Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Regis to host This is Your Life on ABC  (Read 5053 times)

goongas

Matt Ottinger

Regis to host This is Your Life on ABC
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 11:11:53 AM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 09:13 AM\']This is Your Life Yahoo! News Story[/quote]
Seriously mixed emotions here.  I think the time is certainly ripe for a revival of this old chestnut, and Regis is a fine choice to host.  It's all well and good when you have a person who's actually had a "life" worth talking about. Naturally, the problem is going to be their logical tendency to go for the hot current name, who might be some child of the moment.  "Ashley Simpson, This Is Your Life!" are six words I'm not looking forward to hearing.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 11:18:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 10:11 AM\'][quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 09:13 AM\']This is Your Life Yahoo! News Story[/quote]
Seriously mixed emotions here.  I think the time is certainly ripe for a revival of this old chestnut, and Regis is a fine choice to host.  It's all well and good when you have a person who's actually had a "life" worth talking about. Naturally, the problem is going to be their logical tendency to go for the hot current name, who might be some child of the moment.  "Ashley Simpson, This Is Your Life!" are six words I'm not looking forward to hearing.
[snapback]101917[/snapback]
[/quote]

And if they're going to do it on network television, it should be once again a live show with no advance indication of who the subject's going to be.  I honestly think that that was a major factor in the original popularity of the show--and it also allows you to do the lives of non-celebrities who had fascinating lives.  When the combination of leaks and bicycling forced the 70s syndicated version to reveal the subjects in advance (of course, after the shows were taped), it hurt both the surprise factor and the ability to do subjects that were just interesting people, since the feeling was that they couldn't afford to choose non-celebs.

(Advice to ABC--use Andy Geller on the promos.  This is not a show for Sitcom/Reality Voice-Over Guy.)

Don Howard

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 11:18:40 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 11:11 AM\']"Ashley Simpson, This Is Your Life!" are six words I'm not looking forward to hearing.
[/quote]
That segment oughtta kill about two minutes.

goongas

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 11:35:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 12:11 PM\'][quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 09:13 AM\']This is Your Life Yahoo! News Story[/quote]
Naturally, the problem is going to be their logical tendency to go for the hot current name, who might be some child of the moment.  "Ashley Simpson, This Is Your Life!" are six words I'm not looking forward to hearing.
[/quote]

They may do some non-celebrities.  People seem to enjoy the stories of non-celebrities on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.  (But they may be watching to see the house remodeled...).  I share your concern though.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 11:45:53 AM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 12:35 PM\']They may do some non-celebrities.  People seem to enjoy the stories of non-celebrities on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.  (But they may be watching to see the house remodeled...).  I share your concern though.[/quote]
I doubt they'll profile regular folks, and I'm surprised that the news story made a point that the original show did.  If it did, I sure don't remember it, and it's certainly not what anybody talks about today.  This is about star power, and as Mark said, about the element of surprise.  Unfortunately, how likely is it that ABC's publicity machine would keep a lid on the identity of the subject?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 12:37:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 08:11 AM\']"Ashley Simpson, This Is Your Life!" are six words I'm not looking forward to hearing.
[/quote]
"Boy, that hoedown clip sure was a hoot. Let's watch it again!"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 12:40:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 11:45 AM\']Unfortunately, how likely is it that ABC's publicity machine would keep a lid on the identity of the subject?
[snapback]101922[/snapback]
[/quote]
Tomorrow! Brad Pitt is told (voice of Regis: THIS IS YOUR LIFE!!!) with an array of guests and wait'll you see who shows up to surprise him (amazed look on Brad's face as he says, "Oh, my God, it's Larry Hagman!!!!!!!!!"). It's an hour of surprises [all of which are blown in the promotional advertisement] you won't want to miss as Regis Philbin hosts the return of This Is Your Life ABC tomorrow.

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 12:47:29 PM »
For as certain as I am that The Mouse will find a way to screw this up, it at least has to be better than My Kind Of Town, which, while I admit to having liked it the first week, was as much of a one-trick pony as I've seen in a long time.

If it doesn't conflict with anything more interesting I have a Season Pass for, I'll Tivo it at least once.

tomobrien

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 12:58:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 10:45 AM\']I doubt they'll profile regular folks, and I'm surprised that the news story made a point that the original show did. 
[snapback]101922[/snapback]
[/quote]
The original TIYL did show some "regular folks," but always ones who had some particularly heroic story to tell of their triumph over adversity (e.g., Holocaust survivor, or shipwreck survivor).  But you're right--it's the celebrity spots you remember.  (Heck, I'm still trying to find the plaque the show put up in Marshall Field's downtown Chicago store honoring Dorothy Lamour's stint as an elevator operator there!)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 02:46:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 08:18 AM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 11:11 AM\']"Ashley Simpson, This Is Your Life!" are six words I'm not looking forward to hearing.
[/quote]
That segment oughtta kill about two minutes.
[snapback]101919[/snapback]
[/quote]
1:30 of which are commercials.

Not to worry, I've locked up the rights to the spinoff show: "If You Had a Life".

ANNOUNCER: Ashely Simpson, If You Had a Life! (There, doesn't that sound better?)

HOST: And now we're going to meet someone who is very special to you, Ashley. This person has shaped you and molded you and made you what you are today. Here he is, renowned Beverly Hills cosmetic surgeon Dr. Charley Lipschitz!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 02:56:31 PM by chris319 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 02:52:24 PM »
I doubt they'll profile regular folks
Wouldn't they be more likely to get tear-jerky reactions from civilians than from celebs? Especially if they do reunions?

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 03:17:17 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 11:46 AM\']HOST: And now we're going to meet someone who is very special to you, Ashley. This person has shaped you and molded you and made you what you are today. Here he is, renowned Beverly Hills cosmetic surgeon Dr. Charley Lipschitz!
[snapback]101938[/snapback]
[/quote]
With the schnozz that one has on her, if she HAS had cosmetic surgery, I'd demand my money back. :)

Robair

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 11:42:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 11:11 AM\']"Ashlee Simpson, This Is Your Life!" are six words I'm not looking forward to hearing.[/quote]

Eva Longoria made it quickly to mind. But then knowing her she'd PAy for the privilege...
--Robair

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2005, 12:55:14 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 09:37 AM\']"Boy, that hoedown clip sure was a hoot. Let's watch it again!"[/quote]You sure that isn't from the Ryan Stiles segment? ((8=) ))

Esoteric Eric, who keeps meaning to look for a Whose Line...? message board
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976