found a GREAT aerial photo of CBS Television City in Hollywood, CA; where TPiR is taped, among other TV shows, via Microsoft Terraserver  http://terraserver.microsoft.com , and thought I'd share it with the group!   Here is a URL to this aerial photo: 

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/printimag...ORMAT=Landscape
[snapback]98893[/snapback]
[/quote]
So, those of you who know: where's the line for Price form?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 03:04:52 AM »
It starts there, continues all the way to there, then it wraps around the corner and goes up there.

Barker parks his car in that spot right there.

You can't see where the line forms on Fairfax Avenue at 10 pm on Sunday night.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 03:08:53 AM by chris319 »

Kent Broyhill

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 03:44:07 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 7 2005, 02:04 AM\']
It starts there, continues all the way to there, then it wraps around the corner and goes up there.

[snapback]98895[/snapback]
[/quote]

Could you please be a little more specific?

Timsterino

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 06:25:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Kent Broyhill\' date=\'Oct 7 2005, 03:44 AM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 7 2005, 02:04 AM\']

[snapback]98895[/snapback]
[/quote]

Could you please be a little more specific?
[snapback]98896[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sarcasim dude, it is called saracasim. Oye.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 10:29:27 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 7 2005, 02:13 AM\'][quote name=\'Kent Broyhill\' date=\'Oct 6 2005, 10:57 PM\']I found a GREAT aerial photo of CBS Television City in Hollywood, CA; where TPiR is taped, among other TV shows, via Microsoft Terraserver  http://terraserver.microsoft.com , and thought I'd share it with the group!   Here is a URL to this aerial photo: 

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/printimag...ORMAT=Landscape[/quote]
So, those of you who know: where's the line for Price form?[/quote]
I've only been thre a few times myself, and I can't get my bearings on that overhead shot, but I think it's the far-left part of the shaded area in the upper left
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

cmjb13

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 10:34:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 7 2005, 10:29 AM\']I've only been thre a few times myself, and I can't get my bearings on that overhead shot, but I think it's the far-left part of the shaded area in the upper left
[snapback]98903[/snapback]
[/quote]
That is correct. The "T" shaped object towards the top center is the main entrance.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 10:53:55 AM »
That's a really cool site.  Thanks for the tip.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

tvrandywest

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 12:52:32 PM »
Ahhhh, sweet home away from home   ;-)

The FORMER main entrance walkway with the long red awning that used to connect to Beverly Blvd is the white "T" at the top of the picture. That's North. The Genesee Gate where employees enter is to the East, between the two studio buildings. The studios on the right/East are 36 and 46, the newest. "Game Show Moments Gone Bananas" taped on the "American Idol" set there. For several years until this Labor Day, the Jerry Lewis MDA telethon broadcast from that new studio building.

The audience entrance is at the Northwest corner of the original building. You can see two guard shacks at the far left of the picture to greet those entering from Fairfax Blvd. The Price audience sits on benches in the shaded area along the North side of the building, until the procession ultimately leads the prospective contestants along the West side of the building (one floor below where the Price games and props are stored), and then towards the audience entrance to studio 33, which is near the Southwest corner of that building.

The Artists Entrance (the best place to spot a soap star or producer) is just to the East of where the Price audience's first stop, near where the the bottom of the "T walkway" meets the studio building.

No, I will not disclose the location of Barker's secret parking spot. But I'm sure glad that I never dinged his door during the months I parked next to his Caddie!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 01:03:33 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

cmjb13

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 01:42:48 PM »
So where would the current entrance be?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tvrandywest

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 03:26:31 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Oct 7 2005, 09:42 AM\']So where would the current entrance be?
[snapback]98917[/snapback]
[/quote]
There's no more "walk-in" clientele.  The Avon Lady and Fuller Brush door-to-door salespeople are out of luck! It's been many years since the sidewalk entrance on Beverly Blvd was closed.

Folks with business are cleared at the Genesee gate and then park. Depending on who they are there to see, business guests may enter at the original lobby where the remainder of the red covered walkway meets the building, or the Artists' Entrance, or any of several other entrances used primarily by engineering, facilities and technicians.

