Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Name That Tune  (Read 4188 times)

golden-road

Name That Tune
« on: October 10, 2005, 01:16:55 AM »
1. I listened to a clip of the Kennedy theme a few years ago, then listened to a clip of the Lange theme. To me, they sounded the same, the lyrics on the Kennedy theme being the difference. Were they the same, and was the Kennedy "Disco" theme any different?

2. In regards to the Kennedy Golden Medley, I know the top prize was $15,000 in cash and prizes. Was it $7500 Cash, $7500 Prizes?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Name That Tune
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 01:25:12 AM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' date=\'Oct 9 2005, 10:16 PM\']1. I listened to a clip of the Kennedy theme a few years ago, then listened to a clip of the Lange theme. To me, they sounded the same, the lyrics on the Kennedy theme being the difference.
[/quote]
Then you weren't listening very closely, because they aren't the same at all. Similar, yes, the same way that "Tuning Up" and the theme used on the CBS/$100K Pyramid were similar, but not the same.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Adam Nedeff

Name That Tune
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 02:03:32 AM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' date=\'Oct 10 2005, 12:16 AM\']1. I listened to a clip of the Kennedy theme a few years ago, then listened to a clip of the Lange theme. To me, they sounded the same, the lyrics on the Kennedy theme being the difference. Were they the same, and was the Kennedy "Disco" theme any different?
[snapback]99074[/snapback]
[/quote]

The "disco era" theme was actually an atrocious piece that started off with a great-sounding fanfare, then that fanfare repeated a couple of times, then the brass section would do this thing that sounded like they were trying to start a car. Not a good theme at all, and there wasn't really much of it. It only played during the opening and the fee plugs; during the end credits for the disco episodes, the band would play a medley of songs used in that episode.

davemackey

Name That Tune
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 09:00:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Oct 10 2005, 02:03 AM\'][quote name=\'golden-road\' date=\'Oct 10 2005, 12:16 AM\']1. I listened to a clip of the Kennedy theme a few years ago, then listened to a clip of the Lange theme. To me, they sounded the same, the lyrics on the Kennedy theme being the difference. Were they the same, and was the Kennedy "Disco" theme any different?
[snapback]99074[/snapback]
[/quote]

The "disco era" theme was actually an atrocious piece that started off with a great-sounding fanfare, then that fanfare repeated a couple of times, then the brass section would do this thing that sounded like they were trying to start a car. Not a good theme at all, and there wasn't really much of it. It only played during the opening and the fee plugs; during the end credits for the disco episodes, the band would play a medley of songs used in that episode.
[snapback]99078[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes, but that only applied to the second season Stan Worth was the musical director.

First season: after the fee plugs, John Harlan would again introduce Tom Kennedy, both bands and vocalists, and the dancers ("With Stan Worth and the Name That Tune Band! With Monica Burruss! Dan Sawyer and The Sound System! Steve March! Jerri Fiala and Dennon Rawles!") as Fred Seldin blew a long sax solo, then the credits ran.

Second season: the intros were replaced with the song medley over the credits then a brief tag of the theme song. What made this a hard job was that Worth often had to write a brief segue from the theme into his song snippet, which was often in a different key than the theme and involved tricky modulations.

And yes, the two Tommy Oliver-penned NTT themes were different, but you can hear the influence of the former on the latter. (The pilots and test shows, of which there were many, sometimes used a different musical theme and an entirely different intro.) Sort of like when John Fogerty stole from himself.

uncamark

Name That Tune
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 11:43:06 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Oct 10 2005, 08:00 AM\'][quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Oct 10 2005, 02:03 AM\']The "disco era" theme was actually an atrocious piece that started off with a great-sounding fanfare, then that fanfare repeated a couple of times, then the brass section would do this thing that sounded like they were trying to start a car. Not a good theme at all, and there wasn't really much of it. It only played during the opening and the fee plugs; during the end credits for the disco episodes, the band would play a medley of songs used in that episode.
[snapback]99078[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes, but that only applied to the second season Stan Worth was the musical director.

First season: after the fee plugs, John Harlan would again introduce Tom Kennedy, both bands and vocalists, and the dancers ("With Stan Worth and the Name That Tune Band! With Monica Burruss! Dan Sawyer and The Sound System! Steve March! Jerri Fiala and Dennon Rawles!") as Fred Seldin blew a long sax solo, then the credits ran.

Second season: the intros were replaced with the song medley over the credits then a brief tag of the theme song. What made this a hard job was that Worth often had to write a brief segue from the theme into his song snippet, which was often in a different key than the theme and involved tricky modulations.

And yes, the two Tommy Oliver-penned NTT themes were different, but you can hear the influence of the former on the latter. (The pilots and test shows, of which there were many, sometimes used a different musical theme and an entirely different intro.) Sort of like when John Fogerty stole from himself.
[snapback]99080[/snapback]
[/quote]

And then we come to the first 70s season with Bob Alberti as the band leader and a totally different theme--with lyrics in the pilot eps!  ("Everyone/Wants to play/Name That Tune..." and "...Mystery Tune/It's a killer/Bid-a-Note/What a thriller/With your host/Tom Kennedy...")

And of course, the original version had a totally different theme (but you have to go to the MTR to hear that).

Jimmy Owen

Name That Tune
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 01:03:40 PM »
Were the first season Kennedy and Dennis James themes the same?  In our area, the first syndicated season did not air.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

Name That Tune
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 05:32:02 PM »
And then we come to the first 70s season with Bob Alberti as the band leader and a totally different theme--with lyrics in the pilot eps! ("Everyone/Wants to play/Name That Tune..." and "...Mystery Tune/It's a killer/Bid-a-Note/What a thriller/With your host/Tom Kennedy...")

If they were just the pilot episodes, they must have aired in regular rotation.  I remember hearing those lyrics on show closes more than once during the first syndicated season.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

Name That Tune
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 05:33:49 PM »
Were the first season Kennedy and Dennis James themes the same? In our area, the first syndicated season did not air.

Yes.  I remember (from the few daytime eps I saw because of school) that the themes were the same...except that there were no lyrics on the daytime Dennis James version!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

Name That Tune
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 12:59:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Oct 10 2005, 04:33 PM\']
Were the first season Kennedy and Dennis James themes the same? In our area, the first syndicated season did not air.

Yes.  I remember (from the few daytime eps I saw because of school) that the themes were the same...except that there were no lyrics on the daytime Dennis James version!
[snapback]99106[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, the pilot eps (shot at KTLA instead of NBC Burbank) did air as part of the first season.