Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WHEEL! OF! FORTUNE!  (Read 5716 times)

Robert Hutchinson

WHEEL! OF! FORTUNE!
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2005, 10:03:26 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 16 2005, 04:46 PM\']Or any combination of three wrong guesses and Bankrupt or Lose A Turn spaces. With any of those, the state of the board does not change, so if three happen, as you said, they could chop that sequence out and nobody would be the wiser, since we don't see the Used Letter Screen and therefore have no idea what's been knocked off.[/quote]

The difference here is between "doesn't affect play", "doesn't affect play noticeably", and "affects play but they cut it anyway". Taking out three Lose a Turns in a row is the first. Taking out three missed letters is the second. Taking out three Bankrupts, except that a good letter was called in between them, and two of the players had money showing--that would be the third, and that's the type those of us still hanging in with Wheel have been noticing more and more.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
WHEEL! OF! FORTUNE!
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2005, 10:23:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Oct 16 2005, 07:03 PM\']Taking out three Bankrupts, except that a good letter was called in between them, and two of the players had money showing--that would be the third, and that's the type those of us still hanging in with Wheel have been noticing more and more.
[snapback]99707[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh, sure, I'm not saying they're not completely screwing up. Far from it. But HTHYBT was asking for situations where it might happen aside from extending the final spin, so I offered up a couple.

Very clearly they are either not noticing or not caring about the continuity errors that are happening on the show today.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whewfan

WHEEL! OF! FORTUNE!
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2005, 06:42:55 AM »
Let's just hope we'll never see that happening on J!
Can you imagine answers where none of the contestants ring in being edited out? I think that would be very noticable, especially if there were a series of answers being answered wrong. (It would look much like the poor edits done on LMAD when it was on Family Channel)

zachhoran

WHEEL! OF! FORTUNE!
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005, 07:15:22 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Oct 17 2005, 05:42 AM\']Let's just hope we'll never see that happening on J!
Can you imagine answers where none of the contestants ring in being edited out? I think that would be very noticable

[snapback]99733[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't give Sony any ideas or this will start happening on J!. TPIR, however, could get away with editing out IUFB overbids and SCSD booed spins when the show runs long, but AFAIK they've never done that.

Tony

WHEEL! OF! FORTUNE!
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2005, 04:45:32 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Oct 17 2005, 05:42 AM\']Let's just hope we'll never see that happening on J!
Can you imagine answers where none of the contestants ring in being edited out? I think that would be very noticable, especially if there were a series of answers being answered wrong. (It would look much like the poor edits done on LMAD when it was on Family Channel)
[/quote]
One would think that such a thing would reduce the play-along value for the viewers, therefore I doubt that such cuts would ever happen.

(Of course, if such cuts do happen, then it will just prove to me that the current English-speaking television industry in the United States has no idea how to produce a well-made game show anymore; it seems to me that Jeopardy! is the lone high-quality holdout.)

uncamark

WHEEL! OF! FORTUNE!
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2005, 06:04:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Tony\' date=\'Oct 17 2005, 03:45 PM\'][quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Oct 17 2005, 05:42 AM\']Let's just hope we'll never see that happening on J!
[/quote]
One would think that such a thing would reduce the play-along value for the viewers, therefore I doubt that such cuts would ever happen.

[snapback]99758[/snapback]
[/quote]

And people would notice it.  Friedman knows that a lot of the hardcore "J!" audience would catch these sort of things that the "Wheel" audience might not catch, and wouldn't think of doing it.  If you're not going to show clues, viewers will at least accept the round running out of time, but not clues magically disappearing from the board.  Besides, the show is pretty much down to the bone in structure as it is and any attempts to jazz it up beyond the Clue Crew (like "Wheel") would probably not be treated well.

Steve Gavazzi

WHEEL! OF! FORTUNE!
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2005, 06:42:29 PM »
Actually, I do remember a weird edit on J! two or three years ago.  Alex read a clue during DJ!, and immediately afterward, the "time's up" sound played, and he gave the question.  Even my dad noticed it.  I'm still puzzled as to why they did it.

Unrealtor

WHEEL! OF! FORTUNE!
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2005, 08:09:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Oct 17 2005, 05:42 PM\']Actually, I do remember a weird edit on J! two or three years ago.  Alex read a clue during DJ!, and immediately afterward, the "time's up" sound played, and he gave the question.  Even my dad noticed it.  I'm still puzzled as to why they did it.
[snapback]99769[/snapback]
[/quote]

I can think of a couple scenarious for this that aren't quite as egregious as Wheel's editing. Possibly the correct response was revealed inadvertantly and they decided to throw out the question/answer.

They also could have run long and somebody was a little overzealous in cutting that down. Clues where nobody rings in are the first place I'd cut; they don't do anything to the outcome and are not that interesting to watch. I've noticed that, sometimes, the period between the end of question and time's-up signal tends to vary a bit. Perhaps someone who's been on can explain whether that's editing or based on the time it takes to open the lockout device.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Robert Hutchinson

WHEEL! OF! FORTUNE!
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2005, 10:21:08 PM »
I saw an "end of round signal after clue has been read" moment on a rerun from the '80s a while back, and Alex seemed to realize that it was a weird occurrence. He said something like "Um, oops, I guess we're out of time, then?"
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin