Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Howie Mandel -- a game show host?  (Read 9774 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Howie Mandel -- a game show host?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 04:40:15 PM »
[quote name=\'megamanj1986\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 01:39 PM\']Hmmmmmm. I did grow on Bobby's World
[/quote]
Right there, on stage.  Who fed you at nights?
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\']The production values will be huge, and the show will feature at least one model familiar to us uber-fans from her previous game show stint.[/quote]
Icey? *pants*
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 04:41:02 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

davemackey

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2005, 04:55:23 PM »
The one aspect of Howie Mandel's hosting career I remember was one time in the late 1980's when he filled in for Joan Rivers on her Fox show (if you remember that, congratulations, you're old). He absolutely bamboozled Dr. Joyce Brothers (one of his guests), tried to get her to flash her breasts, then came back from a commercial break totally naked behind the desk.

Hopefully Howie's reined it in - and gotten dressed - since.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 04:55:37 PM by davemackey »

MCArroyo1

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2005, 05:10:46 PM »
I'm reminded of a Howie Mandel moment on Hollywood Squares a few years ago.  Made me cringe.
---
Tom: In the classic film "It's a Wonderful Life," what did Jimmy Stewart say he would pull down for Donna Reed?

[audience laughs for a few moments, then it dies down]

Howie: His pants.
---
I mean, he may not have written that himself, but if he did, he may still have comedy/timing issues.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 05:12:53 PM by MCArroyo1 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2005, 05:22:43 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 01:55 PM\']The one aspect of Howie Mandel's hosting career I remember was one time in the late 1980's when he filled in for Joan Rivers on her Fox show (if you remember that, congratulations, you're old).
[snapback]100884[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thank you for that, I remember me and my mom watching the very first night. :)

One of my favorite Howie moments was one of his guest shots on Arsenio Hall's show. He was always gold there, he'd come out and do five or ten minutes where he would just go off. So during one of these, Arsenio says "Wait, I want to try something", and walks off the stage. Just takes off. And, of course, Howie milks the hell out of it. "I'm gonna wake up and say "Honey, I had the strangest dream! I was on The Arsenio Hall Show...and he WASN'T!""

I question whether he will be good on DoND, because I dunno if his "going off" is a good fit for a show that otherwise has...well, no show, but I'll certainly watch to see and I'll happily eat my words if he proves me wrong.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 05:23:20 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2005, 07:38:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 05:19 AM\']http://tv.yahoo.com/news/va/20051031/113075142200.html

Discuss.
[snapback]100826[/snapback]
[/quote]

Compared to a person who is related to two US Presidents and a Governor, I think Howie will be a good choice.  However, given this is NBC I hope the Peacock Network will allow this show to grow some roots in the soil for a while as, with the exception of Weakest Link, NBC hasn't taken too kindly to Game Shows in the last umpteen years.

But then again, now that ABC and the CSI,...er, CBS Television Network are putting Fox and NBC to shame so far this season in ratings, (although FOX will gain some ground midseason with 24 & Idol) I think NBC will give DoND a better chance to find their audience now than in the days when Frasier & Friends were still on the sched.

My guess is that DoND will be airing on NBC by January, if not sooner.

BTW, Howie is currently doing radio spots for the Boston Pizza chain in Canada.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2005, 10:50:35 PM »
[quote name=\'MCArroyo1\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 05:10 PM\']Tom: In the classic film "It's a Wonderful Life," what did Jimmy Stewart say he would pull down for Donna Reed?

[audience laughs for a few moments, then it dies down]

Howie: His pants.
[snapback]100885[/snapback]
[/quote]
Are pauses like that why those annoying drive-time radio hosts always say "wait for it, wait for it" before delivering a punch line?

NOTE: No offense to any drive-time radio hosts on this board.

