Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Unaired shows  (Read 13351 times)

trainman

Unaired shows
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 07:29:42 PM »
Also locked in the Vault of Unaired Television:  the handful of episodes of ABC's "Deal or No Deal" that were produced.  (One of those episodes belongs to the small, exclusive club of shows that I closed-captioned that never aired, along with two episodes of "Clerks: The Animated Series" and the NBC 40th anniversary rerun of "Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol.")
trainman is a man of trains

Ian Wallis

Unaired shows
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2005, 05:52:47 PM »
The show actually aired on USA for fewer weeks than it did on NBC daytime...so I don't know if it's possible that USA ran unaired episodes.

When USA picked up the show, they started with the initial episode of the second bonus round, which was around Oct 1993.   They went through to the end of the run and then aired a few weeks from the beginning before taking it off.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

Unaired shows
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2005, 06:20:52 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Oct 15 2005, 06:29 PM\']Also locked in the Vault of Unaired Television:  the handful of episodes of ABC's "Deal or No Deal" that were produced.  (One of those episodes belongs to the small, exclusive club of shows that I closed-captioned that never aired, along with two episodes of "Clerks: The Animated Series" and the NBC 40th anniversary rerun of "Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol.")
[snapback]99596[/snapback]
[/quote]

Didn't the unaired "Clerks" eps run on Comedy Central?

(And if NBC didn't run "Mr. Magoo," hasn't CN or Boomerang aired it in recent years during the holidays--but did someone else do the captioning, if any, for those airings?  I know Boomerang either currently or recently ran the made-for-TV "Magoo" shorts, with Charlie redubbed with an Asian voice-over and no bad grammar.)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Unaired shows
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005, 07:43:27 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 17 2005, 05:20 PM\'](I know Boomerang either currently or recently ran the made-for-TV "Magoo" shorts, with Charlie redubbed with an Asian voice-over and no bad grammar.)
[snapback]99766[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't have Boomerang (boo-hiss), but by "made-for-TV" are you referring to the DFE-produced series from 1977?  Or are we going back further than that?

USA had run the 1977 series during their old CARTOON EXPRESS days, but until a few months ago it was available using the On Demand feature of my digital cable (shame I never saw fit to get those eps on tape).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

Unaired shows
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2005, 04:56:44 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 17 2005, 06:43 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 17 2005, 05:20 PM\'](I know Boomerang either currently or recently ran the made-for-TV "Magoo" shorts, with Charlie redubbed with an Asian voice-over and no bad grammar.)
[/quote]
I don't have Boomerang (boo-hiss), but by "made-for-TV" are you referring to the DFE-produced series from 1977?  Or are we going back further than that?

[snapback]99777[/snapback]
[/quote]

We're going back to the early 60s--the ones with "ROAD HOG!" in the titles and "Oh, Magoo--you've done it again!" in the end titles.  I believe they were made a year or two before the "Dick Tracy" series (with its own political incorrectness problem in Go Go Gomez and the Chinese detective whose name I've forgotten).

AFAIK, the theatrical Magoos have only been shown on TV on Nickelodeon on either "Weinerville" or "Cartoon Kerblooey" (the title originally given by Nick to the last batch of Paramount shorts made in the 60s, but later expanded to the UPA theatrical shorts).

ChuckNet

Unaired shows
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2005, 08:47:09 PM »
Over the years, the networks have prepared a large number of shows for primetime which never actually aired. Sometimes shows will get cancelled early and still have episodes in the can (some of those have now ended up on DVD). Other times series might be cancelled even before their premiere (anyone remember NBC's ads for the 1976 David Brenner comedy "Snip"?)

Or how about the never-aired 1979 CBS sitcom Mr. Dugan, which was to have starred Cleavon Little? (Supposed to have been about a black football player-turned-politician, it was pulled due to PC concerns after recieving negative reviews from real-life black politicians).

ObGameShow: Mr. Dugan finally aired later in 79, but as a reworked series titled Hanging In that starred Bill Macy, who appeared on MG '75 and TT.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

trainman

Unaired shows
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2005, 11:18:08 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 17 2005, 03:20 PM\']Didn't the unaired "Clerks" eps run on Comedy Central?[/quote]

You may be right -- I'm not sure if they would have had the original ABC captioning or not.  Usually, when something gets rerun, it's edited in some way, so the syndication distributor and/or the new network will usually come back and have us "reformat" the captions, which is almost always cheaper and easier than having someone else do captioning from scratch.  I don't remember us reformatting "Clerks" for Comedy Central, so either they aired the shows in exactly the same way they aired on ABC, or they had someone else caption them (or they aired without captions).

GSN's "WWTBAM" and "Jeopardy!" reruns are good on-topic examples of reformats my former employer did do, on behalf of GSN, even though we weren't GSN's usual captioning provider.

And if NBC didn't run "Mr. Magoo," hasn't CN or Boomerang aired it in recent years during the holidays--but did someone else do the captioning, if any, for those airings?

