Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TiVo Alert...  (Read 7528 times)

uncamark

TiVo Alert...
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2005, 12:47:28 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 04:55 PM\'][I do believe you're right on all counts.  The scaled-down set for WH! did utilize GONG's wall patterns pretty well (I didn't look closely enough to see if they were legit).  But if KTLA = Golden West, then that's exactly where they taped.

I haven't seen the S&S GONG episode in ages, but I wonder--for two weeks in June 1978 (which would've been well after the S&S ep aired initially), GONG used a smaller-scale set with the band on stage (one of those eps was the one that introduced Michael Winslow to America).  I wonder if part of that same set was also used for the S&S show.

Shame on me for not remembering having seen the Burnett sketch.

Doug
[snapback]101641[/snapback]
[/quote]

KTLA was owned by Golden West, Gene Autry's company.  Their outside production division was called "Golden West Videotape Division."

And since TVL's ep guides to "Carol Burnett and Friends" only list Family sketches as "The Family," I can't say whether the "Gong Show" sketch is included in the package or if it's coming up any time soon on the weekend airings.  (Carol did much more than 151 shows, the number in the "Carol and Friends" package.)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
TiVo Alert...
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2005, 01:00:21 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 8 2005, 11:47 AM\']And since TVL's ep guides to "Carol Burnett and Friends" only list Family sketches as "The Family," I can't say whether the "Gong Show" sketch is included in the package or if it's coming up any time soon on the weekend airings.  (Carol did much more than 151 shows, the number in the "Carol and Friends" package.)
[snapback]101722[/snapback]
[/quote]
And to dovetail your point, I haven't really found a good definitive Burnett episode guide on the web (there's a text one with a show-by-show airdate listing and who the guest stars were and a couple of highlights for some of the eps, but it's by no means as inclusive as some other show episode guides I've seen).

Weren't there a couple of cycles of CB&F reruns?  I seem to recall one cycle that was almost all sketches, with choreographer Ernest Flatt's name stripped from the credits (but the associate choreographer's name left in), then another set that allowed some musical sequences with Flatt's name included.  (If yes, TVL prolly cleared eps from both but perhaps not all?)

ObGS:  Burnett's show taped in Studio 33 at CBS TV City.  Wonder what's there now.  Hmmmm.

Doug
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 01:02:52 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ian Wallis

TiVo Alert...
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2005, 02:35:56 PM »
(Carol did much more than 151 shows, the number in the "Carol and Friends" package.)

Since it's a well-known fact that Carol did more than 151 shows, I wonder why the syndicators decided on that number.  When you consider that most stations that originally aired the show probably aired it five days a week, you'd think 130 would be a more logical number, because each episode could be aired twice within a year.

Things that make you go hmmm....   (cue C&C Music Factory!)  :)

Ob GameShows:  Carol Burnett was a guest on "Password".
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

SRIV94

TiVo Alert...
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2005, 02:57:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Nov 8 2005, 01:35 PM\']Since it's a well-known fact that Carol did more than 151 shows, I wonder why the syndicators decided on that number. 
[snapback]101729[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm not sure they did.  TVL has 151 half-hours available for air, but I tend to think that there were others that haven't been cleared.  As I said in the post above I seem to recall a second cycle of reruns, some that actually had musical numbers (one of which contained a snazzy Bernadette Peters tap routine, a small piece of which was shown in Burnett's first clipfest special as well as during her recent DVD infomercial).  It's hard to tell from the TVL site, but I don't think that episode was cleared in their package.  I've been seeking a definitive ep guide to try to pinpoint it down further but have not met with much success.

Doug
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ian Wallis

TiVo Alert...
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2005, 03:19:01 PM »
Then maybe Burnett has a case of "WKRP"-itis.  What I mean by that is, WKRP had lots of background pop music in their shows too - which were OK for the first few years of reruns.  But now it would cost too much to license a lot of that again, and much of the background music has been stripped and changed to something generic (that's one reason the series hasn't yet appeard on DVD).

Maybe there were more of Burnett's shows in initial rerun packages which are now no longer clearable because of the music.

And the search goes on...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

rugrats1

TiVo Alert...
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2005, 09:01:57 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 8 2005, 12:47 PM\']...since TVL's ep guides to "Carol Burnett and Friends" only list Family sketches as "The Family," I can't say whether the "Gong Show" sketch is included in the package...[/quote]

I recall seeing the "Gong Show" sketch once on CB&F.

... or if it's coming up any time soon on the weekend airings.

Considering that Eunice (Carol's "Family" character) sings Morris Albert's "Feelings", it all depends on how much TV Land ponies up for the rights to the song.

Of course, on the real Gong Show in the 1970s, I recall an episode where all the contestants sung "Feelings" -- and got gonged.

SRIV94

TiVo Alert...
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2005, 09:45:35 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Nov 8 2005, 08:01 PM\']Of course, on the real Gong Show in the 1970s, I recall an episode where all the contestants sung "Feelings" -- and got gonged.
[snapback]101759[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm fairly certain that somebody made it through unscathed.  (Shame GSN couldn't clear the episode for air so that I'd know for sure.)

I do know of two eps where nobody won--the 3/18/77 show (Steve Martin on the panel, and also playing banjo on stage--twice), and the 7/18/78 show (from the final week--three acts were brought back and not rated, and the new ones trotted out were all awful).  TTBOMK, I don't believe there were any others.

Doug
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 09:46:45 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug

uncamark

TiVo Alert...
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2005, 05:54:08 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Nov 8 2005, 08:45 PM\'][quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Nov 8 2005, 08:01 PM\']Of course, on the real Gong Show in the 1970s, I recall an episode where all the contestants sung "Feelings" -- and got gonged.
[snapback]101759[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm fairly certain that somebody made it through unscathed.  (Shame GSN couldn't clear the episode for air so that I'd know for sure.)
[snapback]101766[/snapback]
[/quote]

There were a couple who did get through--but not many.

Of course, this was the tribute to the song most heard in auditions--the second most heard song, "The Way We Were," got a similar treatment, most memorably for the rather, uh, large non-contestant woman who sang it as "Mammaries/Like the corners of my mind..."