Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deal or No Deal taping. (No game play spoilers)  (Read 12117 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Deal or No Deal taping. (No game play spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2005, 10:39:11 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 07:35 AM\']Why is this necessary? Isn't declaring "Deal" or "No Deal" the essence of the game? Have other versions added a big flashy button for dramatics?
[snapback]101594[/snapback]
[/quote]
This is just a guess, but I'm thinking maybe they're going to go with a "Deal or No Deal. You have ten seconds to decide," followed by some kind of flashy music bed and a long slow zoom on the player agonizing over the decision.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2005, 10:54:28 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 07:39 AM\'][quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 07:35 AM\']Why is this necessary? Isn't declaring "Deal" or "No Deal" the essence of the game? Have other versions added a big flashy button for dramatics?
[snapback]101594[/snapback]
[/quote]
This is just a guess, but I'm thinking maybe they're going to go with a "Deal or No Deal. You have ten seconds to decide," followed by some kind of flashy music bed and a long slow zoom on the player agonizing over the decision.
[snapback]101595[/snapback]
[/quote]
With a properly warmed-up audience [   ;-)   ] the screaming is deafening. The player is making various signals looking for advice from his family/friends seated nearby on a couch, while they are all signaling "stop" and/or "go". With all the insanity, the red flashing button makes for a definitive response while the camera shots alternate between the contestant, his family/friends, the button, and the audience.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 10:54:53 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2005, 11:52:04 AM »
The descriptions look promising.

If NBC plays their cards right and gives this show respect, getting the good ratings and revenue it deserves, I think I might smell some competition from other networks.

Super Millionaire might come back for a short spurt?

The unaired TPiR Million-Dollar Spectacular will finally air?

Who knows what the future may hold...:)
-Sanford

Don Howard

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2005, 12:02:01 PM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 11:52 AM\']If NBC plays their cards right and gives this show respect, getting the good ratings and revenue it deserves, I think I might smell some competition from other networks.
[snapback]101600[/snapback]
[/quote]
It would also be helpful if they didn't blow finishes in promos. The way they did that with Twenty One was sickening straight to the bowels.

clemon79

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2005, 12:30:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 09:02 AM\']It would also be helpful if they didn't blow finishes in promos. The way they did that with Twenty One was sickening straight to the bowels.
[snapback]101601[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh, mark my words, the day someone wins the million dollars, they will pimp the hell out of it in a completely idiotic fashion.

Randy, will you / are you able to speak to how Howie did as a game-show host? Is he more of a host, or is he more of Howie Mandel?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 12:31:51 PM by clemon79 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2005, 01:33:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 06:06 AM\'][quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 03:42 AM\']Over in Palace, we had one case where the last two remaining briefcases were the $2 million and some small number. The bank offer HAD to be worth over a million. [/quote]It doesn't at all. A crafty banker would have offered something in the $750-800,000 range, knowing full well that the prospect of losing three-quarters of a million is more of a disaster than winning two million is a good thing. If you see what I mean.[/quote]
Exactly what I was going to say. (Except not exactly in those words...)  I honestly would put the bank offer much lower even than that, maybe around $300-$400K.  That's actually how you get around the big-G Greed problem of bailing too early; don't make the bailout number so high.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvrandywest

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2005, 03:08:56 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 09:30 AM\']Randy, will you / are you able to speak to how Howie did as a game-show host? Is he more of a host, or is he more of Howie Mandel?
[snapback]101602[/snapback]
[/quote]
It's Howie at his best, far more witty than slapstick, and he serves the show perfectly. I was very impressed and enjoyed working with him.

Most of my adventures end up chronicled on My website news page at www.tvrandywest.com. Here's what's posted regarding "Deal or No Deal":

NBC's press releases clear the way for me to share my excitement over working on network television's next experiment with a big money game show, "Deal or No Deal". We taped five one-hour episodes of the popular Endemol game format that is already on the air in 38 countries.

NBC's peacock is crowing that it's "a big, exciting game show that contains nail-biting drama and hefty cash prizes". Howie Mandel is hosting this big money extravaganza in which contestants attempt to win a million dollars contained in one lucky brief case from among 26 offered by a bevy of beautiful models. The drama builds as the contents of the brief cases are revealed and the contestant is tempted by a "banker" with offers of hard, cold cash to abandon the big money search.

Howie is wonderful in finding the perfect balance between maximizing the game's drama, drawing out the contestant's emotional responses to his/her challenges, as well as finding humor in the show, the situations, and the contestants. It makes for a wonderfully entertaining hour.

Having worked on NBC's previous primetime games "Weakest Link" and "Twenty One", I'm thrilled to continue with the network's forays towards returning game shows to the glory they enjoyed in previous decades as staples of primetime programming. With it's exciting staging on a huge and elaborate set in one of the largest studios in town, "Deal or No Deal" is indeed a really big deal!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 03:20:52 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2005, 03:55:39 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 04:08 PM\']. Here's what will be posted regarding "Deal or No Deal":
<SNIP>[/quote]
WHAT have we told you people about quoting entire press releases???

Oops..I mean...uh...never mind...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 03:57:04 PM by Matt Ottinger »

clemon79

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2005, 04:01:11 PM »
Can I just take a moment to say that I really enjoy having Randy West as part of our little family? We get stuff from him that we would NEVER get otherwise.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this opinion, but I don't think it gets said out loud nearly often enough. Thanks, Randy.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2005, 04:11:36 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 05:01 PM\']I'm sure I'm not alone in this opinion, but I don't think it gets said out loud nearly often enough. Thanks, Randy.[/quote]
The only bad thing about his success with TPIR Live is that it keeps him away from us too much.  Let's hope DoND becomes a monster hit and he can stay closer to home for a while.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2005, 04:19:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 03:11 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 05:01 PM\']I'm sure I'm not alone in this opinion, but I don't think it gets said out loud nearly often enough. Thanks, Randy.[/quote]
The only bad thing about his success with TPIR Live is that it keeps him away from us too much.  Let's hope DoND becomes a monster hit and he can stay closer to home for a while.
[snapback]101626[/snapback]
[/quote]
Hear hear!  On both of your thoughts.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2005, 05:13:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 04:11 PM\']The only bad thing about his success with TPIR Live is that it keeps him away from us too much.  Let's hope DoND becomes a monster hit and he can stay closer to home for a while.
[/quote]

Hmmm...while in A.C., has Randy owned and carried a laptop with wireless internet access to respond to these enlightening forum inquiries?  Hehe!  But that's just my guestimation.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 05:13:43 PM by pianogeek »
-Sanford

asertv

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2005, 12:19:08 AM »
Howie did an awesome job!!!  Having to work over such a monster set inside spacious Stage 46, audience sections everywhere, converse with 26 models, and play a tremendous (IMO) traffic cop to big money and overwhelming emotions... Kudos to Howie!!!  Oh... and will someone answer that darn phone!!!!! (oh wait - is that too much info... sorry)

Kevin Prather

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2005, 12:35:08 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 02:11 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 05:01 PM\']I'm sure I'm not alone in this opinion, but I don't think it gets said out loud nearly often enough. Thanks, Randy.[/quote]
[snapback]101626[/snapback]
[/quote]

Agreed!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2005, 03:48:55 AM »
What's to keep this game from becoming dreadfully monotonous? It frankly sounds like a one-note-song to me. What'll be left after the novelty wears off?

Imagine playing Punch-A-Bunch six times per day, every day. Or Let's Make A Deal with one deal played over and over.