Audience members and tourists on foot enter on Fairfax near the guard shacks previously noted. The only other walk-in entrance connects with The Grove / Farmers Market next door, and is only for employees with badges who eat at the restaurants in that complex.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 03:51:34 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Oct 7 2005, 02:26 PM\']Audience members and tourists on foot enter on Fairfax near the guard shacks previously noted.
[snapback]98922[/snapback]
[/quote]
Audience members for the shows that tape in 36 and 46 line up at the Genesee gate (the line extends east down Beverly), then walk through the parking lot to reach 46 or walk due south to the south end of the new building to reach 36.

In the picture, you can also see the trailers offered as prizes on Price, waiting to be taken in and displayed to contestants.

[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Oct 7 2005, 02:26 PM\']The only other walk-in entrance connects with The Grove / Farmers Market next door, and is only for employees with badges who eat at the restaurants in that complex.
[snapback]98922[/snapback]
[/quote]
It's interesting to watch Price audience members who leave the studio, see the gate, walk the opposite direction of everybody else to reach it, then try to figure out why it won't work for them.

--
Scott Robinson

Ian Wallis

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 04:22:10 PM »
The audience entrance is at the Northwest corner of the original building. You can see two guard shacks at the far left of the picture to greet those entering from Fairfax Blvd.

Ah hah...so that helps me place things.  There is what looks to be a stationary camera on top of the building, and it shoots that way.  The reason I know this is because some of the C-band satellite wild feeds coming from Television City in the past few years showed the output of this camera between shows - that is, once the "Hollywood Squares" feed was over, they'd take this camera for about 10 minutes until the next show ("Dr Phil" promos at the time) was ready.  You can see the mountains in the background, and just barely make out where the Hollywood sign is.  Oddly enough, while this feed was being shown, there was usually an LA radio station as the audio portion of the feed.  Usually it was on a classical station but it was switched to more of a pop/R&B station occasionally (unfortunatly I didn't make a note of the call letters).

I wonder why they have that camera there - do you think it's primarily used for security purposes?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2005, 05:28:12 PM »
Randy described how TV City security used to work -- on a good day.

The last time I was there I was cleared, repeat -- CLEARED -- by an employee of Mark Goodson Productions who has worked at TV City for over 25 years. Upon driving on the lot (Fairfax entrance):

1. I was required to surrender my California driver's license;

2. Security was unable to identify or locate the aforementioned 25+ year employee of Mark Goodson Productions;

3. One guard did not know where studio 33 is;

4. The clearance which had been called in by MGP never reached the gates or the Artists' Entrance.

5. It took 55 minutes to get from the Fairfax entrance, through the Artists' Entrance metal detector to 33, which exhausted almost the entire time available for my stay. No sooner did I arrive than I had to leave.

No wonder Janice Pennington won her lawsuit.

I understand the need for heightened security after an armed gunman entered the building a few years ago, but he had an easier time getting in without clearance than I had getting in with clearance.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 06:20:51 PM by chris319 »

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005, 06:49:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Oct 7 2005, 03:22 PM\']There is what looks to be a stationary camera on top of the building, and it shoots that way.
[snapback]98929[/snapback]
[/quote]
The camera that you saw points toward the Genesee gate, not the Fairfax gate. I believe the camera is inside the building, as once I saw the shot while it was raining outside and you could tell that the camera was behind some glass with droplets all over it.

[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Oct 7 2005, 03:22 PM\']I wonder why they have that camera there - do you think it's primarily used for security purposes?
[snapback]98929[/snapback]
[/quote]
What I remember hearing -- and I'm not sure whether I'm getting this completely right -- is that the camera was originally pointed over toward the new studios as the building was being constructed, so Television City workers could watch the progress and also possibly to create a time-lapse video. When the new building was finished, the workers inside the main building liked having the "window" so much that they kept the camera up and just turned it a little toward the Genesee gate.

--
Scott Robinson