Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Executive Producers Question  (Read 7744 times)

zachhoran

Executive Producers Question
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2005, 07:22:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Oct 7 2005, 10:22 PM\']

Heatter & Quigley -- Peter Marshall
Ron Greenberg -- Jim Peck
Jay Wolpert -- Peter Tomarken and Ron Pearson
Wink Martindale -- Wayne Cox
Al Howard -- David Ruprecht

[snapback]98986[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wayne Cox already had Canuck notoriety before Second Honeymoon premiered, no? Ruprecht had already had roles on Three's Company, Real People, and a Gilligan's Island TV Movie, among others, in the pre-Sweep years.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2005, 08:47:53 AM »
Would Bob Barker get the credit for discovering the two hosts of the local KNXT LA game show "Lucky Pair": Geoff Edwards and Richard Dawson?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2005, 08:54:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 8 2005, 07:47 AM\']Would Bob Barker get the credit for discovering the two hosts of the local KNXT LA game show "Lucky Pair": Geoff Edwards and Richard Dawson?
[snapback]99007[/snapback]
[/quote]

Geoff mentioned both on ATGS and on his Radio Tonight show that some ATGSers called into in 2000 that Barker did help him get his start, though his first national exposure was subbing for MOnty on LMAD in 1968 or 1969.  I think Dawson hosted Lucky Pair during his Hogan's Heroes years, no?

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2005, 04:02:29 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Oct 8 2005, 07:54 AM\']Geoff mentioned both on ATGS and on his Radio Tonight show that some ATGSers called into in 2000 that Barker did help him get his start, though his first national exposure was subbing for MOnty on LMAD in 1968 or 1969.
[snapback]99008[/snapback]
[/quote]
And apparently Monty was so impressed that he called upon Geoff again during the mid-80s LMAD.

Two other things:
1. Did Geoff host anything else for Hatos-Hall, not counting his subbing roles?
2. When Geoff subbed on LMAD in the late-60s, was that when Monty got his ribs broken by a LMAD contestant's hug? (it's in the EOTVGS)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

zachhoran

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2005, 07:17:04 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Oct 8 2005, 03:02 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Oct 8 2005, 07:54 AM\']

Geoff's first national exposure was subbing for MOnty on LMAD in 1968 or 1969.

[snapback]99008[/snapback]
[/quote]
And apparently Monty was so impressed that he called upon Geoff again during the mid-80s LMAD.

Did Geoff host anything else for Hatos-Hall, not counting his subbing roles?

[snapback]99021[/snapback]
[/quote]

If Monty was that impressed, he could have had the people that produced the 1990 LMAD call upon Geoff to host it.

Geoff only did the subhost roles for Hatos-Hall, unless he did a pilot for them we haven't mentioned here.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2005, 10:40:40 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Oct 8 2005, 06:17 PM\']If Monty was that impressed, he could have had the people that produced the 1990 LMAD call upon Geoff to host it.
[/quote]
I think Jackpot would have still been in production at the time.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

calliaume

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2005, 10:43:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Oct 8 2005, 09:40 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Oct 8 2005, 06:17 PM\']If Monty was that impressed, he could have had the people that produced the 1990 LMAD call upon Geoff to host it.
[/quote]
[snapback]99043[/snapback]
[/quote]
Nope, the 1989 version had gone belly up before Let's Make a Deal came back.  And even if both were running simultaneously, Geoff could have done them both (since one was on NBC and the other was syndication), allowing for the fact that one was in southern California and the other in Orlando.

Geoff probably would have been a better choice than Bob Hilton, whose voice was recognized by some but not his face.  Geoff would have been better known to the public at large.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2005, 10:51:39 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Oct 8 2005, 09:43 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Oct 8 2005, 09:40 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Oct 8 2005, 06:17 PM\']If Monty was that impressed, he could have had the people that produced the 1990 LMAD call upon Geoff to host it.
[/quote]
[snapback]99043[/snapback]
[/quote]
Nope, the 1989 version had gone belly up before Let's Make a Deal came back.  And even if both were running simultaneously, Geoff could have done them both (since one was on NBC and the other was syndication), allowing for the fact that one was in southern California and the other in Orlando.

