Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TTTT 80  (Read 7168 times)

BrandonFG

TTTT 80
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 06:16:43 PM »
After years of waiting, I finally got to check this show out. Not too bad, but I still enjoy the 1990 run better. Slicker, better polished, and much smoother.

Still a helluva lot better than the 2000 version.

Anyways, this show had some faults.
1. The set was too cramped. If a set looks small on TV, then it must've been about the size of my bedroom.

2. The lighting was horrible. I don't know what it was, but I noticed during the first panel (star animal experts), the screen went from dark to light when the camera panned across the three imposters. Maybe it was just the camera filters.

3. The pacing was a little awkward.

4. They overused the outro graphic (the shot of the set flipping backward, then the TTTT logo zooming to the center on a black background). Still pretty nifty for 1980.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

musicman

TTTT 80
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 06:24:21 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Oct 28 2005, 10:23 AM\']BTW, I hope his shoulder is feeling better (he dislocated it as Dave mentioned on the Late Show I believe last week).
[snapback]100660[/snapback]
[/quote]

Did the Late Show bear maul him?

calliaume

TTTT 80
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2005, 09:57:51 PM »
I may be in the minority, but the real reason the 1980 version might have failed was that the previous version went off the air just two years before -- and in some markets, probably less than that.  Way too quick to bring the show back with too many different personalities than before.

Aside from that, I had few complaints (although I didn't see the show being discussed here, I have others on tape).  Ward's not great, but he's palatable, I love the theme (of course, I'm a child of the seventies), and the set doesn't bother me.

To me, unless the game structure was radically altered -- and even in 2000, Fremantle had the good sense to leave well enough alone -- there's really no bad version of this show.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
TTTT 80
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2005, 09:58:02 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Oct 28 2005, 03:58 PM\']This one is from earlier in the run and let me say, it looks like hell. By the time the King ep. came around, the set was tidied up, the camerawork/directing improved, and Ward himself wasn't as robotic.
[snapback]100700[/snapback]
[/quote]

Lloyd Gross had done a lot of directing for TTTT during the Moore/Garagiola era, so he was familiar with the house style (I'm assuming he took over because Paul Alter went west--I can't recall offhand if Alter did anything in L.A. before FF, though).  And a move from 8H (SNL) to 6A (now Conan, formerly Dave [was Snyder working 6A then?]) prolly helped tidy things up set-wise and camerawise.  Ward was bound to marginally improve. :)

[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Oct 28 2005, 03:58 PM\']And it bears mentioning again that this incarnation of One on One is just stupid.
[snapback]100700[/snapback]
[/quote]

No argument from me.  The TTTT9x vision worked much, much better.

Doug -- and the countdown to 1600 begins
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 09:59:21 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Adam Nedeff

TTTT 80
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2005, 02:41:24 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 28 2005, 08:58 PM\']And a move from 8H (SNL) to 6A (now Conan, formerly Dave [was Snyder working 6A then?]) prolly helped tidy things up set-wise and camerawise. 
[snapback]100717[/snapback]
[/quote]

Tom Snyder was still there. The move to 6A probably happened very shortly after Dave's daytime show ended, and of course, he moved right back there in February 1982 (or January, if you count the unaired practice shows).

Wacky fact: Dave's 2/1/82 premiere included a tour of Studio 6A; one of the highlights pointed out by Dave was a sign posted above a snack table reading "REFERESHMENTS ARE FOR TO TELL THE TRUTH PERSONNEL ONLY" which nobody had bothered taking down. Dave apparently got a kick out of it...I have an episode from early 1987 where he wanders backstage during a skit and the sign is still there.

gsnstooge

TTTT 80
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2005, 08:28:56 AM »
Then you obviously haven't watched '86 Newlywed Game, which is the only one airing on GSN currently.

I have seen '86 NG 100 times.

BrandonFG

TTTT 80
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2005, 11:22:10 AM »
Edited to properly quote WhammyPower's statement.
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Oct 29 2005, 07:28 AM\'][quote name=\'WhammyPower\']Then you obviously haven't watched '86 Newlywed Game, which is the only one airing on GSN currently.[/quote]

I have seen '86 NG 100 times.
[snapback]100726[/snapback]
[/quote]
Holds the WHOOOOOOSH! card just in case.

