Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC Deal or No Deal Clip  (Read 8535 times)

itiparanoid13

ABC Deal or No Deal Clip
« on: November 01, 2005, 02:52:20 PM »
Clip from RussLandau.com

Someone cued me onto this today, and I didn't know if it had surfaced by anyone or not.  $2.5M?  Jesus christ, that's a bit much, isn't it?  But I do like the set and sort of like the music.  I have no clue who that host is, maybe someone more knowledgable can clue me in.  The way they did the bank offer was sort of weird also.  "The bank reluctantly offers" just screams of Weakest Link to me.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
ABC Deal or No Deal Clip
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 02:57:58 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Nov 1 2005, 11:52 AM\']Clip from RussLandau.com

Someone cued me onto this today, and I didn't know if it had surfaced by anyone or not.  $2.5M?  Jesus christ, that's a bit much, isn't it?  But I do like the set and sort of like the music.  I have no clue who that host is, maybe someone more knowledgable can clue me in.  The way they did the bank offer was sort of weird also.  "The bank reluctantly offers" just screams of Weakest Link to me.
[snapback]100964[/snapback]
[/quote]
The link links to the site, not the clip.

And I can't get it to work for some reason. What format is it in?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
ABC Deal or No Deal Clip
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 02:59:37 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 1 2005, 02:57 PM\']The link links to the site, not the clip.
[/quote]
Probably because the last time someone did this, they were told they couldn't link directly to a file like this.
And I can't get it to work for some reason. What format is it in?
It didn't work for me either.  Such is I.E., probably.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

itiparanoid13

ABC Deal or No Deal Clip
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 03:00:12 PM »
The file shows up as Quicktime on my Mac.  I wonder why it's not working.  And I couldn't get a link directly to the video: the webpage is in Flash.  I'll see what to do about the video working, but that is strange.  My computer is horribly out of date and it's working.

clemon79

ABC Deal or No Deal Clip
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 03:04:07 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Nov 1 2005, 12:00 PM\']The file shows up as Quicktime on my Mac.  I wonder why it's not working.  And I couldn't get a link directly to the video: the webpage is in Flash.  I'll see what to do about the video working, but that is strange.  My computer is horribly out of date and it's working.
[snapback]100968[/snapback]
[/quote]
The answer is: I'm an idjit and wasn't patient enough. I got it rolling now.

My point with the link was, if you weren't linking directly to the clip, you should not have said the link was to the clip. I dunno, semantics. No big deal.

Apparently Patrick Kielty is some kind of UK comedian/"presenter", his IMDB entry includes the National Lottery draw for a few years. Fitting, I suppose, for a game that brags about the lack of skill it entails.

Matt Ottinger

ABC Deal or No Deal Clip
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 04:01:28 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Nov 1 2005, 03:52 PM\']Someone cued me onto this today, and I didn't know if it had surfaced by anyone or not.  $2.5M?  Jesus christ, that's a bit much, isn't it?  But I do like the set and sort of like the music.  I have no clue who that host is, maybe someone more knowledgable can clue me in.  The way they did the bank offer was sort of weird also.  "The bank reluctantly offers" just screams of Weakest Link to me.[/quote]
The Aussie show I saw didn't have a "talking" bank, but I can see that being a plus.

Look, the show is just a high-stakes game of chicken.  It's Treasure Hunt with bigger stakes, slightly more game play, and without the puffy-shirt tux.  The one player weeds out briefcases, and every so often, they stop to see what the "bank" will offer him to stop, which is always some intermediate amount based on which boxes are remaining.  Given the natural human predilection for greed, you're hardly ever going to see someone take the offer as long as a higher-stakes briefcase remains -- which is always the case.  If the bank was "reluctantly" offering $92,000, you can bet that most of the high-value boxes were still out there.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

StevensM

ABC Deal or No Deal Clip
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 05:10:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 1 2005, 04:01 PM\'][quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Nov 1 2005, 03:52 PM\']Someone cued me onto this today, and I didn't know if it had surfaced by anyone or not.  $2.5M?  Jesus christ, that's a bit much, isn't it?  But I do like the set and sort of like the music.  I have no clue who that host is, maybe someone more knowledgable can clue me in.  The way they did the bank offer was sort of weird also.  "The bank reluctantly offers" just screams of Weakest Link to me.[/quote]
The Aussie show I saw didn't have a "talking" bank, but I can see that being a plus.