Geoff probably would have been a better choice than Bob Hilton, whose voice was recognized by some but not his face.  Geoff would have been better known to the public at large.
[snapback]99044[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think the bigger problem with Geoff hosting that version would have been that he was already commuting to Canada to do Chain Reaction. At that point in his life, Geoff probably wasn't interested in living in hotels...Of course, his current gig is travel writing, so what do I know?

megamanj1986

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2005, 01:26:57 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Oct 6 2005, 07:44 PM\'][quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Oct 6 2005, 08:33 PM\']
Well, Dan Enright was partly (mostly?) to blame for bringing Jim Caldwell AND Patrick Wayne into the fold.........

[snapback]98880[/snapback]
[/quote]

Pat Bullard and possibly Al Dubois can be blamed on Enright, too(Bumper Stumpers was co-produced with Global/Wink Martindale Enterprises). Dubois doesn't seem to be laughed at too much around these parts, however.
[snapback]98883[/snapback]
[/quote]

No, if you're referring to All About the Opposite Sex that also ran w/ Hold Everything!, then you're talking about David Sparks (the same David Sparks, who previously hosted the 1986-87 Crosswits revival).

You're right about getting Pat Bullard into the GS mold. He couldn't host a day in his life to save himself.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 01:36:45 PM by megamanj1986 »

TimK2003

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2005, 09:08:55 PM »
Anybody know who 'Discovered' the other big-name hosts, like the Narz Brothers (Tom Kennedy & his brother Jack), Alex Trebek, etc...?

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2005, 11:10:39 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Oct 11 2005, 08:08 PM\']Anybody know who 'Discovered' the other big-name hosts, like the Narz Brothers (Tom Kennedy & his brother Jack), Alex Trebek, etc...?
[snapback]99221[/snapback]
[/quote]

Somehow, I'd credit Alan Thicke for bringing Trebek into the spotlight. He co-produced [or at least worked on] "Wizard of Odds", did he not?
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

zachhoran

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2005, 07:42:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'Oct 11 2005, 10:10 PM\'][quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Oct 11 2005, 08:08 PM\']Anybody know who 'Discovered' the other big-name hosts, like the Narz Brothers (Tom Kennedy & his brother Jack), Alex Trebek, etc...?
[snapback]99221[/snapback]
[/quote]

Somehow, I'd credit Alan Thicke for bringing Trebek into the spotlight. He co-produced [or at least worked on] "Wizard of Odds", did he not?
[snapback]99229[/snapback]
[/quote]

TV Game $how Magazine did report that Thicke did at least convince NBC to consider Trebek for the host, but wasn't Wizard Burt Sugarman's baby?

WHomever produced Big Game would have given Jim Narz his big break, and whomever produced Life with Elizabeth would have given Jack Narz his big break, no? Wasn't Narz's first national TV role as announcer on Betty White's first TV series?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2005, 08:30:22 AM »
whomever produced Life with Elizabeth would have given Jack Narz his big break, no? Wasn't Narz's first national TV role as announcer on Betty White's first TV series?
Life With Elizabeth was produced by Don Fedderson. My recollection is that LWE started out as a local show on channel 13 (KLAC/KCOP) in Los Angeles and was later syndicated nationally. Narz was either a staff announcer on channel 13, or a D.J. on KLAC radio, or both.

Fedderson's other noteworthy shows include My Three Sons, Family Affair and Who Do You Trust?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2005, 11:34:46 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 12 2005, 07:30 AM\']Fedderson's other noteworthy shows include My Three Sons, Family Affair and Who Do You Trust?
[snapback]99246[/snapback]
[/quote]
Fedderson's production company also syndicated the Welk show after ABC ceremoniously dumped it (call it payback--IIRC, Welk's orchestra did the M3S and FA themes).

Oh, the nuggets you get on an Internet message board. . .

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2005, 11:54:43 AM »
Thicke may've brought Trebek to Sugarman and Lin Bolen's attention, but it seems to me that there was at least another Canadian on board as a producer who could've brought Trebek up as well.

And in the end, I have the feeling that Bolen called the final shots on whoever was going to be hired to host at NBC back then.