Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pilot to American Version of Countdown  (Read 4975 times)

rebelwrest

Pilot to American Version of Countdown
« on: October 08, 2005, 11:28:32 PM »
No we are not talking about the show on MSNBC or the pilot for a musical show in the 70s.

Mike Burger Pilots

On the UK Gameshows page for Countdown (which now features pictures from the original Calendar Countdown shown only in the Yorkshire region for ITV) under the trivia  part of the page near the bottom explains that there was a pilot made for the U.S. of Countdown.  I wonder if this pilot still exits, and if so, does anyone have it?

UK Gameshows: Countdown
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 01:13:25 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' date=\'Oct 8 2005, 11:28 PM\'] I wonder if this pilot still exits, and if so, does anyone have it?[/quote]
If it was done in the mid-80s, chances are it was preserved.

And if it exists then yes, someone has it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 01:50:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 9 2005, 12:13 PM\']And if it exists then yes, someone has it.
[/quote]
Nice logic Matt.  I love it.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 04:16:41 PM »
I think that deserves a 21-fap salute.  Join me, won't you?

Anyway, to get this on track: considering that "Wheel of Fortune" is the number one syndicated show in the country, is it any wonder that "Countdown" wouldn't fly?  The show is picking various numbers and letters, thirty seconds of thinkin' time, and then the reveal.  Would our audiences sit through such a thing, even though it's one of the greatest concepts of the TV generation?  For that matter, the scoring is utter simplicity: every letter in the leading word scores a point.  In an era of 50 to 1,000 point questions, would CD have to change that?  Is it even worthwhile to think about how neat it would be to have the show here?
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 04:33:42 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Oct 13 2005, 04:16 PM\']Anyway, to get this on track: considering that "Wheel of Fortune" is the number one syndicated show in the country, is it any wonder that "Countdown" wouldn't fly?  The show is picking various numbers and letters, thirty seconds of thinkin' time, and then the reveal.  Would our audiences sit through such a thing, even though it's one of the greatest concepts of the TV generation?  [/quote]
See, here's what I don't get.  Why do we assume a British audience is inherently more inclined to watch a cerebral show than we are?  No, Countdown would never challenge Wheel or Jeopardy in the ratings.  It might not even do well enough to make it in syndication at all.  I still remain convinced that it -- and any number of similar shows -- could do well enough on a cable channel to justify the minimal costs.  It would probably draw a small audience, but a smart and likely upscale one.  A decent sales team ought to know how to capitalize on something like that.  As I've said MANY times before, not every show on television has to target the same young, stupid audience.

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 04:41:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 13 2005, 03:33 PM\']See, here's what I don't get.  Why do we assume a British audience is inherently more inclined to watch a cerebral show than we are?[/quote]
Not just Britian, but other countries such as Australlia....they've had much success with games such as "Sale of the Century"...in this country...people live for crap like "American Idol" and "Survivor".
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 07:30:57 PM by Modor »
--Mark

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 04:53:02 PM »
I dunno why people keep dumping on Survivor like they do.  If you don't like it, don't watch.  It's not "Nova" or "Antiques Roadshow," and that's OK.  I enjoy it for the games each week, and the utter paranoia that sets in around The Merge.

I'm glad I brought back up the Countdown thing.  My point was that the pilot was done, and dismissed, and that was all that became of it.  There had to be some reason.  

As to the cerebral thing, the reason is that it's true.  100%, Mastermind, Fifteen-to-One...the list goes on.  They dig the quiz shows.  In this country, if you want to see a new one, you get Jeopardy or Millionaire, and Millionaire is only one person against the game, and the "question per hour" ratio isn't as good.  Whenever we get a new decent quiz show, something happens and it goes bad- Greed had game mechanics problem you could drive my car through, and the network wanted to go another way; Weakest Link did too many low-level celebrity editions.  Nothing gets half-a-chance anymore.

Personally, one series of 65 shows rerun three times a year on GSN just wouldn't do it for me.  The game is too good to be treated like that.  Would I be thrilled if the game were done, done right and given the proper treatment?  Hell yes- I'd go out and get a cable box right then, with Tivo in waiting.  But I'm wary because of what has happened to good shows before.

As I've said MANY times before, not every show on television has to target the same young, stupid audience.
I submit "Deal or No Deal."  A game that trumpets the fact that you need no knowledge or skill to play the game.  And "History IQ" gets shunted off to Saturdays at 6 in the morning.  It's just not right.  While not every show HAS to cater to that audience, that's the pattern that seems to form here.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 04:54:08 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Unrealtor

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 05:33:51 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Oct 13 2005, 03:16 PM\']I think that deserves a 21-fap salute.  Join me, won't you?

Anyway, to get this on track: considering that "Wheel of Fortune" is the number one syndicated show in the country, is it any wonder that "Countdown" wouldn't fly?
[snapback]99419[/snapback]
[/quote]

"Wheel" was also a huge success years ago, back when "'Person' does not always mean proper name" was as big a hint to the puzzle as you'd get from the reveal.

I could see "Countdown" being a companion to either Wheel's word game or Jeopardy's braininess, if it was marketed correctly, but I still have a hard time envisioning it becoming the hit either of those are. Actually, it would be a good format for PBS. Intellectual, and, as I recall, gives absolutely nothing but bragging rights to its champions.

Drifting OT a bit, Carol Vorderman was on the local morning news yesterday promoting her new Sudoku book, and, judging from the reaction of the anchor, it seems that "game show hostess" and "engineering degree from Cambridge with honours" are mutually-exclusive things to some people in the US.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 05:43:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' date=\'Oct 13 2005, 04:33 PM\']Intellectual, and, as I recall, gives absolutely nothing but bragging rights to its champions.
[/quote]
I seem to recall, they get a small prize package...something along the lines of a gold pen and some fancy dictionary--certainly no higher in cost than the trip on Carmen Sandiego
--Mark

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 06:32:27 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Oct 13 2005, 04:53 PM\']Nothing gets half-a-chance anymore.[/quote]
Exactly.  But that has more to do with network decisions than it does our viewing habits or interests.  American networks don't want game shows, so we don't get them.

And again, I'm not talking about seeing Countdown or Fifteen-to-One on a network's prime time schedule.  I'm realistic about that.  I just feel that shows like that don't get a fair shake here because people who OUGHT to be willing to take a chance on them -- mostly cable stattions looking for inexpensive counter-programming -- won't do it because there's an assumption Americans won't respond.

Neumms

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 07:31:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 13 2005, 05:32 PM\']I just feel that shows like that don't get a fair shake here because people who OUGHT to be willing to take a chance on them -- mostly cable stattions looking for inexpensive counter-programming -- won't do it because there's an assumption Americans won't respond.
[snapback]99429[/snapback]
[/quote]

It seems like "Countdown" would be one show that would work if they simply ran the British version here, aside from the occasional "colour" rather than "color." It would be a very inexpensive experiment.

And you raise a good point--what happened to COUNTER-programming? Why, if you're up against Judge Judy, would you go out and by a different court show? But they do.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 10:18:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Oct 13 2005, 03:41 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 13 2005, 03:33 PM\']See, here's what I don't get.  Why do we assume a British audience is inherently more inclined to watch a cerebral show than we are?[/quote]
Not just Britian, but other countries such as Australlia....they've had much success with games such as "Sale of the Century"...in this country...people live for crap like "American Idol" and "Survivor".
[snapback]99422[/snapback]
[/quote]
Now, wait a second.  Survivor is purely American, but where, pray tell, did we get American Idol from, Mr. Odor?  *cough*bloody wankers*cough

I do see your point, but I'm convinced that American TV is cyclical.  Quiz shows will come back... hell, I even think they'll eventually be a shift on what demographic is focused on.  But anytime soon?  Nope.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 10:21:07 PM by Brandon Brooks »

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 10:33:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Oct 13 2005, 09:18 PM\']I do see your point, but I'm convinced that American TV is cyclical.  Quiz shows will come back... hell, I even think they'll eventually be a shift on what demographic is focused on.  But anytime soon?  Nope.
[snapback]99472[/snapback]
[/quote]
My thoughts exactly. It may not be immediately, but give it a couple of years...it'll get back to the late-90s/early-00s numbers. I say by 2010, we'll have more shows on. We may never get daytime back, but syndication and cable shows will bounce back, and I think Ken Jennings' show will be the first step, kinda like how "Debt" got things rolling back in '96...

Damn, has it been almost 10 years already?!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Brig Bother

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 07:16:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Oct 14 2005, 02:18 AM\']Now, wait a second.  Survivor is purely American
[/quote]

Apart from the quite important Swedish and British bits.

Those of you who like to ILLEGALLY DOWNLOAD SHOWS, AND DESTROY THE TELEVISION INDUSTRY and have access to UKNova might be interested to know that Countdown returns to British screens with Des Lynam as host on October 31st, I imagine someone will have it up there.

uncamark

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 03:29:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Oct 14 2005, 06:16 AM\'][quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Oct 14 2005, 02:18 AM\']Now, wait a second.  Survivor is purely American
[/quote]

Apart from the quite important Swedish and British bits.
[snapback]99496[/snapback]
[/quote]

Which is what I was going to say--created by Brit Charlie Parsons and first aired in Sweden.  All Burnett did with it is execute the format better than anyone else.

And I will add that Australia may have "Temptation," but they also have "Australian Idol" and the U.S. versions of "Survivor" and "TAR" (something tells me that an Australian version of "Survivor" has at least been considered).  And "The Chair" came from our friends in New Zealand, even if "The Chamber" came from dick clark productions.