ObGS: Two former Boss Jocks were also game show announcers.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 04:48:46 PM by GS Warehouse »

DrJWJustice

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2005, 11:44:58 PM »
What's going to be interesting is seeing whether America warms up to this.  Sure, it's got tension created by the large prizes available and the risks involved, but the show is definitely more glitz 'n' glamour than it is game.  I don't think it matters who hosts it, to be perfectly honest.  Dick Clark couldn't keep Winning Lines afloat through all the shows it taped, and that was through no fault of his own.  We'll see.  Put 'Deal' on the air, and let's see what happens.

*edit*
Randy, glad to see you're on the show, and I'm looking forward to seeing the mystery hostess returning to TV!  Despite my leeriness above, I hope you have a great run with this.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 11:46:46 PM by DrJWJustice »

Don Howard

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2005, 02:22:29 AM »
How soon do you suppose it'll be before the special celebrity editions will begin to air?

uncamark

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2005, 11:50:30 AM »
If this is any indication, the UK premiere of the format yesterday on Channel 4, with veteran "presenter" Noel Edmonds hosting, held on to most of the audience from the season premiere of "Countdown," the first with new host Des Lynam and took most of its time period (although an episode of "Flog It!" on BBC2 did--ahem--beat it in its first 15 minutes).  Of course, much of this was the curiosity factor from Edmonds' return to television after five years and Lynam replacing the beloved Richard Whiteley after his untimely death.  It's going to take a while to see if the show gels--and "teatime" in the UK (4:15 p.m. for "Deal," after "Countdown" at 3:30 p.m.) and prime time in the U.S. are two different things.

BTW, "TWL" is still pulling in the numbers at 5:15 p.m. on BBC2, with only the venerable Aussie soap "Neighbours" on BBC1 doing better.  "TWL"'s handily beating its talk show competition of Paul "Lily Savage" O'Grady on ITV and Richard and Judy on Channel 4.

aaron sica

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2005, 01:59:17 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 08:46 AM\']Bobby's World was definitely early-90s.
[snapback]100837[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sure was...It was 1990 when it premiered, and IIRC, one of the first cartoons on Fox's Saturday Morning offerings.

NickS

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2005, 07:43:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 12:11 PM\']For the record, he doesn't do this signature bit anymore.  Turns out he perforated his sinus cavity.  He's actually got a funny bit about a doctor, unfamiliar with his act, who wondered what could be putting so much pressure on his sinus.

Howie also becomes the second game show host who's made a big deal about his OCD.
[/quote]

My same sentiments, Matt; the question is not if he'll be doing his old shtick, it's whether or not he'll be wearing the latex gloves on his hands, instead.

BTW, still no updates other than the press release that I received today that everyone else is discussing.  You would think that it would warrant their own show materials page, like the one for Sunday Night Football, but then again, I'm biased.  

What gets me most, though, is that this is called an "alternative" series -- like we need to call a janitor a "building engineer."  Puh.  Leeze.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 10:08:39 AM by Matt Ottinger »

Fedya

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2005, 12:02:42 AM »
Randy West wrote:
Before somebody posts it, I know, Howie is not Groucho. But Groucho would likely go over like a lead balloon with today's 18-49 viewers.
I should hope so; not many 115-year-old guys would go over well with today's youth-obsessed audiences.  ;-)

(I'll be damned if I know how Bob Barker does it, and he's young enough to be Groucho's son....)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2005, 03:32:49 AM »
But Groucho would likely go over like a lead balloon with today's 18-49 viewers.
Then how do you explain Bob Barker?

Almost all of Groucho's repartee on YBYL was scripted. Groucho would do just fine today given decent material.

today's youth-obsessed audiences
Youth-obsessed audiences??? You mean youth-obsessed advertisers.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 03:38:27 AM by chris319 »

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2005, 09:58:39 AM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 11:44 PM\']*edit*
Randy, glad to see you're on the show, and I'm looking forward to seeing the mystery hostess returning to TV!  Despite my leeriness above, I hope you have a great run with this.
[snapback]100937[/snapback]
[/quote]

It's nice to hear a game show pro is working on it...

and I'm guessing Laura Chambers is the show's contestant coordinator, right? ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 09:58:57 AM by pianogeek »
-Sanford