Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows where you face the previous day's champ  (Read 3090 times)

gsnstooge

Shows where you face the previous day's champ
« on: October 23, 2005, 08:48:31 AM »
On the following shows: Hit Man, NYSI (both versions), and Face The Music, what happened on their premire episodes when there was no returning champ?  To help you understand what I am talking about, on the MG-HS premire episode, Jon Bauman said: "Since this is our first episode, we don't actually have a returning champ so before the show, we drew lots." Is that what happened on the other shows?

$100kPyramidfan

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 11:27:56 AM »
When the Narz version of NYSI began, the same thing happened. They drew by lot.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 11:33:31 AM by $100kPyramidfan »
"Does anybody in the audience want an empty armadillo?" - Garry Moore

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 11:35:19 AM »
I think in the case of Face the Music, they played a preliminary game before taping, and that winner was the day's "champion". I'm guessing S&P would have to observe all this?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Casey

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 11:53:05 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Oct 23 2005, 10:35 AM\']I think in the case of Face the Music, they played a preliminary game before taping, and that winner was the day's "champion". I'm guessing S&P would have to observe all this?
[snapback]100192[/snapback]
[/quote]
You can see evidence of this from the early episodes of FtM.  The intro, with the flipping in of the set, was from the pilot.  You can see 4 contestants instead of 3.  

Also, later in the run, they retired a champ and the next show, Ron announced "earlier today we played a game of Face the Music and this person emerged as champion."  One question I had was - why not just show the intervening game?

jmangin

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 12:09:46 PM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' date=\'Oct 23 2005, 11:53 AM\']One question I had was - why not just show the intervening game?
[snapback]100193[/snapback]
[/quote]

It probably wasn't a complete game and would not have filled the time slot.  I doubt they would play the Championship Round and give away additional $$.

sshuffield70

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 01:51:02 PM »
Somehow "Scrabble" had a standing champ on opening day.  ISTR, when they started fresh, players drew lots, and one emerged as a champion.  When that player lost, they played the next crossword game.