Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows that could have competed with Wheel and Jep  (Read 7069 times)

nbcburbank

Shows that could have competed with Wheel and Jep
« on: November 16, 2005, 05:23:43 AM »
Let's pretend that any two Game shows from the past could be revived exactly in the form they once were. This includes the same host which helped to make it popular. What two Game shows do you think could have had success competing against todays Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy? I think Match Game and Password Plus could give Wheel and Jep a run for their money.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 10:35:49 AM »
[quote name=\'nbcburbank\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 06:23 AM\']Let's pretend that any two Game shows from the past could be revived exactly in the form they once were. This includes the same host which helped to make it popular...I think Match Game and Password Plus could give Wheel and Jep a run for their money.
[snapback]102344[/snapback]
[/quote]

If we held it up to your standard, that could never happen. Guess why?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

cmjb13

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 10:43:30 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 10:35 AM\'][quote name=\'nbcburbank\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 06:23 AM\']Let's pretend that any two Game shows from the past could be revived exactly in the form they once were. This includes the same host which helped to make it popular...I think Match Game and Password Plus could give Wheel and Jep a run for their money.
[/quote]

[snapback]102359[/snapback]
[/quote]
I would imagine they assume the hosts were still alive.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Don Howard

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 11:01:10 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 10:43 AM\'][quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 10:35 AM\'][quote name=\'nbcburbank\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 06:23 AM\']Let's pretend that any two Game shows from the past could be revived exactly in the form they once were. This includes the same host which helped to make it popular...I think Match Game and Password Plus could give Wheel and Jep a run for their money.
[/quote]
[snapback]102359[/snapback]
[/quote]
I would imagine they assume the hosts were still alive.
[snapback]102363[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm going to give our new member the benefit of the doubt and presume that he is expecting Ross Shafer and Tom Kennedy to host them.

cmjb13

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 11:24:08 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 11:01 AM\'] I'm going to give our new member the benefit of the doubt and presume that he is expecting Ross Shafer and Tom Kennedy to host them.
[snapback]102366[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't think Ross made Match Game popular.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 11:24:41 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 11:49:26 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 11:24 AM\']I don't think Ross made Match Game popular.
[snapback]102367[/snapback]
[/quote]
I agree.  Mike Berger did.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 01:40:27 PM »
Without a doubt, Uncle Jim's Question Bee and How Do You Like Your Eggs?.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 02:22:50 PM »
Going back to the original topic for just a second.

I take you back to 1983, when Wheel premiered as a syndicated show. At the time, what were the big 3 syndie shows? The Joker's Wild, Tic Tac Dough, and of course, Feud.

When Wheel first premiered, the original thought was that it wouldn't make as big a dent as the others had (namely Feud). But by September of 1986, Wheel was left alone by itself, with J! being second.

And even though the latest version of Match Game probably didn't have very good timeslots (namely the graveyard shift at WCBS), in the markets where it was going up against the WheelJeopernaut (lame, I know.) it probably wasn't doing very well. And there probably is a reason why there hasn't been a revival of any sort of Password game since 1989, although I don't know what that might be.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled ridicule, already in progress.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

nbcburbank

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 03:11:29 PM »
My original question was making the assumption that the host would still be alive Today. Operating on that assumption perhaps we can get some more responses. Of all the Game Shows of the past 50 years there just has to be two shows that you think could give Wheel and Jep a run for their money. What would they be?

dzinkin

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 03:13:12 PM »
[quote name=\'nbcburbank\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 03:11 PM\']My original question was making the assumption that the host would still be alive Today. Operating on that assumption perhaps we can get some more responses. Of all the Game Shows of the past 50 years there just has to be two shows that you think could give Wheel and Jep a run for their money. What would they be?
[snapback]102401[/snapback]
[/quote]
Missus Goes-A-Shopping and CBS Television Quiz.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 03:24:56 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 12:13 PM\']Missus Goes-A-Shopping
[snapback]102402[/snapback]
[/quote]
GSWitch's head just asploded.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 09:07:42 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 03:24 PM\']GSWitch's head just asploded.[/quote]

Now *there's* a show that would get ratings.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Steve_Bier

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 10:08:53 PM »
[quote name=\'nbcburbank\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 03:11 PM\']My original question was making the assumption that the host would still be alive Today. Operating on that assumption perhaps we can get some more responses. Of all the Game Shows of the past 50 years there just has to be two shows that you think could give Wheel and Jep a run for their money. What would they be?
[snapback]102401[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, Mindreaders would be one of them....

The other would be a nice, new show called "irismason42slovebuffet" (spelled exactly as is).

catkins522

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 10:31:43 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 03:13 PM\']Missus Goes-A-Shopping and CBS Television Quiz.
[snapback]102402[/snapback]
[/quote]

No, No, No...  Celebrity Bowling for Dollars and 60's version of Supermarket Sweep...  (sorry Randy...)

Charles A.
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

nbcburbank

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 11:04:41 PM »
Ok now I get it. It's everyone is a comedian day here at the Game Show Forum. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some serious answers.