I think the point went over your head a bit. NG86 (among other shows--including Face the Music), also had the screen zoom/flip back when going to commercial, so using that graphic on TTTT80 was nothing special, at least when we've seen several other shows do that graphic, and it's 25 years later.

But I'm on your side too; as overused as it was, I still liked the graphic, esp. the TTTT logo zooming forward. The one nice touch that kept it from being so typical. I just wouldn't have used it for EVERY SINGLE COMMERCIAL OUTRO. :-P

As for the show, I'm still kinda surprised that Rosa wasn't a household name by 1980, considering so much had happened since the bus boycott (assassinations of Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, riots, etc.). Then again, this was about 6 years before MLK got a holiday...

Then again II, the show had Thom McKee *right after* his TTD tenure.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

FOXSportsFan

TTTT 80
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2005, 11:41:28 AM »
I'm more surprised they never really had a brief interview with her as they did with the person from the first team of challengers.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
TTTT 80
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2005, 12:18:22 PM »
I'm more surprised they never really had a brief interview with her as they did with the person from the first team of challengers.

Dunno if it was exactly his decision, but when Robin said there was little he could say or what not, I was inclined to agree. In the time frame they had, nothing worthy could've been asked of her.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
TTTT 80
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2005, 12:48:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Oct 29 2005, 01:41 AM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 28 2005, 08:58 PM\']And a move from 8H (SNL) to 6A (now Conan, formerly Dave [was Snyder working 6A then?]) prolly helped tidy things up set-wise and camerawise. 
[/quote]

Tom Snyder was still there. The move to 6A probably happened very shortly after Dave's daytime show ended, and of course, he moved right back there in February 1982 (or January, if you count the unaired practice shows).
[snapback]100723[/snapback]
[/quote]
By "the move to 6A," are you talking about TTTT going to 6A, or Tom going to 6A once Dave's daytime show ended?  

Consider this, though--even if TTTT started in 8H, unless they taped on Sundays or confined all of their tapings to when SNL was not in production, they most likely wouldn't have been able to stay there anyway.  Dave being in 6A for his daytime show probably didn't have much effect on weekend availability for TTTT to use the studio. Although, now that I think about it, wasn't 6A used for sports studio wraps from time to time--or was that later (I know it's not now)?

So was Snyder sent all over 30 Rock to do TOMORROW?

Doug -- and the countdown to 1600 continues
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 05:24:23 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

The Pyramids

TTTT 80
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2005, 05:06:29 PM »
I was going to use the word artificial to describe Ward but robotic will due. To me he seemed to be doing a Peter Marshall imitation.

I don't care about GSN compressed credits much but I would have like to have heard Alan Caulter at the end.

calliaume

TTTT 80
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2005, 07:33:47 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 29 2005, 11:48 AM\'][quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Oct 29 2005, 01:41 AM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 28 2005, 08:58 PM\']And a move from 8H (SNL) to 6A (now Conan, formerly Dave [was Snyder working 6A then?]) prolly helped tidy things up set-wise and camerawise. 
[/quote]
[snapback]100723[/snapback]
[/quote]
Consider this, though--even if TTTT started in 8H, unless they taped on Sundays or confined all of their tapings to when SNL was not in production, they most likely wouldn't have been able to stay there anyway.  Dave being in 6A for his daytime show probably didn't have much effect on weekend availability for TTTT to use the studio.
[snapback]100732[/snapback]
[/quote]
Dave's show ended October 24; SNL's first show of that season wasn't until November 15 (the Jean Doumanian debacle).  If TTTT '80 moved around that time, it made complete sense.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 07:34:21 PM by calliaume »

uncamark

TTTT 80
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2005, 04:51:24 PM »
And of course, the fact that Kalter announced the studio numbers at the top of the show was partially thanks to diehard New Yorker Gil Fates wanting everyone to know that "TTTT" was coming from New York City, not from those dummies in LA.

With all due respect to said dummies.

(In other words, the city was the crucial reason there, not the NBC studio they were in.)