Yes, Cartoon Network aired it, and I think the same year NBC was going to air it.  (I'd captioned it in September or thereabouts.)  I watched to see if it was edited the same way as NBC's version -- it was, which was a little odd, because CN tends to have less commercial time than NBC.  It did not have the captions I had done when it aired on CN.
trainman is a man of trains

Tim L

Unaired shows
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2005, 11:21:12 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 18 2005, 04:56 PM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 17 2005, 06:43 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 17 2005, 05:20 PM\'](I know Boomerang either currently or recently ran the made-for-TV "Magoo" shorts, with Charlie redubbed with an Asian voice-over and no bad grammar.)
[/quote]

[snapback]99777[/snapback]
[/quote]

We're going back to the early 60s--the ones with "ROAD HOG!" in the titles and "Oh, Magoo--you've done it again!" in the end titles.  I believe they were made a year or two before the "Dick Tracy" series (with its own political incorrectness problem in Go Go Gomez and the Chinese detective whose name I've forgotten).

The Chinese Detective would be Joe Jitsu. Interestingly enough, Dick Tracy appeared in an installment of Famous Adventures  of Mr. Magoo in 1964-65 on NBC Other Detectives in the Tracy series included Andy Devine soundalike Heap O Calorie and Cary Grant soundalike Hemlock Holmes with his "help" the Retouchables..reminiscient of the Keystone Kops. While I watched Tracy and the Made for TV Magoos on KYW Cleveland as a kid, The only reason I can recall some of the detectives is that Time Warner's In Demand is showing Dick Tracy shorts now as well as the 1977 Magoo series, Mighty Hercules and Wizard of Oz Cartoons from the early 1960's.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 11:46:44 PM by Tim L »

The Ol' Guy

Unaired shows
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2005, 11:34:19 PM »
Actually, the Oriental detective in the cartoon series was Joe Jitsu. There was also the Mexican master of disguise, Go Go Gomez. I remember the show from it's days of being a half-hour syndicated package in our area. Paramount Home Video released a couple of tapes of cartoons from the series.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 11:36:28 PM by The Ol' Guy »

calliaume

Unaired shows
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2005, 11:40:24 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Oct 18 2005, 07:47 PM\']Or how about the never-aired 1979 CBS sitcom Mr. Dugan, which was to have starred Cleavon Little? (Supposed to have been about a black football player-turned-politician, it was pulled due to PC concerns after recieving negative reviews from real-life black politicians).

ObGameShow: Mr. Dugan finally aired later in 79, but as a reworked series titled Hanging In that starred Bill Macy, who appeared on MG '75 and TT.
[snapback]99858[/snapback]
[/quote]
And that was the third time the fish-out-of-water setup was used -- the original plan was to use that as a stepping stone for Bea Arthur to continue Maude as a newly-appointed congresswoman, with the same supporting cast used for Mr. Dugan and Hanging In.  Fortunately, Arthur decided to call it quits instead.

You never see Maude in reruns anymore, and certainly never the episode where Maude gets an abortion - it never reran once.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 11:42:09 PM by calliaume »

Tim L

Unaired shows
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2005, 11:49:25 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Oct 18 2005, 11:34 PM\']Actually, the Oriental detective in the cartoon series was Joe Jitsu. There was also the Mexican master of disguise, Go Go Gomez. I remember the show from it's days of being a half-hour syndicated package in our area. Paramount Home Video released a couple of tapes of cartoons from the series.
[snapback]99880[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks for the Correction.Tracy was in that same syndicated package on KYW-TV 3 as part of "Barnaby " (Kid show host played by Linn Sheldon)

cmjb13

Unaired shows
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2005, 06:58:52 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Oct 18 2005, 11:40 PM\']You never see Maude in reruns anymore, and certainly never the episode where Maude gets an abortion - it never reran once.
[snapback]99882[/snapback]
[/quote]
For those who have Comcast On Demand, there's a section called Tube Time which does have about 5 episodes of Maude.

But point taken about not being in reruns.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Ian Wallis

Unaired shows
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2005, 09:11:51 AM »
You never see Maude in reruns anymore, and certainly never the episode where Maude gets an abortion - it never reran once.

It was on TVLand about three years ago.  Does anybody know if the abortion episode aired then?  I thought that it did on their weekend marathon that they used to introduce the series - but I could be wrong.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Unaired shows
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2005, 10:31:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' date=\'Oct 18 2005, 10:21 PM\']The only reason I can recall some of the detectives is that Time Warner's In Demand is showing Dick Tracy shorts now as well as the 1977 Magoo series, Mighty Hercules and Wizard of Oz Cartoons from the early 1960's.
[snapback]99877[/snapback]
[/quote]
Lucky--those shorts were dropped from my "On Demand" package (dang those Comcastics).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Steve Gavazzi

Unaired shows
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2005, 06:50:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Oct 19 2005, 09:11 AM\']

It was on TVLand about three years ago.  Does anybody know if the abortion episode aired then?  I thought that it did on their weekend marathon that they used to introduce the series - but I could be wrong.
[snapback]99897[/snapback]
[/quote]

It certainly did.  That's the only way I'd even know about it.

I want to say they had it six years ago, though...although maybe they still had it three years ago.  At any rate, yes, they aired that episode.