Look, the show is just a high-stakes game of chicken.  It's Treasure Hunt with bigger stakes, slightly more game play, and without the puffy-shirt tux.  The one player weeds out briefcases, and every so often, they stop to see what the "bank" will offer him to stop, which is always some intermediate amount based on which boxes are remaining.  Given the natural human predilection for greed, you're hardly ever going to see someone take the offer as long as a higher-stakes briefcase remains -- which is always the case.  If the bank was "reluctantly" offering $92,000, you can bet that most of the high-value boxes were still out there.
[snapback]100980[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks for posting the link, itiparanoid.  I hadn't seen this (watched it with QuickTime).  One person who was at a contestant search last month said the auditioners were shown "the pilot" with the $2.5M prize, so this must've been what they saw.  I think the $2.5M briefcase is a good idea even if it's the only one above $1M, because that will inflate the bank's offers significantly; maybe that's why NBC lowered it.  I liked the talking bank and Patrick Kielty's accent in this pilot.

As for the game of chicken, I think you might see some people walk in this game.  If you remember the game of chicken in Pepsi Play for a Billion 2, no one would take the money because doing so automatically gave everyone else the chance to win more (and in the final round, the ultimate defeat: taking the $100K would make the other person a millionaire).  But here, if things work out so that there's a sizeable bank offer with a few very low value briefcases still left, it would make sense for someone to take the bank offer.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 05:14:27 PM by StevensM »

vtown7

ABC Deal or No Deal Clip
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 10:05:44 AM »
Is it just the link under "multimedia"?  If so I'm not having any luck!  Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong? :)

Cheers,

Ryan :)

Brig Bother

ABC Deal or No Deal Clip
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 06:46:25 PM »
It took me ages to work out as well but somebody told me you might have more luck if you hold down Control when clicking the link.

You'll need Quicktime Or Near Equivilent.

Brig Bother

ABC Deal or No Deal Clip
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 06:50:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 1 2005, 09:01 PM\']

[/quote]

They've nicked that from the Mexican version.

What they haven't nicjed from the Mexican version is that all the suitcases are opened by the 26 scantily-clad models.

It's a bit slow moving, but the host and audience are loud and lively so it's all quite good fun.

The British version seems to be polarising opinion. It's easy to understand why, but I think the show is more than the sum of its parts.

clemon79

ABC Deal or No Deal Clip
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 07:26:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Nov 2 2005, 03:50 PM\']What they haven't nicjed from the Mexican version is that all the suitcases are opened by the 26 scantily-clad models.
[snapback]101102[/snapback]
[/quote]
Which is surprising, because usually Mexican game shows are ALL ABOUT scantily-clad models. :)

/Oca! Oca!

tvwxman

ABC Deal or No Deal Clip
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 08:19:50 PM »
Checking out Bother's Bar for a review (and a pic of Noel hosting) of the UK version, it appears that there are two distinct versions of DonD....

The first one, the Aussie version, is the big bucks, big glitz production with the huge audience being whittled down to one player, and the 26 lookalike bimbos carrying the briefcases...Prizes are offered for the 25 'other' players if they can guess how much is in their briefcase....

The second one, which i've seen originate in France, but may have come from somewhere else (and is what the UK vers is mimicing), has a more low budget feel with 25 players already selected, each holding a "Treasure Hunt" like box. There are no bimbos, but different sound effects for various prizes.... and a slightly different format in how many boxes are opened at a time. The banker in this version, calls a phone, which is on the desk by the player.  It's got a more dramatic feel than the first version...and allows for a more 'devilish' host.

Anyone know which one Howie is going to host? I'm speculating it's the glitzier version, cause there have been some Craigslist ads for bimbos....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Brig Bother

ABC Deal or No Deal Clip
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 05:15:16 AM »
I'll put up more pictures of the format from around the world at the weekend.

uncamark

ABC Deal or No Deal Clip
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 12:59:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 2 2005, 07:26 PM\'][quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Nov 2 2005, 03:50 PM\']What they haven't nicjed from the Mexican version is that all the suitcases are opened by the 26 scantily-clad models.
[snapback]101102[/snapback]
[/quote]
Which is surprising, because usually Mexican game shows are ALL ABOUT scantily-clad models. :)

/Oca! Oca!
[snapback]101110[/snapback]
[/quote]

"Oca" was from Spain, but same difference.

I think I've mentioned before that I saw that even the Mexican version of "J!" had/has scantily-clad models who open the show with a dance number.

Brig Bother

ABC Deal or No Deal Clip
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 01:21:01 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 3 2005, 05:59 PM\']"Oca" was from Spain, but same difference.
[/quote]

There was also an Italian version, you know.

Yes, I was shocked that Italian shows would have scantily clad females in it too.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 01:21:38 PM by Brig Bother »