Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TTTT 80  (Read 7171 times)

Terry K

TTTT 80
« on: October 28, 2005, 10:09:29 AM »
Watching this TTTT '80 ep, I see a few things that probably caused it to tank miserably...here are a few of them:

1.  The faster pace of the show.  Robin Ward seems to be speeding up the pace beyond belief.  (Doubtful that's a GSN speedup, it just seems like he was auditioning to be an auctioneer)  His speed reading of the statements and the reveal

2.  Ward himself.  He seems out of place with this panel.  From what i've read of TTTT '80, they reverted to a more 'classic' panel later in the run of the show, and this appears to be one of those episodes.  

3.  One on One.  The One On One format was confusing at best.  The format of the 1991 OnO segment seems to work a lot better.  Its greatly simplified and much easier to follow.

Now for the good points:

1.  Alan Kalter (Letterman's announcer).  Its appearant how he got the Letterman gig.  He does this well and has the right vocal tones for it.

2.  The panel.  TTTT should never go wrong as long as you have Kitty Carlisle.  She always adds something to the panel.  Betty White is about the only substitute for Kitty you can get who is even close in the type of female panelist.  

3.  The basic TTTT format wasn't messed with.

MCArroyo1

TTTT 80
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 11:03:36 AM »
I thought Ward was fine.  He probably would've had more of a chance to shine if the show's pace wasn't so fast.  But he certainly did as well as, say, Trebek on TTTT90.

And I really don't think either One on One was nearly as good as the regular game.  They were just messing with the format for the sake of trying something new, but IMO it wasn't worth the effort.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 11:04:22 AM by MCArroyo1 »

FOXSportsFan

TTTT 80
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 11:23:27 AM »
Robin Ward was to TTTT 80 as Pat Finn was to Joker 90 in many respects...robotic.

And, lemme second the greatness of Alan Kalter.  In my honest opinion, TTTT 80 was probably his best game show announcing performance.  With Pyramid and Moore/Garagiola TTTT he was on a little too much Jolt cola (though he was solid), but he was perfect on the 80-81 run.  BTW, I hope his shoulder is feeling better (he dislocated it as Dave mentioned on the Late Show I believe last week).

Though at first I rejected it, I can't help but like the TTTT 80 theme for some reason.  I wish I knew why, but it's just catchy to me.

Question: Was there any specific reason why TTTT 80 was so glitzy looking in terms of chase and neon lighting?  Was it just for the sake of being able to do so or were they attempting to give a nighttime flair to the show?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
TTTT 80
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 11:55:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Oct 28 2005, 09:09 AM\']2.  Ward himself.  He seems out of place with this panel.  From what i've read of TTTT '80, they reverted to a more 'classic' panel later in the run of the show, and this appears to be one of those episodes. 
[snapback]100651[/snapback]
[/quote]
Assuming Marshall Akers' panel guide is accurate, this ep was from the 4th week of the run.  And looking at the various panels for the 39 weeks of shows, it appears that every week featured at least one person who had done Moore/Garagiola's version (and prolly Collyer's too, but I can't confirm that).

Here's his panel guide from the 1980-81 season if you want to take a look.

Doug
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 11:56:14 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Jimmy Owen

TTTT 80
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 12:31:20 PM »
Alan was outstanding on TTTT.  His best work, though, was on "Money Maze.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

TTTT 80
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 12:54:56 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Oct 28 2005, 10:23 AM\']Though at first I rejected it, I can't help but like the TTTT 80 theme for some reason.  I wish I knew why, but it's just catchy to me.

Question: Was there any specific reason why TTTT 80 was so glitzy looking in terms of chase and neon lighting?  Was it just for the sake of being able to do so or were they attempting to give a nighttime flair to the show?
[snapback]100660[/snapback]
[/quote]

By 1980, if you didn't have flashing lights on the set, you couldn't be a game show.

And I've always loved the theme music for that incarnation and find the disco comparison puzzling, since it's not that 145 bpm "boom boom boom" that I associate with disco.  Later in the run, when they decided to turn off the applause sign and stop the sweetening halfway through the long credit rolls (although canned murmuring was kept in), it was nice hearing the bridge with the flute and piano solos.

megamanj1986

TTTT 80
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 01:26:30 PM »
Don't forget about that the 1980-81 version also sanked b/c of the prize money distribution. If I were in charge of that version, it should of been $100/incorrect vote and $1000 for a stump. But noooooooooo, it was the same $500 max prize from the '70s version. But hey TTTT is a panel show. What can you do about it?

Alan Kalter was pretty decent as was the chasing lights and neones on the set.

When I first heard the theme music for TTTT '80, it sounded a lot like PW+ w/ disco flavor to me.

Gus

TTTT 80
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 02:08:03 PM »
I've never seen the show, but listening to the theme online, it sounds to me like it would make a good TPIR cue if cut appropriately.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TTTT 80
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 02:26:42 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 28 2005, 09:54 AM\']And I've always loved the theme music for that incarnation and find the disco comparison puzzling, since it's not that 145 bpm "boom boom boom" that I associate with disco. 
[snapback]100670[/snapback]
[/quote]
This is because I think you are confusing "disco" with "techno". That theme is VERY disco. Go find an MP3 of The Hustle sometime. :)

ObGameShow: I've always thought The Hustle would make a great music bed for the car plug on a B-E show. "Any contestant who wins five games on our show will 'hustle' away with a very nice prize...Charlie, tell 'em about it!"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

The Ol' Guy

TTTT 80
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 03:42:03 PM »
Great minds think alike, Gus. A couple of months ago, I used Cool Edit Pro to splice together an extended intro that would work perfectly for a new main theme for TPIR...Come On Downs and all. If they ever felt they needed a change of main theme, they would sure save money. After all, if it worked for Double Dare/Card Sharks, why not here? Gotta admit TTTT80 is fast becoming one of my favorite themes.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 02:07:49 PM by The Ol' Guy »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
TTTT 80
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 04:58:39 PM »
I've seen two episodes from this run - one many of us have seen, the Larry King episode, and this one. This one is from earlier in the run and let me say, it looks like hell. By the time the King ep. came around, the set was tidied up, the camerawork/directing improved, and Ward himself wasn't as robotic. In this episode, it seems like he's following Chris Clementson's guide to hosting TTTT to the very last letter. And it bears mentioning again that this incarnation of One on One is just stupid.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

gsnstooge

TTTT 80
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 05:06:29 PM »
I thought the rotating parts of the set were awesome and it was cool the way the screen went smaller as they went to commercial.

WhammyPower

TTTT 80
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 05:31:17 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Oct 28 2005, 04:06 PM\']I thought it was cool the way the screen went smaller as they went to commercial.
[snapback]100701[/snapback]
[/quote]
Then you obviously haven't watched '86 Newlywed Game, which is the only one airing on GSN currently.

irismason42

TTTT 80
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 05:49:05 PM »
There happens to be 3 shows that had to make the screen smaller by a silhouette when they go to a commercial break:

To Tell The Truth '80-'81
The All New Newlywed Game(1985-87)[Seasons 1-2]
The All New Dating Game(1986-87)[Season 1]

Pyramid80

TTTT 80
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 06:09:36 PM »
I seem to recall that later in the run, the panel enters the same way that Robin Ward does instead of coming down the stairs behind the desk.  Or at least it was that way when Dick Clark was on the show several months back when it aired in the overnight hours as part of the Dream Derby thing.